Dell XPS 420 OSX86 Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Installation Guide inc. Windows 7 Dual Boot, Full guide with files for an XPS 420 Hackintosh

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

valentoni

valentoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Hello! I have a problem! I installed mac os x snow leopard all good, but after restarting, it is thinking of the apple too long without doing anything.

Do not know how to do this step:

Tuning
1. You May not experience This Issue, But Probably Will OSX crash in a minute or so. So the first time it boots after install, set up the account AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! Then if it crashes restart. Plug the USB drive in OSX Before loads.
2. As soon as you're in OSX, open up the USB drive, and install chameleon (Open up terminal and "HOW TO INSTALL.txt, and do as it says). Do this QUICKLY, you want it to crash Afterwards, believe me. Reboot.
3. Crash issue is now sorted. Once you're back in, copy "DSDT.aml to the root over (your OSX hard drive). Restart.
4. Open EFI Studio and install your graphics card.
5. Use "Kext Helper" to install the kexts I Have included.
6. Run "OSX86 Tools", and click on "Enable / Disable Quartz GL". Enable it and reboot.
7. Install your sound and Ethernet drivers. (If you are using the onboard LAN, use "Kext Utility" to install Intel 82566MM.kext.) Reboot.
8. Do not try updating to 10.6.1 and so unless you've backed up, or face doing all of this again!
9. Any extra drivers Install You May Need, Such as printer drivers.
10. I suggest you start backing up using "Time Machine" or "Carbon Copy Cloner" http://www.bombich.com/ to save you from HAVING to install again from Should something go wrong in future.

Do not know how to access the terminal after reboot, and not that I have to write commands to use the files from the USB

Can you help?

Thank you!

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I installed Lion by going into the BIOS and setting ATA mode to RAID Autodetect / ATA. Does anyone know how to get Lion booting with RAID mode turned on? I'd like to be able to use the E-SATA port and I can only boot into Windows with RAID mode turned on. The only other problem I am having is with my video card. It's an ATI Radeon HD 3650. I cannot find a kext for it that works in 10.7.

KryoN13

KryoN13

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

RaMday, I've got the same problem with iATKOS L2. Have you found the solution yet?

Maybe, the right DSDT.aml?
I used the DSDT.aml from 10.6.7 machine which works great but no luck on 10.7.2.

Could you send me that DSDT please??????

KryoN13

KryoN13

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello! I have a problem! I installed mac os x snow leopard all good, but after restarting, it is thinking of the apple too long without doing anything.

Do not know how to do this step:

Tuning
1. You May not experience This Issue, But Probably Will OSX crash in a minute or so. So the first time it boots after install, set up the account AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! Then if it crashes restart. Plug the USB drive in OSX Before loads.
2. As soon as you're in OSX, open up the USB drive, and install chameleon (Open up terminal and "HOW TO INSTALL.txt, and do as it says). Do this QUICKLY, you want it to crash Afterwards, believe me. Reboot.
3. Crash issue is now sorted. Once you're back in, copy "DSDT.aml to the root over (your OSX hard drive). Restart.
4. Open EFI Studio and install your graphics card.
5. Use "Kext Helper" to install the kexts I Have included.
6. Run "OSX86 Tools", and click on "Enable / Disable Quartz GL". Enable it and reboot.
7. Install your sound and Ethernet drivers. (If you are using the onboard LAN, use "Kext Utility" to install Intel 82566MM.kext.) Reboot.
8. Do not try updating to 10.6.1 and so unless you've backed up, or face doing all of this again!
9. Any extra drivers Install You May Need, Such as printer drivers.
10. I suggest you start backing up using "Time Machine" or "Carbon Copy Cloner" http://www.bombich.com/ to save you from HAVING to install again from Should something go wrong in future.

Do not know how to access the terminal after reboot, and not that I have to write commands to use the files from the USB

Can you help?

Thank you!

I've answered you at your other post ;-)
Hope it work!

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I have installed onto my new Core-2-Quad Dell XPS 420. OSX 10.6.8, running perfectly except for three issues:

USB does not sleep correctly (I sadly used USB rollback -- was that wrong?) Still has issues with all USBFixes.

SLEEP takes far to long to WAKE, approximately 15 seconds.

I am using a custom "fixed" dsdt.aml, so do I even NEED USB fixes, or SleepEnabler.kext???

Restart takes way too long as well.

I reinstalled Win7 to check, and it wakes immediately, restarts immediately.

Anyone have a PERFECT enough system to help me out here?

Cheers.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I got Mountain Lion up and running on my XPS420. Right now I am working on getting the onboard sound to work. For some reason VoodooHDA isn' working. I also need to figure out something for my video card since my Nivida 7600GT only works in 32bit mode and Mountain Lion no longer has a 32bit mode, it's 64bit only.

kNewton

kNewton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
RaMDaY, did you find an ATI Radeon 3650 kext that works in 10.7? I am making the jump from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8, but am building a 2nd hack that will get hand me down parts.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
No, I ended up swapping it out for a Nvidia 7800 GT when I was running 10.7 however, the 7800GT only supports 32bit mode which is a big no no for Mountain Lion so I switched back to the ATI card. It boots in ML but there is no Quartz or hardware acceleration. I cannot even change desktop resolutions.

RaMDaY, did you find an ATI Radeon [color=#176BA1 !important][color=#176BA1 !important]HD[/color][/color] 3650 kext that works in 10.7? I am making the jump from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8, but am building a 2nd hack that will get hand me down parts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy