SOLVED: How I upgraded from Hazard 10.6.2 to 10.6.6 (AMD 3800+ X2, nForce570 Chipset, 8800 GTS)

RandomInternetUser

9 posts in this topic

As stated in title, my build is a custom PC using:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU

MSI K9N SLI Platinum (MS-7250)

8800 GTS 320MB

I started by installing Hazards 10.6.2 distro using these custom settings checkmarked:

-OSX 10.6.2 Update

-Legacy Kernel 10.2

-Graphic Enabler

-AppleAzaliaAudio

-LegacyAppleRTC

-IOATAFamily_Fix

-IOATAFamily_SATA_Fix

-AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler

-UUID

-AMD

-Rosetta (optional)

I always get a kernel panic upon first reboot and then on 2nd reboot the system starts up fine so no problem there.

Once I got to this point, I made a full clone of my drive with SuperDuper.

I then deleted sleepenabler.kext from System/Library/Extensions.

Now I downloaded the 10.6.6 Combo Update from Apple's website and ran it.

IMPORTANT: After installing combo update, do not restart when prompted. Instead, download this legacy kernel and install it:

http://3rr0rists.net/driver/legacy-kernel-10-6-6-10-6.html

THEN go ahead and restart.

After this, I booted with -v to see if there were any errors and didn't notice anything unusual and all of a sudden I was back in to my desktop!

Continued to update again to get latest Safari/iTunes/Java /etc and now I am going to make a fresh full backup and be content with my new OS! :rolleyes:

I will try to add this config to the OSX 10.6.6 HCL wiki as well in the near future. I hope this can help someone else out there with semi-outdated hardware like my own.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

I finally had a working 10.6.2 installation on an AMD Phenom (in Virtualbox) but had troubles installing the update to 10.6.6.

Your method worked great for me, can now install the latest IOS SDK from Apple! (which needs at least 10.6.4)

Used system:

AMD Phenom X2 945

Asus M4A77TD

Virtualbox on BSD/FreeBSD setting

Upgrade from 10.6.2 installed with Snow_Leopard_Client_Server_10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard

8800 GTS 320MB

I started by installing Hazards 10.6.2 distro using these custom settings checkmarked:

-OSX 10.6.2 Update

-Legacy Kernel 10.2

-Graphic Enabler

-AppleAzaliaAudio

-LegacyAppleRTC

-IOATAFamily_Fix

-IOATAFamily_SATA_Fix

-UUID

-AMD

-Rosetta (optional)

I always get a kernel panic upon first reboot and then on 2nd reboot the system starts up fine so no problem there.

IMPORTANT: After installing combo update, do not restart when prompted. Instead, download this legacy kernel and install it:

After this, I booted with -v to see if there were any errors and didn't notice anything unusual and all of a sudden I was back in to my desktop!

Continued to update again to get latest Safari/iTunes/Java /etc and now I am going to make a fresh full backup and be content with my new OS! :P

I will try to add this config to the OSX 10.6.6 HCL wiki as well in the near future. I hope this can help someone else out there with semi-outdated hardware like my own.

so, is any kext (audio, video etc) running correctly? :thanks_speechbubble:

• 5 weeks later...

8800 GTS 320MB

-OSX 10.6.2 Update

-Legacy Kernel 10.2

-Graphic Enabler

-AppleAzaliaAudio

-LegacyAppleRTC

-IOATAFamily_Fix

-IOATAFamily_SATA_Fix

-UUID

-AMD

-Rosetta (optional)

Continued to update again to get latest Safari/iTunes/Java /etc and now I am going to make a fresh full backup and be content with my new OS! :)

Thanks so much, this worked a treat! I tried to install the 10.6.4 update with a smilar method but it didn't work, the PC simply wouldn't boot, only in safe boot (and I didn't really want that...) This works brilliantly, startup is a bit delayed compared to normal but that isn't at all a problem to me as it's only by about 10-15 secs and it still boot up quicker than Windows.

My sound normally needs a package to be installed to make it work, but with this it worked out of the box! My video card still doesn't work (ATI Radeon XFX 4550 PCI-e), but it's only minor. Any apps like that I can boot in Windows, although any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks for this guide, it's very helful!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG! it worked. well partialy. i could not boot normally or in safe mode only in boot ingnoring caches. if i boot any other way i get still waiting for root device. dont worry i know what that is but why? and does the app store work? thanks.

OMG! it worked. well partialy. i could not boot normally or in safe mode only in boot ingnoring caches. if i boot any other way i get still waiting for root device. dont worry i know what that is but why? and does the app store work? thanks.

sorry I was wrong, Now I can hardly ever boot i get still waiting for root device everytime I only got in once and nothing worked please help! in verbose it sais something about superviaata couldn't load or allocate. it detecks my IDE hard drive once every fifty times. please help I need my "mac" beacause I am a Appdeveloper.

Please help!!!

• 1 month later...

I've installed Hazards 10.6.2 distro with:

10.6.2 combo

legacy kernal

graphic enabler

AMD

and updated 10.6.6 combo + reinstall legacy kernal.

All works fine except when I try to connect to a windows 7 network share it stays on connecting to server popup but never connects.

(Go menu, Connect to Server, enter smb://192.168.1.71) it worked ok before 10.6.6 combo update.

Any ideas? Did this work for you?

PC spec:

AMD Athlon64 x2 5000+

ABIT AN-M2 mobo, chipset Nvidia Geforce7025/nForce NF630a (nForce network controller)

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard...PE=Socket%20AM2

All works fine except when I try to connect to a windows 7 network share it stays on connecting to server popup but never connects.

(Go menu, Connect to Server, enter smb://192.168.1.71) it worked ok before 10.6.6 combo update.

Any ideas? Did this work for you?

PC spec:

AMD Athlon64 x2 5000+

ABIT AN-M2 mobo, chipset Nvidia Geforce7025/nForce NF630a (nForce network controller)

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard...PE=Socket%20AM2

First, I admire this guide written by RandomInternetUser.

When I first installed SL, I had the wrong Lan driver. And it gave me

one of those odd unable to connect error messages. When I rebooted,

Windows couldn't connect to the internet either! That kext failed to

release that En port. I found a surprising fix for this. Shutdown the

computer and unplug it or turn off the power supply button. With a

laptop, take out the battery. This releases something that a restart

doesn't do. To fix the root of the problem, I think starting with the

Lan driver is the most logical step. That fixed all Nic problems for me.

Back to the original post. One can put a fully working backup of your SL

on a 16GB usb stick. Clone the internal drive to the usb stick and clone

the usb stick back to the hard drive if it goes belly up like after a misfire

of installing Lion.