restart system panic

mn07

13 posts in this topic

This is really pissing me off. My system is working great, until either I shut it down, or overload it with a lot of processing. Then the system displays the error "you must restart your computer. please hold the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again." Or something like that. I am pretty sure it is a kernel panic.

I read around for a while and it seems like a lot of people in the hackintosh community have this problem. I tried deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext, but the terminal either denied me permission, or couldn't locate the file.

Can anyone either give me advice for fixing this problem, or tell me, in detail, how to delete that kext? I cannot install StarCraft2!

My system is:

Intel Quad Core

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

EVGA Geforce 9800 512MB GTX+

(yes, it is Adam's build from lifehacker)

This is really pissing me off. My system is working great, until either I shut it down, or overload it with a lot of processing. Then the system displays the error "you must restart your computer. please hold the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again." Or something like that. I am pretty sure it is a kernel panic.

I read around for a while and it seems like a lot of people in the hackintosh community have this problem. I tried deleting the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext, but the terminal either denied me permission, or couldn't locate the file.

Can anyone either give me advice for fixing this problem, or tell me, in detail, how to delete that kext? I cannot install StarCraft2!

My system is:

Intel Quad Core

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

EVGA Geforce 9800 512MB GTX+

(yes, it is Adam's build from lifehacker)

You shouldn't need to delete any of the built in kexts. In this case placing the NullCPUPowerManagement kext in your Extra/Extensions folder should disable the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext.

In fact, assuming you're running a basic life-hacker build without any additional ddst mods, the following set of kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder should do the job (they're what I used before I modified my dsdt file for speed-stepping):

fakesmc - very important, it lets the system boot

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector - allows the HD to be represented as an internal disk

LegacyHDA - allows sound to work

LegacyJMB36xSATA - allows the JMB sata ports to work

OpenHaltRestart - fixes shutdown/restart

Disabler - disables certain Apple kexts

NullCPUPowerManagement - disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

SleepEnabler - allows sleep

Many of the above extensions are the same as what were used in the LifeHacker build's mkext, but there are a couple of additions and there may be newer versions available. If you go ahead and hunt these down, I'd suggest finding and running Kext Utility once you've got the kexts in place.

Additionally, have you verified that all of your bios settings are correct? For example, if you're running the OS in 32-bit and have HPET set to 64-bit in the bios (or vice-versa), this could cause problems.

Also, what type of RAM are you using? I have 1066 RAM, but I found I had to under clock it to 800Mhz to get a stable system, since there were apparently some timing issues. Also make sure that the RAM voltage is set correctly in BIOS. My RAM requires 2.0-2.1 volts, but the bios default is 1.8V. Until I realized and fixed this RAM problem last Xmas, my system would have memory errors causing program crashes and the occasional kernel panic.

However, if you still want to try deleting the kext (make sure you keep a copy somewhere just in case), you can do so by first navigating to the System/Library/Extensions folder. Then open your terminal and type sudo, followed by dragging the kext into the window. Hit enter and you should now be able to delete the file once your password is entered.

FYI, I run my system in 64-bit mode with most of the above extensions (I was able to remove a few once I modified my dsdt to allow speed stepping - although from what I've read my dsdt mods may no longer be needed since it sounds like Chameleon may soon be handling this functionality in RC5.)

I'm also running SC II without any difficulty - I'm even slightly overclocked to 3.1GHz.

You shouldn't need to delete any of the built in kexts. In this case placing the NullCPUPowerManagement kext in your Extra/Extensions folder should disable the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext.

In fact, assuming you're running a basic life-hacker build without any additional ddst mods, the following set of kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder should do the job (they're what I used before I modified my dsdt file for speed-stepping):

fakesmc - very important, it lets the system boot

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector - allows the HD to be represented as an internal disk

LegacyHDA - allows sound to work

LegacyJMB36xSATA - allows the JMB sata ports to work

OpenHaltRestart - fixes shutdown/restart

Disabler - disables certain Apple kexts

NullCPUPowerManagement - disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

SleepEnabler - allows sleep

Many of the above extensions are the same as what were used in the LifeHacker build's mkext, but there are a couple of additions and there may be newer versions available. If you go ahead and hunt these down, I'd suggest finding and running Kext Utility once you've got the kexts in place.

Additionally, have you verified that all of your bios settings are correct? For example, if you're running the OS in 32-bit and have HPET set to 64-bit in the bios (or vice-versa), this could cause problems.

Also, what type of RAM are you using? I have 1066 RAM, but I found I had to under clock it to 800Mhz to get a stable system, since there were apparently some timing issues. Also make sure that the RAM voltage is set correctly in BIOS. My RAM requires 2.0-2.1 volts, but the bios default is 1.8V. Until I realized and fixed this RAM problem last Xmas, my system would have memory errors causing program crashes and the occasional kernel panic.

However, if you still want to try deleting the kext (make sure you keep a copy somewhere just in case), you can do so by first navigating to the System/Library/Extensions folder. Then open your terminal and type sudo, followed by dragging the kext into the window. Hit enter and you should now be able to delete the file once your password is entered.

FYI, I run my system in 64-bit mode with most of the above extensions (I was able to remove a few once I modified my dsdt to allow speed stepping - although from what I've read my dsdt mods may no longer be needed since it sounds like Chameleon may soon be handling this functionality in RC5.)

I'm also running SC II without any difficulty - I'm even slightly overclocked to 3.1GHz.

Glad to hear you're running SCII without any problems, it will be a good feeling of accomplishment when I finally get that going!

So I know I am a complete noOb when it comes to dealing with terminal and with the underworking of a computer, so please bear with me.

First of all, to answer your questions, my RAM is the Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB. It operates at 800 Mhz, so that should be fine. The voltage required is 1.8V, so I'll check that in the BIOS tonight.

I am 95% sure I am running OSX in the 32-bit mode, but I'll check. My question is that if I switch to 64-bit, will I need to switch all the kexts to 64-bit specific ones? Also, when I go to the extensions folder in my system I cannot see any files. I have been trying to reveal these files, but so far my attempts have been unsuccessful. How can I view them?

Thank you for your detailed input, I really appreciate it. Given your advice I won't keep trying to delete that kext, but I do want to see what kexts I have in the folder. Also, I'll try to add those that you suggested. I downloaded the OSx86 Utility file, so that should help me out with the installation of kexts.

I am 95% sure I am running OSX in the 32-bit mode, but I'll check. My question is that if I switch to 64-bit, will I need to switch all the kexts to 64-bit specific ones?

I was wrong, I am running 64 bit! I just checked my BIOS and everything seems to match up. I did change the DDR voltage to 1.9 from 1.8, as that is what Patriot recommends for this RAM.

Also, I can see kexts in the Extensions folder. However there is no Extensions folder within /Extra. There is, however, the Extensions.mkext file.

On a side note, I am also having trouble getting the PCI NIC to work. Any thoughts on this? Should I upgrade to Chameleon RC4? I am running RC1 right now...

I was wrong, I am running 64 bit! I just checked my BIOS and everything seems to match up. I did change the DDR voltage to 1.9 from 1.8, as that is what Patriot recommends for this RAM.

Also, I can see kexts in the Extensions folder. However there is no Extensions folder within /Extra. There is, however, the Extensions.mkext file.

On a side note, I am also having trouble getting the PCI NIC to work. Any thoughts on this? Should I upgrade to Chameleon RC4? I am running RC1 right now...

If no Extra/Extensions folder exists, you can create one. The default LifeHacker install doesn't have one (they're compiled into the mkext), but many people (myself included) prefer to have some control over these extensions and end up creating an Extensions folder.

Regarding Chameleon, I suggest you upgrade to RC4. There have been significant changes since RC1.

For the Nic card, I'm not sure. I'd try updating chameleon first. Another thing to try would be to remove the card. Boot normally. Then shutdown and reinstall the card. It's possible that doing this may cause the Bios to rescan the system and properly register the card if it wasn't doing so before. If that doesn't work, and if it's available to you, try booting into another OS and see if it recognizes the card (a USB bootable Linux distro for example or Win7). It's always possible that the card is a dud, hence if you can't get it recognized on your system you may want to see if someone else will try it on theirs. If it still doesn't work, that means it may be time to try a return RMA.

As for your earlier question on 64-bit vs 32-bit kexts: in most cases the kext files contain code for both 32-bit and 64-bit operation. However, by my understanding, when the mkext is created, it is created for whichever mode the system is currently operating. Therefore, if you're using the Lifehacker mkext and switch to 32-bit without having an extensions folder to recompile the mkext from, you may have problems. (However, I'm not at all certain of this.)

If no Extra/Extensions folder exists, you can create one. The default LifeHacker install doesn't have one (they're compiled into the mkext), but many people (myself included) prefer to have some control over these extensions and end up creating an Extensions folder.

Regarding Chameleon, I suggest you upgrade to RC4. There have been significant changes since RC1.

