completely stuck, cant boot into os x or 7

Ryohei47

35 posts in this topic

wait a second! if i cant boot into windows 7, how can i use acronis??? is there a OSX compatible product like that?

You need to install it on a computer with Windows on it and create a rescue CD. A program made for OS X would probably work on real Macs only.

so i just got acronis disk director and a new hard drive. i already have OSX installed, so what should my procedure be?

wait a second! if i cant boot into windows 7, how can i use acronis??? is there a OSX compatible product like that?

I looked around for a screenshot of Gparted showing more than one OS installed on the same one drive. http://ompldr.org/vNXQyNg

This screenshot shows Windows 7 and Linux. It would be better if it showed Windows=NTFS and Snow Leopard. The point is, that if you are still able to boot SL now, you should see a screen when you use Gparted which shows Snow Leopard installed. The key is whether the NTFS partitions are missing when you run Gparted again. The screenshot that I've included above is so that you know what it looks like when you have NTFS partitions detected in Gparted, so then you also know what it looks like when the NTFS partitions are missing, as may well be the case presently. This matters, because if the NTFS partitions are missing, it is more difficult to get satisfactory data recovery.

It's possible, but I don't think Windows will boot again on that drive, but you may be able to retrieve pictures and documents from it.

If you have IDE drives, the new drive should go in the Primary IDE port on the mobo. The not working right drive, move it to the secondary IDE port on the mobo. If you have sata drives, connect the new drive to the sata 1 port. This may not be absolutely necessary, but I don't see a downside to it, see Gringo Vermelho's posts on this.

Install windows to your new drive = sda . I would unhook the other drive and take no chances of overwriting your SL partition of your second drive = sdb. Install Acronis onto your new Windows drive. I think that the Acronis Recovery portion may need to be written to a dvd. Now hook up your second drive. Boot to Windows (sda) again and install Easybcd and see if you can add the SL drive.

I noticed that there is a User Guide that a person can download for Acronis. Boot the DVD, change boot priority in Bios, and try to recover files on sdb (not on the new sda) as Acronis may offer recovery options for both drives. You will need a place to store any recovered files. Maybe they can be stored on your new drive, or if you have a usb stick, depending how large the files are.

Maybe you'll get lucky and partitions will get completely restored on your ailing drive = sdb. sda1 means the first drive first partition. The naming convention is different from when a 0 means the first partition. Windows belongs on the first drive, first partition, and that partition for Windows 7 is called System Reserved. The main part of Windows 7 is installed to the second partition.

is there a OSX compatible product like that? [Acronis Recovery]

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

BETA: TestDisk & PhotoRec 6.12-WIP For more information, read the 6.12 release notes preview and git history.

Select your operating system to download the latest version of TestDisk & PhotoRec data recovery tools.

-----------------------------------

The tutorial I mentioned covers using TestDisk which is Open Source (like free).

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1139&page=8

The TestDisk Wiki tutorial with pictures, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

The version for Mac OS X Intel may not run on Hackintosh but it doesn't cost anything to try it.

Did you not like TestDisk or maybe you were unaware of it because you didn't read the recommended tutorial.

"Good Night and Good Luck" the Edward R. Murrow movie title.

Kinda wish I saw this thread before I said screw it and just formatted.

Here is a screenshot of TestDisk (free) for Intel Mac working on my Win7/SL dual booting system

which is described in this tutorial: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1139&page=8

I don't think there are any guarantees about how much you will recover. If you have a geeky interest in Partition tables, then this insanelymac link seems one of the most comprehensive descriptions/solutions which worked.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100033

post-689921-1296479292_thumb.png

You need to install it on a computer with Windows on it and create a rescue CD. A program made for OS X would probably work on real Macs only.

im still using acronis, since i bought it already, and the ui is very easy to navigate. acronis recovered a 6mb volume, and i moved that and the 233gb from my C drive to my new tb drive, leaving os x on the old drive. what's my next step? still cant boot into 7

im still using acronis, since i bought it already, and the ui is very easy to navigate. acronis recovered a 6mb volume, and i moved that and the 233gb from my C drive to my new tb drive, leaving os x on the old drive. what's my next step? still cant boot into 7

You should have used Acronis from the emergency boot CD to recover your entire partition. It takes hours, but it is worth the effort.

i used acronis, and it couldnt find any volumes, it worked before, but it kept searching with no progress for over an hour. so i just installed a clean install of 7 on my new 1tb drive, and it works fine. all of my data is still in my other drive though, but at least the new install can access the old data. easybcd worked like a charm though. any way for me to reinstall the old apps easily (norton,games,word)?

i used acronis, and it couldnt find any volumes, it worked before, but it kept searching with no progress for over an hour. so i just installed a clean install of 7 on my new 1tb drive, and it works fine. all of my data is still in my other drive though, but at least the new install can access the old data. easybcd worked like a charm though. any way for me to reinstall the old apps easily (norton,games,word)?

I'm happy to hear your news! No, there is no easy way to recover your apps. You will have to reinstall them. It isn't just getting the files from c:\Program files, when an app is installed it also writes to the Registry. There is a type of backup that clones one drive byte by byte, sector by sector, so that the drives have identical information, so everything works, but your situation is past that. But things like email and browser favorites are kept in files, so those can be rescued because they don't have a registry entry. This is also easier with a backup prior to the problem using Export and Import.

The good news is that you can see the windows partition on the other drive from your Windows new drive. If your Windows comes with Admin Tools, you should be able to use Disk Management to collect some more information about what is now essentially a data drive. If your old files are visible, that means partition information and a table where all your files are located might still be recoverable. These rescue data recovery disks: they have a demo or trial mode. You can tell from that how much you can restore your old drive without costing you money. These different programs have different limitations, you have to shop around. I still think if Testdisk can be run from dvd, it will maybe be some help. The Disk Management tool information may help you use Testdisk. That is the best chance for easy recovery of your apps. TestDisk is free, and I gave you a link to a detailed howto with pictures. After you recover the valuable files to your new drive, the old drive can become available for OS X, which is a much safer method of multi-booting. Well done, and good luck.