ATI Radeon Mobility x1400 Working with full resolution and QE/CI Enabled

ss_insaneguy

109 posts in this topic

I've tried countless kexts to no avail, and have only been able to successfully update to 10.6.3. Any time I try installing 10.6.8 I get kernel panics (probably partially cuz I could only get iATKOS S3 to actually boot and install) I do have a retail SL disc but haven't been able to successfully boot off it (actually get to the install portion) and don't have the patience to wait for replies considering I'm lucky to get a reply within a week or 2. Also in regards to the BCM4311 I've read all over that it should just work out of box on 10.5.5 or better and where the card is recognized by lspci I have no way of configuring it, the system just consistently tells me no airport card installed regardless of versions or of kexts (IOPCIFamily, IOPCMCIAFamily, 80211)

• 1 month later...

I'm using a Dell Inspiron e1705/9400 with a Mobility Radeon x1400, running OSX 10.7.3. I've managed (after a lot of work) to get everything working, and have had a stable "HackBook Pro" for a few months now. After settling into my lappy, I've started installing new things and trying games and whatnot, and have now come to the realization that no Source-based Steam games work, along with a few other full screen 3D games I've tried. Same for the default DVD app, and a few others.

After doing a lot of poking around on the forums, and quite a few Google searches, I'm pretty sure I've determined the cause. The kexts that I'm using are allowing for full resolution with QE/CI, but for whatever reason, it doesn't load an ATI framebuffer. If I run ioreg | grep ATY in terminal, nothing happens. I get no reading. I've tried booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and specifying a framebuffer, but I can't boot at all with that flag. It just freezes before loading the OS.

If anyone else here has this card working to this extent, but still can't get these certain apps working, do any of you know of a solution? Or at least where to start? Much appreciated in advance. Thanks everyone!

• 3 months later...

I realize that this post hasn't been read in a while but I just wanted to share some good news!

I own an IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad T60 2007-66U. It has the ATI X1400 and like everyone else, I had issues getting things like proper resolution, QE/CI and then the mouse tearing issue. I was able to fix every issue; resolution with dong's RadeonHD.kext with custom EDID injection. QE/CI by adding my card's device id to the ATIRadeonX1000.kext Info.plist. Fixing cursor corruption by using Mouse Locator with a transparent png. Everything was fixed and functioning properly except for the flickering cursor and some graphic artifacting caused by mouse movements.

Well, I decided to try and address the last issue of graphic artifacts. I used a hex editor (hex fiend) and changed all instances of 7146 (or rather 4671 since they are reversed hexadecimal values) to 7145. I rebooted with -v -f which caused me a kernel panic the first time. The second time it booted up, but without QE/CI running properly and the mouse cursor had turned into a transparent block of colors. The weird thing is, despite the fact that QE/CI was not working, certain things that rely on QE/CI such like the screen saver and chess did work albeit improperly. The interface stuff like the menu bar and the ripple effect on the dashboard did not work. After a couple minutes of testing, I determined it obviously was not working so I changed ATIRadeonX1000.kext back to the one I had been using (with the info.plist modification only, but not the hex edits). I rebooted again with -v -f, which again caused a kernel panic the first time and then booted up properly the second time.

Behavior returned to normal, but now with the added bonus of completely eliminating all graphic artifacting and mouse flickering. So, inadvertently I managed to fix the issue I set out to eliminate by changing the kext and then returning back to the kext I had been using. Even full screen apps work (like Front Row and Time Machine) without distorting the cursor afterwards.

I couldn't begin to guess why it worked, all I know is that it did! What can I say, OSX graphics drivers are fickle. But I am thrilled to finally have a completely 100% functional bug free hackintosh.

• Like 1

UPDATE!!!

An interesting quirk I just discovered: while my graphics were running flawlessly, eg; no more mouse tearing, no more artifacting, proper resolution & switching, full QE/CI, no more mouse distortion after running full screen apps...

I still didn't have the shadow under my mouse. Not a big deal and certainly something I could live with. But I discovered that if I log out and then log back in, my mouse cursor has a shadow as it should! Couldn't even begin to guess why that is, but hey... it works.img20130508091457.jpg

EDIT: It would appear that sleeping the computer and then waking it back up (which causes a weird glitch where my screen is displayed off center, fixed easily by switching resolution to something else and then back to normal resolution) also makes the mouse cursor shadow work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Dell M90 laptop witih x1400 graphics. I followed the guide and I got everthing working perfectly on SL 10.6.7. 

If I try to update to 10.6.8 and later (Replaced the needed kext with the working kext from 10.6.7) I can not boot. It seems as though 

the laptop will not get qe/ci for anything above 10.6.8. I have a working install of 10.7.4 installed on my spare hdd but cant get the qe/ci on here to work?

• 3 months later...

My install is just stuck at 1024x768. No matter what I try I can not seem to take any steps forward or get the computer to offer me any other choice than that one. My compliments on the detail and clarity of the instructions, but unfortunately for me they had absolutely zero effect.

Oh, I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 video on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I would love to get this working, but I've been fighting with this for over a week now and today might be the day I just give up. I can't have fun with a Hackintosh if it is just stuck with crappy video :(

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Can you help i got 10.6.8 working but this radeonhd kext that you linked does not have any edid section in its info.plist file can you send me your files that you used to get full res and qe ci on 10.6.8 please i cannot get it to work because the radeonhd kext you linked does not even have an edid section to inject my edid in.