OSX on Asus G60VX

jakebb

119 posts in this topic

Ya, I saw drivers for it. It looks like it is recognized as airport but just needs one driver. I will probably put that rtl8187b in this pc, and put the dell 1390 in my asus eeepc 900, my macbook mini.

Ya, I am sure it works, I just went to the realtek website and they have os x drivers for this card. Looks like I don't have to search the internet for kexts.

Oh, and the sleep fix works, you just have to install it after you install the 10.6.2 update. My current project right now is getting windows 7 installed on guid partition.

Hey, I know this is unrelated somewhat, but my HD shows up as external. It actually is internal. It says external in bootcamp and disc utility.

I need this because I am using a version of bootcamp modified for osx86, and it only works on internal hard drives. Mine is internal, how can I get it to think it is internal?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to set up my g60vx using the method jakebb posted, but for some reason I can't get the retail Leopard DVD to boot. I replace the Empire EFI DVD with the retail, it loads a few kexts, and then gives me a memory allocation error.

I've tried changing just about every setting in my bios, used the Empire EFI iso that was supposed to fix this error, taken out a stick of RAM so I only have 2 GBs, booted with boot-132, transfered my Leopard DVD to a flash drive, and just about anything else I can scrape out of my brain. Has anybody else had this error with this computer, and if so, how did you fix it?

I upgraded my 5100 to a 5300 but wish i didn't since neither of them work with OSX. I did have an old 802.11b dell card that works. It just sucks cause now I have a Intel 5100 and 5300 cards collecting dust. I have faith we will see support for the Intel cards shortly. :unsure:

5300? mine was 5100. But buy a dell 1390 if you are tired of waiting for support, it works very well, and goes pretty fast too.

I'm trying to set up my g60vx using the method jakebb posted, but for some reason I can't get the retail Leopard DVD to boot. I replace the Empire EFI DVD with the retail, it loads a few kexts, and then gives me a memory allocation error.

I've tried changing just about every setting in my bios, used the Empire EFI iso that was supposed to fix this error, taken out a stick of RAM so I only have 2 GBs, booted with boot-132, transfered my Leopard DVD to a flash drive, and just about anything else I can scrape out of my brain. Has anybody else had this error with this computer, and if so, how did you fix it?

Dont take out any ram. First of all, make sure you are using the version of empire efi i linked too. There are tons of versions, I can assure you that one works great.

Do not mess with the bios. On the last menu, click reset to manufacture defaults. Click that, the manufacture default setting are perfect.

It is also important to let the empire efi disc spin for a while, wait till it is done, then eject, insert snow leopard dvd, let it spin for a while until it is done spinning, then press F5 then click snow leopard dvd on the menu.

Let me know if you have tried this.

Not sure who this will be useful too, but it helped me, so this is how you get bootcamp working.

1. http://www.kexts.com/view/9-fix_for_orange...w_leopard).html Delete IOAHCIblockstorageinjector.kext from extensions, delete extensions.mkext, reboot. Next, download the replacement that i linked to, and install it using kext helper.

2. http://prasys.co.cc/2009/10/boot-camp-for-hackintoshes/ get replacement bootcamp from that site, it bypasses rom check. Put it into applications/utilities folder, overwrite old bootcamp, then repair permissions using disc utility.

3. Put chameleon onto a flash drive. Just get an old flash drive, format it as Mac osx extended, then use the chameleon included on the empire efi dvd and choose the flash drive as the destination. It will install, then you can boot up from this flash drive.

4. Use the bootcamp, resize the partitions to your liking. Insert windows 7 dvd, install, install drivers and updates, etc. You can now only boot into windows 7, so what you do is insert chameleon flash drive, boot up from it, choose Macintosh HD (or whatever drive you installed osx to) and boot from it using arch=i386 and cpus=1, since com.apple.boot.plist isnt on flash drive.

5. Install chameleon to osx partition using the one on empire efi disc. Reboot, you cant boot from windows 7 now. Insert windows 7 dvd, boot from it, choose repair windows, it will repair.

6. Now you can only boot into windows 7 again... Start up windows, google search easybcd, download, open the program, click manage bootloaders, add one, Choose mac, and for the type click generic x86 pc. Click apply, reboot

7. It now lets you choose whatever os you wish, if you choose OSX it boots using chameleon, if you choose windows it boots windows normally. Tada, now you have mac and pc.

Thanks for the suggestions. It now loads all the kexts from the retail DVD but gives me this kernel panic when it's finished:

post-470558-1264833029_thumb.jpg

Do you think the problem is that I'm using 10.5? I could probably get access to a Snow Leopard disk if necessary.

By the way, here's my specs:

ASUS G60VX

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz

Motherboard Chipset: Intel PM45 (Cantiga-PM) + ICH9M (Enh)

Total Memory Size: 4 GBytes

Video Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (G92-890)

Video Memory: 1024 MBytes of GDDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Controller: Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Hard Drive Model: Seagate ST9320423AS

Hard Drive Capacity: 305,245 MBytes (320 GB)

Disc Drive Model: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT30N

Disc Drive Controller: Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s

Audio Adapter: Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio [A3]

Network Card: Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Network Card: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Thanks for the suggestions. It now loads all the kexts from the retail DVD but gives me this kernel panic when it's finished:

post-470558-1264833029_thumb.jpg

Do you think the problem is that I'm using 10.5? I could probably get access to a Snow Leopard disk if necessary.

