My web host nightmare!

spclffred

2 posts in this topic

Hi all im jeremy and im new here. Love site btw.

Im sure plenty of us here have some knowledge on running websites, hosting, domains and whatnot.

Well me and a buddy started a site called www.pimpit.dreamhosters.com , now mind you this is his account i just use to setup the site. Im warning this is not a host you will want to deal with in the futur. It wasnt my choice to choose this host, it was my buddys. Now my first complaint is the control panal for the host just sucks balls. On top of that its a pain to create a new database. A while back we started our site out to using phpbb2. The forum population started to grow and started getting more and more of a pain to handle. So i decided to swith to vbulletin. Now remember when i said creating a database was hell, well it was, hehe. After a couple hours i finally got the database going, And vbulletin installed. For a few weeks now the site runs fine. Now comes the time for forum clean up and VB upgrade. Well the clean up went well. But..... The upgrade for some odd reason didnt agree with the DB(I think the DB is a femail :D:P ). So since the first step of the upgrade went forward it stopped on the second part. So i had already uploaded the new fies to the server, obviously the site is non functional. So i was like theres no way of fixing that besides reinsalling VB( and yea i know what your thinking :blink: ) . Well before i cleaned and did the upgrade i backed up the database as normal ppl would do, and my backup sql size was 14mb. Now i have vb installed and here i go once again to the control panel( i wish it was cpanel) and im able to get to phpmyadmin and i go to import my database, and guess what.....The y friggin limit the import sql size to 10mb. For the love of god i had a bad day today. It really feels good to let some steam out and smoke a cigarette.

All in all please avoid hosting companys like this.

How much are you paying for hosting? Usually cheaper hosting will limit mysql and php setting. Problems like php data upload size can easily be resolved if you contact the admin and have him import the db for you. You might be able to increase the upload file size through .htaccess depending on how they set up the server.

If they give you a hard time, post it on a web host review site. Sorry for your troubles, but that's just how it is for most shared hosting services.