Resurrected Drives and Restocking Fees

Mindhack

3 posts in this topic

New user with a new post, I guess. I'll provide a back-story as it's important to perhaps solving this problem. Those uninterested in the story can skip down to the actual problem.

Story: I purchase a Powerbook G4 probably around 2004, maybe 2003. It worked fine for many years. My first Apple. Then around the year 2008, the Hard-Drive died. I went through a whole long process in trying to fix it, but that's a whole other story. Anyway the end result was a replace Hard-Drive i found on Ifixit.com with instructions. I purchased the drive and installed it into my G4 but when I powered the machine up, the drive wouldn't spin. It seemed as if it wasn't getting any power. When I put the "dead" drive back in, it powered up and spun but gave those lovely clicks, pips, pongs and whirls that "dead" drives give. So I sent the new drive back to Ifixit with intentions of getting another one. I did so, and the same results. The new drive didn't spin or receive power. But when i put the "dead" drive back in, it spun. So I sent the new drive back again and had gave up. I kept the "dead" drive in an tucked my G4 under my bed. Didn't have the heart to trash it. So somewhere around four months ago, i remembered I even owned a Powerbook and went to turn her on for old times sake. Amazingly, the drive worked. I installed Panther and updated the OS as far as it would go, and went on enjoying classic games like Myst and SimTower. Awesome. Then about three days ago, the drive died again. As figured. I didn't really keep my hopes up.

Actual Problem: I can find a replacement drive on Ifixit, but I'm a little weary after my last two purchases. Plus every time i had to return the drive I had to pay a restocking fee. Definitely not fun. And the drives they offer seem a little pricey for what they do. I feel like I should be able to get a comparable drive for at least $10-$20 bucks cheaper. But I don't really care. As long as the drive will definitely work and isn't ridiculously priced. I'll provide a link at the bottom of this. So, my question fellow Mac-Users is this. What drive should i buy that will actually work in my G4? At least a comparable drive. I mean, I've checked the usual locations Newegg, TigerDirect etc. But I'm not exactly sure what separates the G4's harddrive from other ones, besides the dimensions and the fact that it's a ATA drive.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can provide. Please I really don't need anyone to tell me to go out and do my research. I've done it and had to pay shipping and restocking fees and it just isn't fun. I'm just really frustrated and this is the only place I know with Mac-Users, that could really help me out. When i ask in general computer forums i get negative feedback for buying a Mac or how macs suck etc. I'm just looking for help. Here are links to Ifixit's site where they sell drives that "should" be compadable with All iBook G4s, All Aluminum PowerBooks and All PowerPC Mac minis.

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/PowerBoo...ives+PATA+

Thanks again for anyone that took the time to read this.

When i ask in general computer forums i get negative feedback for buying a Mac or how macs suck etc. I'm just looking for help. Here are links to Ifixit's site where they sell drives that "should" be compadable with All iBook G4s, All Aluminum PowerBooks and All PowerPC Mac minis.

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/PowerBoo...ives+PATA+

You may want to give the MacRumors site a try as well unfortunately with you being a new member you cannot post in the buy/sell forum or even see it for that matter but you can ask a question where to get a proper working drive for your machine. They always seem very helpful when I am reading it you have your odd a**holes as always on any forum but overall they seem like a nice bunch of people and they love their old hardware over there so good chance of you getting some help with this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/

I've checked the usual locations Newegg, TigerDirect etc. But I'm not exactly sure what separates the G4's harddrive from other ones, besides the dimensions and the fact that it's a ATA drive.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can provide. Please I really don't need anyone to tell me to go out and do my research. I've done it and had to pay shipping and restocking fees and it just isn't fun.

Sorry there is a reason to do research. The hight of the drive is because of airflow in that series of Powerbooks.

Any ata drive with the right dimensions will do.

If you were charged restocking fee, presumably the hard drive was healthy. Are you sure the powerbook is? Were jumper settings correct ?

No computer store within walking, driving, bus, train - distance?