• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

lattimus

lattimus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I've followed this guide for installing Mac OS X which is very detailed but I keep getting a kernel panic.

Attached Files

LostVampire

LostVampire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

The most persistant flaw I had was that the system kept freezing. I found that in the Power Management/Energy Saving Settings, the Hard Drive was set to go to sleep. With the configuration of my laptop, the Hard Drive would not wake up again without rebooting. To fix this, I changed the setting that tells the system to sleep the HD. The hard drive now stays on permenantly, but at least it doesn't freeze.

Screensavers and putting the screen to sleep doesn't seem to work. To avoid Burn-in, I recommend shutting down the system when it's not in use. I consistently get the bootup error message that Hibernate Fails and something else has garbage.

I will try turning the hard drive to sleep OFF. Thanks.

For the hibernate fail and garbage error, try thee following commands
$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
$ sudo rm -rf /var/vm/sleepimage
$ sudo rm -rf /private/var/vm/sleepimage

luke9511

luke9511

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I have this screen when i try boot from the dvd
Posted Image
Can you help me please?

I'm getting this same exact thing I don't know what's causing it

soren121

soren121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:-Advocate of OSx86 Snow Leopard and Windows 7!<br /><br />-XHTML/CSS web des...
It's been a very long time since I had OS X installed on my D600. At this point in time, I'd recommend against trying to install it. A lot of applications are transitioning to the Mac App Store, which is unavailable in versions prior to 10.6.8. That makes using Leopard even more of a pain to use on the D600.

If you want a modern OS to run on your D600, I would highly recommend CrunchBang Linux, a Debian-based Linux distro that uses the Openbox WM. It runs very speedily, uses little RAM, and has full hardware support for the D600 out-of-the-box. Better yet, it has a very active support community, and the developer, Philip Newborough, aka corenomial, is quite responsive to community requests.

luke9511

luke9511

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

It's been a very long time since I had OS X installed on my D600. At this point in time, I'd recommend against trying to install it. A lot of applications are transitioning to the Mac App Store, which is unavailable in versions prior to 10.6.8. That makes using Leopard even more of a pain to use on the D600.

If you want a modern OS to run on your D600, I would highly recommend CrunchBang Linux, a Debian-based Linux distro that uses the Openbox WM. It runs very speedily, uses little RAM, and has full hardware support for the D600 out-of-the-box. Better yet, it has a very active support community, and the developer, Philip Newborough, aka corenomial, is quite responsive to community requests.

I'm not worried about apps I'm just doing it cause it interests me and if I do it's just for light Internet stuff

soren121

soren121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:-Advocate of OSx86 Snow Leopard and Windows 7!<br /><br />-XHTML/CSS web des...
Seriously, do not run OS X Leopard. Chrome and Firefox are no longer supported on Leopard. It doesn't receive security updates from Apple any longer, and Leopard on the D600 was always more of an experimental thing than something that could be used daily.

jayman1

jayman1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Installing iPC 10.5.6
on the Dell Latitude D600

Last updated: September 10, 2010

picture1td.png

There are quite a few OSX install guides on the net for the D600, but none of them are really complete, and you sometimes have to mix and match them. So I've gotten 10.5.6 running on my D600 and I'm going to show you how too.

Status

WORKING
  • WiFi (Broadcom cards only)
  • Ethernet (Broadcom 570x)
  • Sound (AC97, speakers & side jacks working)
  • Shutdown & restart
  • Keyboard, pointing nub, and some Fn combos (mute, volume, brightness, and numpad work)
  • Trackpad (normal use and tapping)
  • Basic graphics/video (ATI Mobility Radeon 9000)
  • USB & serial ports
NOT WORKING
  • WiFi with Intel's 2100/2200 cards
  • Edgescrolling on trackpad
  • Graphics acceleration (no driver :()
  • Sleep and hibernation
NOT TESTED
  • Infrared port
  • PCMCIA slot
  • Mic-in jack
  • S-Video out
  • Startup/use on battery power

Requirements

You'll need:
  • A copy of iPC 10.5.6 Final PPF5 (the PPF1+PPF2 iso will NOT work)
  • A flash drive (for copying drivers over)
  • If you have an Intel wireless card, you can try this iwi2200 driver. I don't have an Intel card to test it with, so use at your own risk.

Preparation

You'll need to download the files attached to this post onto your thumb drive. Ethernet and WiFi won't work on first boot, so a flash drive is your only way to transfer drivers.

