Need some advise for my PowerHackintosh G4

FGLoc

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am going to build my first PowerHackintosh G4 Quicksilver and I need some advise.

It will be used with Windows 7 for gaming and hopefully for everything else with Snow Leopard(I think I will install it though [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]).

First the specs:

Scenario 1:

-Intel® Core™ i7-860

-GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4

-Point of View GeForce GTX 470

-G.Skill DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit 

Scenario 2:

-Intel® Core™ i7-950(for only $299.99)

-Asus Rampage III GENE

-Point of View GeForce GTX 470

-G.Skill DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1600 Kit 

I am not sure which scenario I should take, because I heard that the UD4 is very compatible with vanilla Snow Leopard, but the Asus is a better system for gaming + USB 3.0 + SATA III + better overclock-able and more upgrade possibilities in the future, and Scenario 2 costs only 100$ more for me.

I am also not sure if i should buy the GTX 470 or if i should wait for the GTX 475?

Will [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] overwrite or change my default BIOS and will I still be able to overclock?

And what do you think of my planned fan concept in my soon Hackintosh:

Fresh air blows from the top via two 80mm fans directly though the CPU and the RAM to the bottom.

Because of the size of the GTX 470 which would block the whole air on the bottom with the HDDs, a 80 mm fan gives it fresh air from the bottom.

In the middle in the original fan holder is a 120mm fan which blows the used air from the top and the bottom out of the case.

What do you think?

And i hope somebody could help me with my other questions.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

imo I would personally go with the gigabyte board because they are the most versatile and you can easily pick up a DSDT for it here than any other board. As for gaming goes you wouldn't even need to overclock the i7 CPU because running at stock clock for clock speeds with a GTX 470 it would definitely blow you out of your chair like a homemade girlfriend.

Honestly you don't need to go for the 475 as it won't make a significance difference in your gaming. Now my real question is what do you intend on doing on the Snow Leo side like any in depth GPU intensive work? I know you said you're going to use it as your everyday OS to do things I'd assume like surf the internetz and anything else to your hearts content.

Your two above scenarios would definitely make you happy on both the windows perimeter and the world of OS X so you need not worry. Btw you can opt for the 1333 speed RAM as in real life difference the 1600 won't make a noticeable difference if all you plan on stressing the rig on is gaming the latency of the RAM would probably be a tad more important because you can always overclock a decent brand of RAM to higher speeds and save the money in your pocket assuming you're using proper cooling (x.x)

If your budget constraints aren't that tough on you, you can opt for the 950 because 900 will always look and feel better than 800. 8)

@XLR:

I still think I will take the 470 because i will use it for high end gaming and i like it when everything is on max.

The GA-X58A-UD3R wouldn't fit in my PowerMac Case therefore I need a µATX Board

@TH3L4UGH1NGM4N:

The gigabyte board wouldn't be a problem if it would have a 1366 socket for the i7-950 instead of the 1156.

And I also think i will stick to the 470 because I already read here on the forums that the GF100 chip of the 470 is compatible with snow leo unlike the GF104 of the 460 and soon 475, and thanks for the helpfull reply.

But I am still wondering which scenario I should take.