OSX 10.6.4 Hanging Issue - Please point me in right direction!

THF_Dave

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have come here to ask for a pointer in the right direction, I have lots of experience with PCs but very little with Macs. I have recently built a system with the following hardware:

ASUS P5B SE Motherboard (Bios Revision 1103)

Intel Core2 Duo 6600 CPU

Gigabyte GeForce 8400MS 512Mb

2GB DDR2 800MHz

Seagate 500GB Barracuda

Sony Optical Drive

I have managed to install Snow Leopard from retail 10.6.3 disk using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and updated it to 10.6.4, and I am using the myHack bootloader. Apart from this I have not customised the installation at all. I also have done the usual stuff such as set my BIOS to AHCI, disabled the JMicron controller.

The system boots, restarts and shuts down fine. I can connect to the internet using my Edimax USB WiFi adaptor and I can install software. I have left the system running for a whole day, not running any software and it was fine. However, when I come to use the system, it seems to hang. Specifically, I have been trying to install the iOS SDK (the whole reason that I wanted a Mac is to develop iPhone apps) and the installer only ever gets halfway through before I lose the system.

The mouse and keyboard still respond, and I can usually bring windows to the front and drag them around but I lose all button responses etc. This fault also happens when I try to download any particularly large files, or when I try to do two tasks at once.

I have scoured these forums and found lot of help for specific hardware faults, but this one is a bit perplexing. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers!

Dave

Do you find anything in the systems logs ?

(The easiest way to go there is 'About This Mac' and then 'Get info'

It opens the system profiler and down below you'll see the logs.

Try to find out what happened at the exact time that your computer crashed

(Maybe post the last rules from just before the crash here)

Hi all,

I have come here to ask for a pointer in the right direction, I have lots of experience with PCs but very little with Macs. I have recently built a system with the following hardware:

ASUS P5B SE Motherboard (Bios Revision 1103)

Intel Core2 Duo 6600 CPU

Gigabyte GeForce 8400MS 512Mb

2GB DDR2 800MHz

Seagate 500GB Barracuda

Sony Optical Drive

I have managed to install Snow Leopard from retail 10.6.3 disk using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and updated it to 10.6.4, and I am using the myHack bootloader. Apart from this I have not customised the installation at all. I also have done the usual stuff such as set my BIOS to AHCI, disabled the JMicron controller.

The system boots, restarts and shuts down fine. I can connect to the internet using my Edimax USB WiFi adaptor and I can install software. I have left the system running for a whole day, not running any software and it was fine. However, when I come to use the system, it seems to hang. Specifically, I have been trying to install the iOS SDK (the whole reason that I wanted a Mac is to develop iPhone apps) and the installer only ever gets halfway through before I lose the system.

The mouse and keyboard still respond, and I can usually bring windows to the front and drag them around but I lose all button responses etc. This fault also happens when I try to download any particularly large files, or when I try to do two tasks at once.

I have scoured these forums and found lot of help for specific hardware faults, but this one is a bit perplexing. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers!

Dave

Yeah, I had a look at the console but didn't see anything in particular, no errors or anything. Further info, I managed to get the Xcode package installed but the whole system seems to be ticking along just fine and then if I try to do any sort of multitasking it gets stuck in treacle, slows right down to the point that I lose the ability to interact with it and the only way to get back in is tomuse the reset button.

Interestingly, I have noticed that if I do reset it after a crash, the hard drive is not recognised by the bios, I have to actually turn the machine off and on again for the hard drive to be recognised. I have no idea if this is related or not!

There are tons of topics and install guides specifically about/for the P5B series boards.

Try reading them, besides you're more likely to encounter other people with the same motherboard as you who have experienced the same issue and know how to fix it. Your topic title is vague and will not attract owners of P5B motherboards who might be able to help you.

I have never heard of this problem. If I searched and didn't find anything, I would go through each fix or patch you're using and search like mad to see it there are better/alternative ways of implementing them.