For the Nic card, I'm not sure. I'd try updating chameleon first. Another thing to try would be to remove the card. Boot normally. Then shutdown and reinstall the card. It's possible that doing this may cause the Bios to rescan the system and properly register the card if it wasn't doing so before. If that doesn't work, and if it's available to you, try booting into another OS and see if it recognizes the card (a USB bootable Linux distro for example or Win7). It's always possible that the card is a dud, hence if you can't get it recognized on your system you may want to see if someone else will try it on theirs. If it still doesn't work, that means it may be time to try a return RMA.

As for your earlier question on 64-bit vs 32-bit kexts: in most cases the kext files contain code for both 32-bit and 64-bit operation. However, by my understanding, when the mkext is created, it is created for whichever mode the system is currently operating. Therefore, if you're using the Lifehacker mkext and switch to 32-bit without having an extensions folder to recompile the mkext from, you may have problems. (However, I'm not at all certain of this.)

So then if I were to create an Extensions folder, would I need to delete the mkext? Or would what I put in the extensions folder override the mkext

So then if I were to create an Extensions folder, would I need to delete the mkext? Or would what I put in the extensions folder override the mkext

What you'll want to do is fill the Extension folder with the desired/needed extensions and move or rename the mkext (This is a safety measure in case things get fouled up.) When you reboot the system will look for the mkext file and when it can't find it, it will create a new one using the extensions in the Extensions folder. Alternativly, you can use Kext Utility, found here. It will rebuild all the mkexts in your system (and rename the old ones) automatically.

What you'll want to do is fill the Extension folder with the desired/needed extensions and move or rename the mkext (This is a safety measure in case things get fouled up.) When you reboot the system will look for the mkext file and when it can't find it, it will create a new one using the extensions in the Extensions folder. Alternativly, you can use Kext Utility, found here. It will rebuild all the mkexts in your system (and rename the old ones) automatically.

Alright, great. I think I have all the info that I need for now. This is going to be my weekend project so I'll let you know how it works out.

Alright, I updated to RC4 successfully and I was able to install SCII immediately without a kernel panic! I am still using the .mkext that the lifehack build had as default. I want to do the conversion to an extensions folder, but I don't want to lose an important kext that is the mkext. How can I unpack lifehacker's mkext and either add to it, or put those kext into another extensions folder?

Also, my network card is still not being recognized. I tried taking it out and booting it and then putting it back in and booting again, and it still cannot see it (though the green light on the card turns on).

Thoughts?

Thanks! - paul

Alright, I updated to RC4 successfully and I was able to install SCII immediately without a kernel panic! I am still using the .mkext that the lifehack build had as default. I want to do the conversion to an extensions folder, but I don't want to lose an important kext that is the mkext. How can I unpack lifehacker's mkext and either add to it, or put those kext into another extensions folder?

Also, my network card is still not being recognized. I tried taking it out and booting it and then putting it back in and booting again, and it still cannot see it (though the green light on the card turns on).

Thoughts?

Thanks! - paul

You can unpack the mkext using a tool called MKextTool. You should be able to find it with a google search. However, you won't want to use the unpacked kexts, since they will only be partial extracts (32 or 64 bit only instead of both). Furthermore, they may be outdated. Your best bet is to try and find the most recent versions on-line at a site like here or more likly here. I believe however, that if you use the kexts in my earlier list you'll be set, since they should match the lifehacker setup with perhaps one or two extras.

Once you have the kexts put them into the newly created Extra/Extensions folder and run the KextUtility I mentioned previously. It will take care of everything for you, including creating a new mkext and saving a copy of the old one.

As for your NIC card I'm at a bit of a loss. Have you tried disabling the unused built-in ports? (Or have you tried using them - I recall somewhere that it may be possible to use the built-in ports - perhaps with an additional kext.)

You can unpack the mkext using a tool called MKextTool. You should be able to find it with a google search. However, you won't want to use the unpacked kexts, since they will only be partial extracts (32 or 64 bit only instead of both). Furthermore, they may be outdated. Your best bet is to try and find the most recent versions on-line at a site like here or more likly here. I believe however, that if you use the kexts in my earlier list you'll be set, since they should match the lifehacker setup with perhaps one or two extras.

Once you have the kexts put them into the newly created Extra/Extensions folder and run the KextUtility I mentioned previously. It will take care of everything for you, including creating a new mkext and saving a copy of the old one.

As for your NIC card I'm at a bit of a loss. Have you tried disabling the unused built-in ports? (Or have you tried using them - I recall somewhere that it may be possible to use the built-in ports - perhaps with an additional kext.)

I tried enabling them today and using them and that didn't work. Though in the BIOS setup, when I had the ethernet cable inserted and ran a LAN test, it detected a signal! So I know I am close to getting this to work. Perhaps I can install the kexts you recommended to me and that might help the situation a bit. I'll let you know.