Walkthrough

• Boot up your D600 and hit F12 at the BIOS screen.
  • Insert your iPC DVD, then select Internal CD-RW/DVD Drive
  • Press any key to boot from the install disc.
  • When the installer loads, open the Disk Utility (at the top menu under Utilities), and format your entire drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  • Back in the installer, choose your hard drive and click Next.
  • Click the Customize button.
  • Select these options:
    • iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System
    • 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel
    • AGPGart 2.7.1
    • LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA
    • AC97 Audio
    • PowerManagement Package
    • ACPI Fix
    • CPUS=1 Fix
    • IOPCMCIA Family (optional)
    • Seatbelt.kext
    • IntelCPUPMDisabler
    • PS/2 Keyboard Fix
    • Patch DSDT
    • OSx86 Tools
  • Click Install.
  • I'd recommend letting the disk check run here if this is your first time using this particular disc. If you've used the same disc successfully on other PCs before, you can probably skip it.
  • After the installer finishes, reboot.
  • At the BIOS screen, hit F12 again.
  • Take out the install DVD, then pick Internal HDD.
  • Press any key to activate advanced options.
  • Type -f and hit enter.
  • Congrats, you made it through the first boot. OSX will volunteer you for its First Boot wizard now. :P
  • On the Internet screen, select "I'm not going to connect this computer to the Internet."
  • You can skip the Registration screen, just click Continue and click Continue again when it asks you about the unfilled fields.
  • Now it will drop you off at your desktop. Plugin your USB flash drive and unzip the D600_kexts_soren121.zip file to your desktop.
  • If you have the Broadcom BCM4306 wireless card in your D600:
    • Copy the IO80211Family.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and overwrite the one that's there.
  • If you have the Intel PROset 2200b/g wireless card in your D600:
    • PLEASE NOTE that this is entirely experimental, I have no clue if this works or not. I highly recommend you get a BCM4306 card off eBay and install it instead of trying to fiddle with the 2200 drivers. As of 9/10/10, the stable 2200 drivers only support unsecured WiFi networks and partially support open WEP. If you want to try this out, continue on.
    • Mount the DMG you downloaded in the Preparation section earlier and run the installer.
    • Read over the instructions inside the installer.
    • Continue through the installer until it's completed.
  • Go to /System/Library/Extensions in Finder, find IONetworkingFamily.kext, right-click it and choose Show Package Contents.
  • Click on Contents.
  • Click on Plugins.
  • Copy the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext into that Plugins folder, and overwrite if there's already one there.
  • Now go back to /System/Library/Extensions and follow Steps 21-23, only this time use ApplePS2Controller.kext.
  • Copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext into this Plugins folder.
  • Open OSx86 Tools and check off the "Set Extensions permissions" and the "Clear Extensions cache" checkboxes.
  • Click the Run Selected Tasks.
  • After a few seconds, it should finish. Click OK and close OSx86 Tools.
  • Reboot.
NOTE: If you're getting Voodoo/rtclock_init errors or kernel panics, enter the BIOS settings, go to page 3, and change Boot POST to Automatic. Thanks to fariono!

And that should do it! I'll be happy to answer any of your questions and solve your problems. :)

Hey, nice tutorial! I just needed some help. Can you please put up a tutorial on how you made your iPC DVD/CD/USB? I am really struggling to make a DVD that is actually bootable. Please don't just tell me a program, I need a tutorial. Please anybody just help me. Thanks!

soren121

soren121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

I'm sorry, but I won't be of much help with troubleshooting your issues. As I wrote a couple posts above you, I haven't installed OS X on my D600 in a long time. I would not recommend installing OS X Leopard on any machine now, not even a Mac. Using Leopard, especially this stunted version, should be only for experimental reasons. Or 'cause you want to.

To the best of my knowledge, if you have downloaded the correct iPC image, and you burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn or a similar program, it should be bootable. Remember that you should be doing an ISO burn; don't just drag the .iso file onto the disk. Also, you may need to hit F12 on the BIOS screen to boot from the DVD drive.

jayman1

jayman1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm sorry, but I won't be of much help with troubleshooting your issues. As I wrote a couple posts above you, I haven't installed OS X on my D600 in a long time. I would not recommend installing OS X Leopard on any machine now, not even a Mac. Using Leopard, especially this stunted version, should be only for experimental reasons. Or 'cause you want to.

To the best of my knowledge, if you have downloaded the correct iPC image, and you burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn or a similar program, it should be bootable. Remember that you should be doing an ISO burn; don't just drag the .iso file onto the disk. Also, you may need to hit F12 on the BIOS screen to boot from the DVD drive.

Thanks for your response. I am just doing it as a hobby. My problem is that when i insert the burnt iPC image (burnt with imgburn), and i select to boot from the dvd drive, there is just a blinking cursor, then a quick flash of a white screen then a window that appears for about 2-4 seconds, which lets me type things in it. After that screen, an error shows up at the top of the screen, which only shows up for about 1/2 a second then goes away. Then it goes into normal HDD boot.

RobertJB

RobertJB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

A Additional instruction on how to upgrade a DEll D600 from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8.

After some time I have the system of a friend of mine up and running.

I used the tutorial as on the first page but also got the system up to date.

First installation was done according to the tutorial of "Soren121" thanks for that one.

Than I did only the combo update to 10.5.8 in he update screen.

After the restart I started again with the DVD and selected all the items as in the installation instruction of "Soren121".

A re-start with -v -f

then installed the two additional kexts and a used OSX86 tools.

done a restart again with -v -f

then did a full update of all additional software and the system is up and running.

Great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy