[ Short GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install On DP43BF (LGA 775) Mobo

zascok

15 posts in this topic

This is very short Guide for installing a completely updatable retail copy of Snow Leopard on the Intel DP43BF.

Intel DP43BF motherboard

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9450 cpu

EVGA GeForce 210 GT

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333

LAN Broadcom BCM5777 1Gb ID 14e4 1691

Audio Realtek ACL888 8 channels ID 10ec 0888

Under the Advanced tab go to drive configuration and change IDE to AHCI or RAID

Use USB.zip to make Boot USB stick. Copy extracted files and folders to you usb stick and make it bootable with syslinux.exe.

USB.zip archive has dsdt.aml , com.apple.Boot.plist and Extra folder for DP43BF

Just Extra folder + dsdt.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist can be found in Extra.zip

Use Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.x for installation. Update installed SL with the last combo update before kexts installation.

Copy Extra folder (do not forget to include AHCIPortInjector.kext) to you SL HD root

After the first SL boot install VoodooHDA.kext v272 Snow from VoodooHDA.kext_v272_Snow.zip

Do not forget to backup and remove original AppleHDA.kext !

Boot with -v -x (safe mode)

and install IONetworkingFamily.kext (10.6.5) from IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Do not forget to backup your original IONetworkingFamily.kext before installation.

Just AppleBCM5777Ethernet.kext (10.6.5) can be found in AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

I did not test AppleBCM5777Ethernet.kext under 32 mode but I am sure it shoud work fine.

Good luck!

USB.zip

Extra.zip

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.kext_v272_Snow.zip

post-6386-1294016816_thumb.png

post-6386-1294016827_thumb.png

post-6386-1294016836_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thanks for this guide!

I've been struggling with trying to get USB working at all in OS X. My Apple keyboard works fine in the BIOS and in the initial launch of the boot-loader. I've been able to use a PS/2 keyboard to install Snow Leopard using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but still can't get USB to work.

I'd like to try the method you described here but am unclear about how to make the USB stick bootable, especially given the USB problems I'm having. Any suggestions?

Thanks for this guide!

I've been struggling with trying to get USB working at all in OS X. My Apple keyboard works fine in the BIOS and in the initial launch of the boot-loader. I've been able to use a PS/2 keyboard to install Snow Leopard using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but still can't get USB to work.

I'd like to try the method you described here but am unclear about how to make the USB stick bootable, especially given the USB problems I'm having. Any suggestions?

com.apple.Boot.plist has USBFix+ USB fixed in new version of dsdt.aml

I will give you more detail response soon

Thanks for this guide!

You need to check your version of cdbood in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r651)

I think It should support USB Fix.

open cdboot in text editor ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]\usr\standalone\i386\cdboot)

and search for

USBBusFix=Yes Enable all USB fixes below:

EHCIacquire=Yes Enable the EHCI fix (disabled by default).

UHCIreset=Yes Enable the UHCI fix (disabled by default).

USBLegacyOff=Yes Enable the USB Legacy fix (disabled by default).

I had USB problem during SL installation as well but I found two working USB ports so I could use USB keyboard and mouse

I believe you can use top two USB ports

Now the simple thing to do is to put my version of com.apple.Boot.plist to /Volumes/Your SL HD NAME/EXtra and to /Volumes/Your SL HD NAME/SystemConfiguration

fix permissions and restart SL

It should fix USB issue right away.

Also put my new version of dsdt.aml to /Volumes/Your SL HD NAME/EXtra

it has USBfix as well.

Try this first and let me know

dsdt.zip

Thank you so much! The USB fixes worked perfectly and your DSDT.aml was helpful too!

I have 2 remaining issues that are keeping the system from being 100% functional. If you have any insight here I'd really appreciate it.

- Networking: the on-board Ethernet works with your kext but the upload speed is slow and unreliable (download is fine). By slow, I mean 8-10 kB/sec followed by 1-2 sec with no data transmitted at all. This is happening over both my LAN and the Internet.

- PCI bus: with the exception of my video card which is running great in the PCI Express 2.0 slot, none of my other PCI cards are being recognized even though all are natively Mac-compatible. I don't know if this is an issue with OS X not seeing the PCI bus or if the cards aren't being identified to the OS properly so it's not loading the drivers. The cards affected are a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR Gigabit Ethernet card (PCI, Realtek RT8169 chipset), a SYBA Firewire 400 card (PCI, VIA VT6306 chipset), and an SNT eSATA card (PCI Express, Silicon Image 3132 chipset).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Thank you so much! The USB fixes worked perfectly and your DSDT.aml was helpful too!

I have 2 remaining issues that are keeping the system from being 100% functional. If you have any insight here I'd really appreciate it.

- Networking: the on-board Ethernet works with your kext but the upload speed is slow and unreliable (download is fine). By slow, I mean 8-10 kB/sec followed by 1-2 sec with no data transmitted at all. This is happening over both my LAN and the Internet.

- PCI bus: with the exception of my video card which is running great in the PCI Express 2.0 slot, none of my other PCI cards are being recognized even though all are natively Mac-compatible. I don't know if this is an issue with OS X not seeing the PCI bus or if the cards aren't being identified to the OS properly so it's not loading the drivers. The cards affected are a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR Gigabit Ethernet card (PCI, Realtek RT8169 chipset), a SYBA Firewire 400 card (PCI, VIA VT6306 chipset), and an SNT eSATA card (PCI Express, Silicon Image 3132 chipset).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I do have PCI issue as well. 10.6.5(6) does not see my second network card. This card works just fine on DX58OS. We have very specific for dp43bf issue. Not sure how to fix it at this point but I am working on it.

Did you try all PCI slots?

As for upload speed let me double check it

I do have PCI issue as well. 10.6.5(6) does not see my second network card. This card works just fine on DX58OS. We have very specific for dp43bf issue. Not sure how to fix it at this point but I am working on it.

Did you try all PCI slots?

As for upload speed let me double check it

Yeah, I did try all PCI slots and it made no difference.

Here's a status update on my system:

- Onboard LAN & PCI NIC Card (Trendnet TEG-PCITXR): Gave up on the onboard LAN. Maybe there's a config file somewhere I could edit, but I didn't feel like messing around with it. The NIC card might lack specific 64 bit drivers (I found some but couldn't get them working), or it's just the PCI issue we've identified. I bought a Linksys USB300M USB > 10/100 Ethernet adapter. It uses the same chipset as Apple's USB to Ethernet device they sell for the MacBook Air. It worked out of the box with no problems at all.

- Firewire PCI Card (Syba with VIA VT6306 chipset): Gave up on this too. On my system, the card is recognized and works out of box in Ubuntu 10.10 and with drivers in Win7, so I know the card is fine. I would think there native are 64 bit drivers for this as it uses the same chipset as some Apple Firewire products. The onboard Firewire works, so if I need more than one port at once I'll just buy a hub or daisychain my devices.

- eSATA PCI Exp Card (SNT with Silicon Image 3132 chipset): This card is working well running my 2 disk external mirrored RAID, although it doesn't show up in System Profiler. I've heard there's an EFI string edit I could do to make this work, but it's not that important to me. I had to turn off the option to allow hard disks to sleep in System Prefs as disk sleep caused my RAID to refuse to remount on wake and also refuse to unmount & eject. Yikes! There's probably a fix for this too, but I'm fine disabling disk sleep.

So I have a smooth, stable running system using reasonable workarounds. I only need this machine to last me a couple years till I can afford to build a well-supported Core i-Series hack or just buy a MacPro, so the compromises are fine.

Thanks again for posting this guide and for your troubleshooting help!

thank you very much

your's ethernet kexts works fine

i had snow leopard working on this mother board since 6 months

but not the ethernet built in

i have a question !

I have made new snow whith with all your's kexts and dst.aml

when i boot

i need to let in my dvd reader the combo update 10.6.6 to boot on the harddisk

when i start the computer, hard disk appear and i need to push enter on the keyboard

i use like bootloader chameleon V2-Rc5

have you an idea for this problem ???

thank you very much for your's work

good job

all the best :rolleyes:

This is very short Guide for installing a completely updatable retail copy of Snow Leopard on the Intel DP43BF.

Intel DP43BF motherboard

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9450 cpu

EVGA GeForce 210 GT

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333

LAN Broadcom BCM5777 1Gb ID 14e4 1691

Audio Realtek ACL888 8 channels ID 10ec 0888

Under the Advanced tab go to drive configuration and change IDE to AHCI or RAID

Use USB.zip to make Boot USB stick. Copy extracted files and folders to you usb stick and make it bootable with syslinux.exe.

USB.zip archive has dsdt.aml , com.apple.Boot.plist and Extra folder for DP43BF

Just Extra folder + dsdt.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist can be found in Extra.zip

Use Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.x for installation. Update installed SL with the last combo update before kexts installation.

Copy Extra folder (do not forget to include AHCIPortInjector.kext) to you SL HD root

After the first SL boot install VoodooHDA.kext v272 Snow from VoodooHDA.kext_v272_Snow.zip

Do not forget to backup and remove original AppleHDA.kext !

Boot with -v -x (safe mode)

and install IONetworkingFamily.kext (10.6.5) from IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Do not forget to backup your original IONetworkingFamily.kext before installation.

Just AppleBCM5777Ethernet.kext (10.6.5) can be found in AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

I did not test AppleBCM5777Ethernet.kext under 32 mode but I am sure it shoud work fine.

Good luck!

Hello,

this is very helpful as I have been trying to make my ethernet port work for a long long time now. My ethernet card is recognized now but I can't get it to acquire an IP address. Is there anything special that I need to do?

Thanks

Sebastien

Hello,

this is very helpful as I have been trying to make my ethernet port work for a long long time now. My ethernet card is recognized now but I can't get it to acquire an IP address. Is there anything special that I need to do?

Thanks

Sebastien

hey , my dear

just go to your's network card and configure manually

it's working fine ;)

• 2 months later...

First of all: Thx for your work zascok!

I booted with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy afair) and installed from a partition containing the content of the OSX install DVD.

Using the dsdt.aml with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the Chameleon USB fixes, the system boots without any problems. Sleep, reboot and shutdown work flawlessly. Sleep even works much better (and does sleep/wake up much faster) than with my Gigabyte EX38-DS4, the system wakes after key press and so on. Very nice.

But I, too, hat the issues grutledge mentioned. The performance of the builtin ethernet chip is, in "real life", far worse than I could imagine. Nothing really works, even fetching emails with this ethernet connection is a pain. Really. Also, no PCI card that I tested worked at all; with a RTL8139 card plugged in, the driver doesn't even find the device. Hence I reinstalled the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext and tried a PCI-E NIC - which works like a charm! :o

I didn't analyze the cause of the PCI problems as this rig is not my main computer. Maybe it's some issue with the PCI-bridge(?). But with the PCI-E NIC and Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx driver, this system runs perfectly; I wish, my Gigabyte board would sleep and wake up that fast.

Specs:

Core2Duo 7200 CPU

4 GB RAM

nVidia 8800GT w/ 640 MB VRAM

TP-LINK TG-3468 PCI-E GBit NIC

(Mostly) vanilla OSX 10.6.6

• 3 months later...

Here is a small guide for the Lion (10.7) installation.

Lion installation requires several new things:

1. new boot. it was Chameleon 2.0-RC5 (svn-r982) in my case

2. new lines in com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>npci=0x2000</string>

3. Lion PC installation DVD.

As you know dp43db has two issues:

broadcom network card and LPC.

I added LPC and SMBus injectors to Extra folder but it does almost nothing as our mobo does not have LPC. You can easily see it with AIDA64. So not sure if we can solve PCI issue.

Broadcom network card issue has been solved recently. Many thx to BCM5722D

Here is my Extra folder with corrected dstd, com.apple.Boot.plist

and some kexts:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LPC_injector.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SMBusPCI_injector.kext

Extra.zip

two kexts to S/L/E

BCM5722D.kext.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

here is some screenshots

post-6386-1312204160_thumb.png post-6386-1312204215_thumb.png post-6386-1312204233_thumb.png

good luck!

• 9 months later...