Dell Optiplex GX520

TheSnuke

136 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone...I manage to get SL running on my Otptiplex GX 520 (sff) BUT... my Pci slots are not working... Ive tried everything. any ideas?

As far as I know the small form factor only has one PCI slot

Included in everything you have tried, have you checked in bios that it is turned on?

What exactly are you trying to get working via PCI

sorry for the late response.

my dell optiplex gx520 has 2 pci slots which was working when I was using leo4all 10.5.6 Snow leo is not picking up neither slot.

I am trying to use my belkin nic card because I can not get my onboard network card to work without the setmac trick. but when I shutdown and reboot, the mac address is returns to 00:00:00:00.

Is there a perm solution to all this?

I came across this:

sudo chmod 744 /setmac.sh

sudo chown root:wheel /setmac.sh

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow loginhook/setmac.sh

but the terminal states there is no such file called setmac.sh on my system. If can get a perm solution for the mac then the I will nolonger worry about the PCI issues

sorry for the late response.

my dell optiplex gx520 has 2 pci slots which was working when I was using leo4all 10.5.6 Snow leo is not picking up neither slot.

I am trying to use my belkin nic card because I can not get my onboard network card to work without the setmac trick. but when I shutdown and reboot, the mac address is returns to 00:00:00:00.

Is there a perm solution to all this?

I came across this:

but the terminal states there is no such file called setmac.sh on my system. If can get a perm solution for the mac then the I will nolonger worry about the PCI issues

I had to use setmac with Leopard but found it was not needed under Snow

Try this kext AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

and install with Kext_Utility.zip

Anyway to use setmac you have to create it and save it to system/library/startupitems

Create /setmac.sh with the contents

------- File Starts ----------------------------

#!/bin/sh

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:e2:e3:e4:e5:e6

exit 0

-------- File Ends ------------------------------

Dellmant I installed the kext utility and unzipped the 5751 file. I thought it would be in kext format... but it was just the content folder (didnt know what to do so I tried dragging it but kext utility said no kext was found) then I quickly realized that this looks exactly like the kext I had installed when I was running 10.5.6

If it is ... this is the result: network card shows up but its under another IP address and still remain without a mac address until Its manually put it in there via terminal set mac.

I created the setmac.sh and put it in the startup items location. but here is where I get confused, do I type command in the setmac file and save as is or in the terminal and use a save command.

Maybe I shouldve included that snow leo was installed via Iatkos S3 amd\intel edition

(If I dont answer you right away that means I am out cold)

Dellmant I installed the kext utility and unzipped the 5751 file. I thought it would be in kext format... but it was just the content folder (didnt know what to do so I tried dragging it but kext utility said no kext was found) then I quickly realized that this looks exactly like the kext I had installed when I was running 10.5.6

If it is ... this is the result: network card shows up but its under another IP address and still remain without a mac address until Its manually put it in there via terminal set mac.

I created the setmac.sh and put it in the startup items location. but here is where I get confused, do I type command in the setmac file and save as is or in the terminal and use a save command.

Maybe I shouldve included that snow leo was installed via Iatkos S3 amd\intel edition

(If I dont answer you right away that means I am out cold)

Not sure what you mean about another IP address. Do you mean that in System preferences there are two network cards showing? If so delete one. Try DHCP with manual address 192.168.1.2 See if it works with no mac address. Mine did, since I installed a wireless dongle I noticed that the onboard nic has got an address but previously it did not and worked fine.

re setmac if you need it. Create it in texedit

------- File Starts ----------------------------

#!/bin/sh

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:e2:e3:e4:e5:e6

exit 0

-------- File Ends ------------------------------

save it to desktop as setmac.sh drag it to System/Library/Startupitems

In the terminal type

Pretty sure they are the right commands but you can do a search anyway

Im back... with no good news.

The setmac command didnt work. it appear to go through but when I reboot I still have to keep putting in the mac address manually.

I tried to find a kext for my pci issue and found IOPCIFAMILY.kext version 113. still... nothing.

Im back... with no good news.

The setmac command didnt work. it appear to go through but when I reboot I still have to keep putting in the mac address manually.

I tried to find a kext for my pci issue and found IOPCIFAMILY.kext version 113. still... nothing.

The thing is you don't need the setmac under Snow. This kext works, nothing else needed for the onboard network

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

Install it manually in system/library/extensions (and remove any other network kexts you may have installed) Then run kext utility.

I know 8 people personally that it works for on GX520's plus the people from this thread that use it.

Make sure the integrated NIC is turned on in bios and I would remove the NIC from the PCI slot if you still have it there

The thing is you don't need the setmac under Snow. This kext works, nothing else needed for the onboard network

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

Install it manually in system/library/extensions (and remove any other network kexts you may have installed) Then run kext utility.

I know 8 people personally that it works for on GX520's plus the people from this thread that use it.

Make sure the integrated NIC is turned on in bios and I would remove the NIC from the PCI slot if you still have it there

;) ohhhhhh put in there manually ... I feel like a idiot now, that what happens when you are spoiled and got apps like kext helper lol

ok im going to hop to it now.

Dellmantt

I followed your instructions I even went as far as doing several clean re-installations of Iatkos s3. applying the kext you gave me only makes the onboard network detected but the mac address is 00:00:00:00:00:00

I even selected the boot in 32 bit mode patch. I tried switching my boot loader from Asere BLN to Chameleon RC5 still no change Im even thinking about changing the kernal from qoopz 10.3.0 to whatever else is available.

