Bounty Offered! How to configure dual video cards

dustonio

3 posts in this topic

I have a hackintosh running snow leopard 10.6.4 using the Lifehacker tutorial from 2009. My main video card is EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB.

My desire is to run up to four monitors, so I have purchased a 2nd video card:

EVGA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB

However I cannot figure out how to enable the video card. For three days I've read through the advice on this forum and others, but am still confused as to where I should make changes, because it seems that dual video cards isn't something that a lot of people are doing.

I will gladly offer a $50 USD bounty to somebody who can offer me step-by-step instructions guiding me through the ability to make four monitors run. And to give back to the community, I would be happy to post these instructions here so that others who have followed the easy-to-use Lifehacker instructions can benefit if they also want to run four monitors using two video cards.

Driver Installer

This should work. If you want a .kext then...

.Kext

Also, I hope you are serious about those $50 otherwise...

Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others...and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' 'cash reward' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed.

:)

Well here is the solution that I found after doing A LOT of research all afternoon. I ended up finding how to set-up both video cards using the tutorial on the aquamac forum, along with some modifications to the instructions.

This will be helpful for others who have used the Lifehacker method from 2009. Here is a link to what helped me get started down the right path:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hack1&action=display&thread=569&page=1

Here are the specs of what I have got in my build:

* GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

* EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80580Q8400

* (this is the 2nd video card I purchased recently in Sept 2010) EVGA 512-P3-N944-LR GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I followed the steps in detail from the Aquamac Forum, and then copied over the HEX string to the com.apple.boot.plist which was located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Each card would work independently, but they did not work together. So I read further and changed the BIOS from PEG to PEG2 -- but that did not work either.

After poking around some more, I found that I had TWO com.apple.boot.plist files. The second one was located in /Extra

I therefore pasted the same HEX string in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and then changed the BIOS back to PEG, and it worked!

Dragging the windows around in each of the monitors seems jerky-looking, but it works good enough for me now and I have got three monitors running together. Eventually I'll test a fourth monitor and see how that works.

It seems that this method did not require me to insert any Kext files.