By the way, here's my specs:

ASUS G60VX

Intel� Core™2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz

Motherboard Chipset: Intel PM45 (Cantiga-PM) + ICH9M (Enh)

Total Memory Size: 4 GBytes

Video Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (G92-890)

Video Memory: 1024 MBytes of GDDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Controller: Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Hard Drive Model: Seagate ST9320423AS

Hard Drive Capacity: 305,245 MBytes (320 GB)

Disc Drive Model: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT30N

Disc Drive Controller: Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s

Audio Adapter: Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio [A3]

Network Card: Intel� WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Network Card: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

chicka what... Your using leopard? That would explain all the problems you are having. Snow leopard and leopard use different kexts, empire efi has snow leopard kexts. Go to the apple store or best buy and buy the 30 dollar apple upgrade dvd and use that, it is actually the full dvd.

If you want leopard, use iatkos v7, but there is no reason to use leopard anyway since snow leopard is available for this model.

Yeah, Snow Leopard worked perfectly, typing from it right now.

Thanks for all the help.

No problem, glad you got it working.

About both cores, i don't know if the p8700 would solve the problem. We think the both cores could be used if we had a certain option in the bios, but the bios on this model doesn't have that option available. The computer does work fast enough for the average user with one core, though. Just dual boot with windows, and if there is anything the requires extra speed, boot into windows.

Adding a P8700 will not solve the problem. So don't waste your money. I upgraded the CPU in my G60VX to a P8800 for the purposes of playing FFX in PCSX2 @ 99% speed for 98% of the time. I have Snow Leopard installed on a second hard disk using the latest Empire EFI build, and updated to 10.6.2.

Booting without cpus=1 even with the new CPU gives me the same laggy performance as the previous CPU did. On the flip side though, I have managed to resolve the keyboard mapping issues in OS X through the use of a few utilities. A unix command prompt isn't worth it's weight in {censored} without a working pipe key on your keyboard after all.

I used a utility called Ukelele to build a brand new keymap for the keyboard on the laptop. Then using the instructions included with the app, I added the keymap to OS X. The zipped up keyboard layout is attached to this post. Once they keymap is added to the OS, you can use the standard system control panels to select it.

There was another utility that I am still toying with called KeyRemap4MacBook that provides some interesting options for remapping system keys on the keyboard (function keys to volume/brightness, etc). I haven't had much success with it, but it seems the most promising path for getting the hotkeys working in OS X.

U.S.__G60VX__001.keylayout.zip

Mine keeps saying "Still waiting for root device..."

I've been googling and found it's regarding the hard drive. I also read in this thread that you must be using a GUID partition scheme...I haven't done anything to my hard drive after turning on the laptop. How do I setup a partition scheme and/or how do I get passed this message?

Thanks,

-Duo

You can convert your MBR based partition table to a GPT (i.e. GUID) one using a linux utility called gdisk. It is a command line only utility - but you can access get access to it using a bootable CD distro like Parted Magic:

http://partedmagic.com/

Instructions for GPT conversion with gdisk:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/walkthrough.html

Also keep in mind that if you have Windows on another disk, if it's 64 bit, then it will be able to access FAT/NTFS GPT partitions without issues. 32 bit versions of Windows will not be able to do this however. Sadly at the end of the day, this is nothing more than an artificial limitation created by Microsoft as there is no inherent technical limitation that lends itself to this sort of implementation.

• 2 weeks later...
I am at 1024 by 786. I think the drivers are working, just not correctly. I tried reinstalling an selecting no drivers, and everything worked except when I scrolled down on any application, It would just clump all the text together and it looked very odd. In iAtkos there are drivers for this video card, but like I said I don't think it is working correctly since the resolution is low. Also, on some applications, such as photobooth, it says video card not compatible. I actually tried empire efi, although i used snowosx instead of retail leopard. I have also tried the the trial version of psystar rebel efi, although I could not get it to boot since my only retail copy of snow leopard is on a usb stick.

After doing some reading around, it looks like snow leopard has support for this video card (nvidia gtx 260) built in. But leopard does not. I think I might try installing snow leopard, I would love to have better resolution.

• 1 month later...

Following the posts here I was able to get everything going on my asus g60 thank you all very much. Has anyone got this going in 64bit yet? I can get native screen res be no QE in 64 and I did notice something when I first installed (with no hack kexts) it booted and worked fine without cpus=1 and I updated to 10.6.3 and again no added kext no cpus=1 so it has to be in the kext not in snow leo I am going to do a fresh install later this week to work out a few more things with my multi-boot and will install kext one at a time till I find the culprit and maybe get this worked out I did, however email asus on the BIOS matter. I would like to hear from anyone who has any ideas about QE working in 64bit mode

Following the posts here I was able to get everything going on my asus g60 thank you all very much. Has anyone got this going in 64bit yet? I can get native screen res be no QE in 64 and I did notice something when I first installed (with no hack kexts) it booted and worked fine without cpus=1 and I updated to 10.6.3 and again no added kext no cpus=1 so it has to be in the kext not in snow leo I am going to do a fresh install later this week to work out a few more things with my multi-boot and will install kext one at a time till I find the culprit and maybe get this worked out I did, however email asus on the BIOS matter. I would like to hear from anyone who has any ideas about QE working in 64bit mode

I got it natit silent x86_64 and NVenabler 64 works great in 64 bit:)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't use it in 64 bit. No reason to, and it goes slow with it on. All the good applications are x86 anyway. But one thing, boot camp does work on this. I have it working and can dual boot with windows easily. And another thing, chameleon v2 rc4 fixes the system profiler and the About this Mac. They display the correct information after I upgraded the bootloader and rebooted.

Very Cool! I am mainly testing everything natit silent works in 32 bit also as far as Chameleon rc4 it did not give the correct about this mac changed it from 800 to 667 MHz. I did buy the dell 1390 wireless and it works perfect still no solution to cpus=1 and card reader (I just had to re-install trying to get the card reader to work) and the sound cracks a bit on games but over all I am satisfied with the install