Noobie Completely Baffled, Sorry!

Drawllimuk

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I'm a noobie, so sorry and please be nice!! :(

I have just tried installing iAtkos v7 and everything seemed to be going smoothly up until it tried installing. The installing bar sat at around 20% for over an hour and didn't seem to do anything else.

So the next thing I tried was the updated iPC. When I tried installing that, I then hit the grey apple spash screen with the not working sign in the middle. Doing a verbose boot, in iPC states that it can't find the root device.

So I have tried checking on my hardware and it seems that some people have done it with the same hardware. I have read through installation guides etc, but I just seem to be getting even more confused.... :blink:

I have MSI- MS7093 Motherboard.

2 Gig of memory

3 Harddrive: 110GB Windows 7, 60gb for data and a 40GB hard drive for the Mac OS X.

So I am kinda hoping that someone can help me!!

Many Thanks.

Simon

Hi everyone.

I'm a noobie, so sorry and please be nice!! :police:

I have just tried installing iAtkos v7 and everything seemed to be going smoothly up until it tried installing. The installing bar sat at around 20% for over an hour and didn't seem to do anything else.

So the next thing I tried was the updated iPC. When I tried installing that, I then hit the grey apple spash screen with the not working sign in the middle. Doing a verbose boot, in iPC states that it can't find the root device.

So I have tried checking on my hardware and it seems that some people have done it with the same hardware. I have read through installation guides etc, but I just seem to be getting even more confused.... :thumbsup_anim:

I have MSI- MS7093 Motherboard.

2 Gig of memory

3 Harddrive: 110GB Windows 7, 60gb for data and a 40GB hard drive for the Mac OS X.

So I am kinda hoping that someone can help me!!

Many Thanks.

Simon

Hi Simon

First off, try booting the Iatkos DVD using the following boot flags (press f8 as it boots to be able to enter boot flags)

Then type:

-x -v cpus=1 busratio=20

and then see if the install goes better.

Any reason you are using Iatkos V7 and not Iatkos S3 (v2) ?

Iatkos S3(v2) is a much better distro or you could try a full retail install using TonyMac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] guide.

Don't give up, it's very frustrating at first, probably worse than learning a new language but you'll learn more and more as you go along and there is lots of info out there.

Make sure with Iatkos that you only install the options you actually need and do not add stuff you are not sure about. Another trick with Iatkos is to select the RTC-32Bit and deselect RTC in the customisation screen. This can get you past CPU kernel panics which are caused by the 64 Bit RTC (Real Time Clock).

Once you have a working system you can start tuning and of course you can always end up crashing your install during the process of loading new kexts (drivers) specific to your hardware.

Never panic when you get a kernel panic. Simply press f8 at boot time and add the -x flag and boot in safe mode which will allow you to get back to desktop in safe mode and remove the faulty kext (driver) you loaded.

Always make sure to use Kext Utility to repair permissions after installing a kext, also suggest using Kext helper to install the kext for you.

It's a great feeling when you do get it working and once you get your machine more customised and better recognised by OSX the better it becomes.

Good luck :)

Some good resources for OSX86:

www.kexts.com

www.tonymacx86.com

uphuck.ggrn.de

www.hackintosh.org

and of course this web site InsanelyMac :)

Doing a verbose boot, in iPC states that it can't find the root device.

Welcome to The Internet, where a lot of useful information is available to you if you just put in that little extra effort to find it.

Whenever you see an error message like that, try typing it into google or the InsanelyMac forum search to learn what it means and how to fix it.

Many thanks mitchellkza. That is great. It has pointed me in the right direction. Hopefully I can now have a working system. All help is much appreciated!! ;)

Welcome to The Internet, where a lot of useful information is available to you if you just put in that little extra effort to find it.

Whenever you see an error message like that, try typing it into google or the InsanelyMac forum search to learn what it means and how to fix it.

Oooohhhh someone got out of the wrong side of the bed didn't they???? :P

In all seriousness, don't you think that I may have already tried that????

I just thought that there maybe someone pleasant that could help. After all being a newbie to the world of Hackintosh, I have to start somewhere right??

Oooohhhh someone got out of the wrong side of the bed didn't they???? ;)

Gringo Vermelho is probably one of our best "gurus", even if he doesn't have the badge.

What a shame that n00bs don't like uncomfortable truths.

http://www.google.it/#sclient=psy&hl=e...08b59ddb4e27e4f

I just thought that there maybe someone pleasant that could help. After all being a newbie to the world of Hackintosh, I have to start somewhere right??

Google or the forum search are great places where to start. It is all many of us needed.

Gringo Vermelho is probably one of our best "gurus", even if he doesn't have the badge.

What a shame that n00bs don't like uncomfortable truths.

http://www.google.it/#sclient=psy&hl=e...08b59ddb4e27e4f

Google or the forum search are great places where to start. It is all many of us needed.

Please don't take it the wrong way... ;) I wasn't meaning to have a go....

I was having a bad day and getting a comment like 'Welcome to The Internet' was just uncalled for...

Not really.

I've been around for two years now and sometimes it can be disturbing to see people post and say they have spent hours or days fighting an issue that they could have solved themselves by doing a simple google or forum search and doing some reading.

Particularly in case of "Still Waiting For Root Device", you can find the information you need faster if you search for it yourself instead of writing, posting and then waiting for someone to help you. As I said it's probably the most asked Hackintosh question of all time. Of course you don't know that yet but that doesn't make it any less true.

It's difficult to believe. Your initial post certainly doesn't indicate that you have. All I can see is that you threw another random hacked install DVD at the problem, and that you read some guides that confused you. Other than "Still Waiting For Root Device" there is absolutely no indication of what kind of problems you have that could prevent the installation from finishing, and therefore it is very difficult to help you.

mitchellkza posted some non-specific, general ideas that might or might not work, there is no way to know if any of his suggestions will actually work for you. Reading between the lines, he's suggesting (as am I) that you do your homework so that you can make informed decisions.

That's the type of answer that you're going to get when you don't ask specific questions. Sometimes this type of answer contains information that you can't use at all, or something completely wrong. And that happens because you didn't provide enough information.

For example, a completely random bus ratio with no base in reality was suggested. Here's how to determine your actual bus ratio:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240542

You need to provide more information or at least put together some specific questions. Most of the knowledgeable people around here don't like to play the guessing game, and having to drag necessary information out of someone in order to help them is no fun either.

I can tell you that all the hacked install DVDs have a 'customize' button that you're supposed to click before proceeding with the installation. From there, you're supposed to pick the appropriate drivers for your hardware. This is what makes the installation work - unless you pick the wrong drivers, or conflicting drivers. Know your hardware.

Anyway, how far did you get - did you ever get it working?