getting QE working on Radeon HD4650

LordSax

19 posts in this topic

hey folks,

i tried to get my ATI Radeon HD4650 working with Snow Leo 10.6.4. here is what I did. any help is appreciated.

my hardware:

mobo: Asrock P45 TurboTwins2000

ga: saphire radeon HD 4650

cpu: core 2 duo E7400

hdd: samsung 320GB

step 1: install snow leo from 10.6.3 Retail DVD with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supported

step 2: install 10.6.4 combo update

step 3: install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.2.2 (restart)

step 4: let OS X install all the other updates

step 5: force higher resolution by adding Graphics Mode to com.apple.boot.plist

step 6: install Legacy HDA ALC888, HDAEnabler ALC888 and Apple HDA 10.6.2 Rollback from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (Sound works, can play music in every output channel but only stereo is enabled and no mic working (any solutions?))

step 7: I tried what was posted here click and here click 2 to get QE working with my graphics accelerator.

my steps were:

1. add my device and vendor id (0x94981002) to RadeonX2000.kext and 4600Controller.kext, delete the other ids

2. let [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] fix the permissions (tried it myself , result was the same)

3. restart

now what happens is when OS X launchscreen shows up the screen will lose it's signal. I tried to switch to the vga connector, also tried a dvi2vga connector but results are the same

hey folks,

i tried to get my ATI Radeon HD4650 working with Snow Leo 10.6.4. here is what I did. any help is appreciated.

my hardware:

mobo: Asrock P45 TurboTwins2000

ga: saphire radeon HD 4650

cpu: core 2 duo E7400

hdd: samsung 320GB

step 1: install snow leo from 10.6.3 Retail DVD with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supported

step 2: install 10.6.4 combo update

step 3: install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.2.2 (restart)

step 4: let OS X install all the other updates

step 5: force higher resolution by adding Graphics Mode to com.apple.boot.plist

step 6: install Legacy HDA ALC888, HDAEnabler ALC888 and Apple HDA 10.6.2 Rollback from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (Sound works, can play music in every output channel but only stereo is enabled and no mic working (any solutions?))

step 7: I tried what was posted here click and here click 2 to get QE working with my graphics accelerator.

my steps were:

1. add my device and vendor id (0x94981002) to RadeonX2000.kext and 4600Controller.kext, delete the other ids

2. let [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] fix the permissions (tried it myself , result was the same)

3. restart

now what happens is when OS X launchscreen shows up the screen will lose it's signal. I tried to switch to the vga connector, also tried a dvi2vga connector but results are the same

What bootloader are you using?

Have you GraphicsEnabler enabled in com.apple.Boot.plist?

I am using the bootloader from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I guess its Cameleon with EFI but tell me how to find out.

and yes in my com.apple.boot.plist I have the Graphics Enabler

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is a DSDT-free solution for Core, Core 2 or Core i systems. It installs all of the essentials to allow your system to boot from the hard drive. Does not include any Network or Sound drivers or Graphics support besides Chameleon GraphicsEnabler. Includes Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN 1.1.9, fakesmc, EvOreboot, JMicron36xATA, JMicron36xSATA, LegacyAppleRTC, NullCPUPowerManagement, IOUSBFamily 10.6.2 Rollback, 32-Bit com.apple.boot.plist, and iMac11,1 smbios.plist.

I am using the bootloader from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I guess its Cameleon with EFI but tell me how to find out.

and yes in my com.apple.boot.plist I have the Graphics Enabler

You must use Chameleon 2.0 rc4

Look here (escuse for italian) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=202099

can you give me a step by step help with this italian stuff. sorry but I dont understand a thing.

1) download chameleon 2.o rc4 from the guide and install it

2) download the two kexts for 10.6.4 from the guide

3) delete fron /System/Library/Extensions ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext

4) install the two downloaded kexts with kexthelper (you must force close kexthelper after using it)

5) Use the DVI output with a DVI-VGA adapter

after I had those screen erros I tried to go with these kext click from this post

Aggiornamento 27/09/2010: funziona anche con il graphics update 1.0: questi i kext: 4650_gupdate1.zip ( 1.99MB ) Number of downloads: 0
and this thread guida (breve) ATI Radeon46x....

the reason. I updated the system after installing the comboupdate and thought those kexts may solve my prob. but now i again loose the signal while os x boots, but somehow I lost the possibility to boot the system with the -x flag in chameleon. will try to undo those things but still could use some help with the screen errors from earlier (I guess that was the furthest guide to achieve QE support on my system)

after I had those screen erros I tried to go with these kext click from this post

and this thread guida (breve) ATI Radeon46x....

the reason. I updated the system after installing the comboupdate and thought those kexts may solve my prob. but now i again loose the signal while os x boots, but somehow I lost the possibility to boot the system with the -x flag in chameleon. will try to undo those things but still could use some help with the screen errors from earlier (I guess that was the furthest guide to achieve QE support on my system)

Boot with -s flag

at the prompt type:

mount -uw / <return>

cd /System/Library/Extensions <return>

rm -rf ATIRadeonX2000.kext <return>

rm -rf ATI4600Controller.kext <return>

reboot <retrurn>

then install the new kexts.

