Can we disable one of two PCIx slots?

an1r0n

2 posts in this topic

Hey all,

After having loads of trouble with GTX460, regarding Fermi Freeze issues and KP's I really want to try something else. Besides GTX460 I have a 8800GT, and I was wondering if it's possible to assign one to OSX and other to Windows? Of course, for this you need two PCIx slots.

I assume we cannot disable graphic card, but can we disable second PCIx slot? That way OS X wont see second PCIx slot and will be using the first graphic card.

Any ideas on how to do it? DSDT?

Thanks!

an1r0n

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

After having loads of trouble with GTX460, regarding Fermi Freeze issues and KP's I really want to try something else. Besides GTX460 I have a 8800GT, and I was wondering if it's possible to assign one to OSX and other to Windows? Of course, for this you need two PCIx slots.

I assume we cannot disable graphic card, but can we disable second PCIx slot? That way OS X wont see second PCIx slot and will be using the first graphic card.

Any ideas on how to do it? DSDT?

Thanks!

an1r0n

Not without some BIOS hacking, one option would be to port your motherboard over to Coreboot ( This is easy if your chipset and SuperIO is already supported by Coreboot ) and in the devicetree.cb set the device to off. You could easily hack in a flag to switch them on and off. If you would like more information let me know and I'll divulge what I can.

I'm currently looking at adding Chameleon as a payload and purely using Coreboot to bootstrap the hardware.