Make bootable USB from DMG on Windows

cclloyd9785

32 posts in this topic

I'm attempting to "burn" the retail DVD image to an 8 GB Cruzer USB drive. I've used about half a dozen image burning utilities to burn the image, all of which have gotten part-way through and failed.

-Win32 Disk Imager gave me "Error 8"

-Ultra ISO gave this

11# Burning process failed!

12# LBA: 377183

13# Error 2 writing the device.

14# It is recommanded to format the USB stick and try again.

-MacDrive and TransMac show the device as attached, but say "Insert disk into [drive letter]" and "Device is not ready", respectively.

-The command prompt-based Flashnul said after 661 MB written "System cannot find file specified"

Any help?

EDIT: Here's my system specs, if it helps

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD Evo

Video: MSI Radeon 5450

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 rpm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For those of you getting "Error writing to Mac disk"... Try using Transmac v 10.1. I was using an older version(version 9.1) and kept getting the same error. Then I downloaded the latest version (15 day trial) from transmac website and it worked!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've managed to format my 16GB sandisk usb stick with transmac 10.1 with an image of snow leopard, but it doesn't work when i try to boot up my macbook pro with it (held option key during boot up and selected the usb key; it hangs at the apple logo during bootup.

any ideas on why i can't boot from my usb key?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a few months, surprisingly. But I been reading up on this old thread and I noticed that most of you don't see your OSx86 installer flash drives nor that it can even boot up. Let's get busy, starting with....

I downloaded the Iatkos s2v3 (10.6.3) --google it.

I used Transmac (15 days trial or google a cracked version if you like)

inside Transmac, following posts here, I formated my 8gb pendrive to hfs and "burned" my iatkos ISO into it (without renaming to .DMG)

Okay, I followed the exact same procedures (Transmac) of getting the installer on my 16GB SanDisk Cruzer with no partitions. I only used a Kalyway 10.5.2 image which weighed in about roughly 3GB.

post-409379-1264230788_thumb.jpg

post-409379-1264230797_thumb.jpg

1.this Program is windows install Chameleon 2.0 RC4~

2. Updated version Chameleon 2.0 RC4

3. you must uninstall the old version

(1. Select the operating system 2. Point to uninstall.)

4.support Windows2000/XP/2003/Vista/Win7

XP/2003 first install .net 2.0

chinese

.net 2.0组件

english

http://www.microsoft...dd-aab15c5e04f5

Download

link1

http://ishare.iask.s.../f/6601681.html

link2

http://www.brsbox.com/filebox/down/fc/fe30...9d3e76566c8c386

local

Chameleon_Install_RC4.rar

Above source: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1393439

And then I had to download Chameleon Bootloader installer for Windows - since I was running Windows 7 at the time.

So after I set up just the Chameleon bootloader and the Kalyway install image on my USB, it was go-time! I restarted the computer and found "Chameleon" on the Windows boot loader screen and I was able to select that. Then Chameleon bootloader ran nicely, as I looked once again at a boot screen under Chameleon.......... and OMG!!! I clearly noticed my Kalyway USB disk and I was able to boot my OSx86 installer from there!

It seemed kinda complicated to run different versions of Chameleon bootloaders off CD's because it was obvious that I could not afford to waste CD's - especially if any Windows disc-burning software (Roxio, Nero, etc.) didn't burn these right the first time. So, give this a try if everything else fails. And double-check your hardware components along with the versions of OSx86 you are using so there is no fail. Whatever you guys do after installing your OSx86 and getting it running is beyond me. Good luck!

• 5 months later...