Type right with spaces (the commands are case sensitive)

Plug in a cable or an adapter (ex. VGAtoDVI) to the second monitor output. Most likely you're not getting any signal pecause there is only one monitor output connected. I don't know why this happens but that should do the trick.

I tried every combination possible (straight dvi, straight vga, vga with vga2dvi adapter). the only thing that is different between those is, when I used the kexts from this italian guide the pattern of screen errors was different with every combination I used, though in every combination I had a signal. any solutions so far?

Boot with -s flag

at the prompt type:

mount -uw / <return>

reboot <retrurn>

My system is starting again, I tried to install the latest kexts from the italian guide again, same results. I will try to install the original 10.6.4 kexts from the italian guide again (where I had those screen errors).the help is very appreciated giorgio.

any ideas about those screen errors and how I might get rid of them?

Im back to those screen errors, but at least my screen does not loose its signal anymore. I thought it might be a problem with the framebuffer or maybe OS X has a very high resolution the monitor is unable to display. my monitor is an Acer AL1751, 17" TFT with max resolution 1280x1024. when I forced the higher resolution in VESA-Mode I used

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

as commands and it worked pretty well. is there any possibility to get those standard settings? I want to make sure its not this small problem causing trouble

edit: I found a thread about this card, where they switched specifi kexts to 10.6.2 versions and some to older 10.6.4. here it isclick . any idea if my problem could be solved by changing kexts to older versions?

Boot with -s flag

at the prompt type:

mount -uw / <return>

reboot <retrurn>

ok giorgio_multi, I have achieved a way to switch resolutions and the system profiler recognizes my ga as a Radeon 4600 with 1024 MB Ram. Thanks for that but here comes the next trouble. I dont have QE and CL, how can I enable that? I tried osx86tools but i did not work. any ideas are very much appreciated atm.

alright I guess (almost) everything is working now. I used kext from another thread and included my device/vendor id, redid permissions and now I can choose between different resolutions but still cant use the Quartz Engine and CL (when I start front row it only shows a black screen). anybody up for some solutions?

here is what I did:

I removed the following kexts installed the same kexts (different versions) again with kext helper

ATI4600Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATIRadeonX2000.kext

ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

ATISupport.kext

now I have the solution changable, system profiler still recognizes my card as a Radeon 4600 but now with its 1024 MB RAM (using VGA Output) but still no QE and CL. osx86tools does not work correctly to enable it.

Apple Script Error

Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700)

alright I guess (almost) everything is working now. I used kext from another thread and included my device/vendor id, redid permissions and now I can choose between different resolutions but still cant use the Quartz Engine and CL (when I start front row it only shows a black screen). anybody up for some solutions?

here is what I did:

I removed the following kexts installed the same kexts (different versions) again with kext helper

now I have the solution changable, system profiler still recognizes my card as a Radeon 4600 but now with its 1024 MB RAM (using VGA Output) but still no QE and CL. osx86tools does not work correctly to enable it.

I can assure you that everything you are doing is a bit way too techy & the solution is quite simpler

I'd say restart everything again.. install clean & upgrade to 10.6.4 do everything as you did(for all your other hardwares to work) but do not touch anything for the video

You would resolve all your issues if you simply went to netkas.org (they are the ones who provide all these many famous kext fixes)... then find their IRC channel address... and inside that IRC (you must have a IRC chat app) there is a Chat Room of HD 4650 - those users in there will help you resolve it - they will give you the necessary files & what to do & also tell you what works and what does not work

I wished I could have posted my solution, but I upgraded to CF 5770's & never backed up what i did for the 4650 to work on 10.6.4

*Forgot to say yes you do need Chameleon RC4

redczr:

i use bootloader PC EFI 10.6 from netkas and set graphicsenabler=y

and use this Modified 4650 kext

and don't forget to update 10.6.2 or later

I reinstalled the whole system, installed PC EFI 1.6 from netkas and used those modified kexts from your post. When I boot the system, my monitor looses the signal again (no matter where I plug it in). here is my com.apple.boot.plist:

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

sendblink23:

I can assure you that everything you are doing is a bit way too techy & the solution is quite simpler

I'd say restart everything again.. install clean & upgrade to 10.6.4 do everything as you did(for all your other hardwares to work) but do not touch anything for the video

You would resolve all your issues if you simply went to netkas.org (they are the ones who provide all these many famous kext fixes)... then find their IRC channel address... and inside that IRC (you must have a IRC chat app) there is a Chat Room of HD 4650 - those users in there will help you resolve it - they will give you the necessary files & what to do & also tell you what works and what does not work

I wished I could have posted my solution, but I upgraded to CF 5770's & never backed up what i did for the 4650 to work on 10.6.4

*Forgot to say yes you do need Chameleon RC4

Im up for that now. Lets see if those famous guys can help me. Thanks so far

Hey guys,

here is my actual setup and how far I am in the current progress of enabling my Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate in Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I have 10.6.4 + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + ID added to ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext .

When I boot with arguments "-v -f -pci1" I get the following Message and my monitor looses the signal.

"ACPI_SMC_PlattformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)

any idea on how to solve that?

• 2 weeks later...