I might have to deal with putting the mac address in manually for now .... :)

Dellmantt

I followed your instructions I even went as far as doing several clean re-installations of Iatkos s3. applying the kext you gave me only makes the onboard network detected but the mac address is 00:00:00:00:00:00

I even selected the boot in 32 bit mode patch. I tried switching my boot loader from Asere BLN to Chameleon RC5 still no change Im even thinking about changing the kernal from qoopz 10.3.0 to whatever else is available.

I might have to deal with putting the mac address in manually for now .... :)

OK you have done a lot of work . BUT does the NIC work without a MAC address?

I just hooked up a SFF GX 520 to my internet router, here is the ifconfig from terminal

en0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

media: autoselect

I can access the internet & also access another computer.

Forget about the address for the moment. What does ti show in system profiler and in system preferences under network

eg

post-530376-1282640140_thumb.png

post-530376-1282640152_thumb.png

This is what I get:

Ethernet Adaptor (en0):

Type: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4 Addresses: 169.254.205.62

IPv4:

Addresses: 169.254.205.62

Configuration Method: DHCP

Interface Name: en0

Subnet Masks: 255.255.0.0

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Media Options: Full Duplex, Flow Control

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Proxies:

Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Service Order: 0

I cant connect to the internet or anything on my network until I put in a mac address.

This is what I get:

Ethernet Adaptor (en0):

Type: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4 Addresses: 169.254.205.62

IPv4:

Addresses: 169.254.205.62

Configuration Method: DHCP

Interface Name: en0

Subnet Masks: 255.255.0.0

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Media Options: Full Duplex, Flow Control

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Proxies:

Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Service Order: 0

I cant connect to the internet or anything on my network until I put in a mac address.

Have to say I am no expert on network

Just trying to help

Have you have tried putting a manual ip number?

yep.. when I put it in manually I restart the modem\router and the internet works for a few seconds then everything goes offline again.. (mac address fault)

Sorry no idea

Maybe somebody else will read this tread

One other thought, you said "the network" Only one computer (the hack) connected to the modem/router?

OK MAC address--this works thanks to Kulos form this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...40539&st=40

Quoting Kulos

Download this:

LaunchDaemons.zip

and extract it. Enter the org.gizmolabs.setMAC folder and edit setmac.sh this line:

/sbin/ifconfig en0 ether 05:14:21:5E:AE:A6

so it matches your correct MAC address. If you do not know your MAC address, you can use Linux to find out. Alternatively, make one up. I cannot promise it will work if you do not use your correct MAC address.

Once saved, drop the folder and the plist into Library\LaunchDaemons and also into System\Library\LaunchDaemons

Reboot your machine. You should find working internet.

about your network question.. man thats a crazy question... I got a Dell Inspiron running Leo4all 10.5.4, an acer laptop running win 7, 2 sony playstation 3's, (the pc im on now) GX 520, Nintendo wii, dell gx 280 and a epson artisan all in 1 fax\copier.

I tried that launch daemon setmac thingy trick also. Im willing to give it another shot.

about your network question.. man thats a crazy question... I got a Dell Inspiron running Leo4all 10.5.4, an acer laptop running win 7, 2 sony playstation 3's, (the pc im on now) GX 520, Nintendo wii, dell gx 280 and a epson artisan all in 1 fax\copier.

I tried that launch daemon setmac thingy trick also. Im willing to give it another shot.

What I meant was do you have more than one computer connected to a router? Don't know if it would make a difference if that was the case. My set up is different just one computer to the ADSL modem then shared from that computer via wireless. And the other 8 peoples I have set up with GX 520's don't have networks only ADSL to computer.

Anyway I tried the launch Daemon on another SSF GX 520 and it worked fine through restarts, kept the address, then again it worked fine withe straight ADSL to computer with Mac address at all zeros too.

Its funny you mentioned the ADSL modems, because I was thinking along those lines..

I wanted to ask you was any of 8 people using routers. Im sure the mac address is used to distinguish devices on a network so most likely that just might be the case, which goes back to what I said earlier about when I do add the ip and subnet in snow leo 10.6.3 manually then reset the modem; the internet works for a few seconds and then stops.

Im assuming the router portion of my modem is probably doing some fault correcting and prevents any further usage of the internet.

Im almost for certain... I mean logically a single device on a dedicated modem do not need to be distinguished from anything else. But again thats my theory & assumption I gotta pull out my network + study {censored} :dev:

I would've never thought this through fully if you wouldn't have mentioned it, because I don't know anyone else who owns a hackintosh like myself plus most of the people I know have the modem\router unit from there internet service provider. I have no way to test this theory out.

Its funny you mentioned the ADSL modems, because I was thinking along those lines..

I wanted to ask you was any of 8 people using routers. Im sure the mac address is used to distinguish devices on a network so most likely that just might be the case, which goes back to what I said earlier about when I do add the ip and subnet in snow leo 10.6.3 manually then reset the modem; the internet works for a few seconds and then stops.

Im assuming the router portion of my modem is probably doing some fault correcting and prevents any further usage of the internet.

Im almost for certain... I mean logically a single device on a dedicated modem do not need to be distinguished from anything else. But again thats my theory & assumption I gotta pull out my network + study {censored} :D

I would've never thought this through fully if you wouldn't have mentioned it, because I don't know anyone else who owns a hackintosh like myself plus most of the people I know have the modem\router unit from there internet service provider. I have no way to test this theory out.

Only 1 of the 8 has a a modem/router. His son plugs his windows 7 laptop into one of the ports & the hackintosh is in another port. They have no trouble that i know of. They live a couple of hours away unfortunately. All the 8 have netcoom modems as is the router and were set up by the ISP at signup.

Your reasoning sounds logical re the router. But if it works after you enter the Mac address via terminal, its a matter of getting it stick through restarts.

I havent started on the launch daemon set mac just yet.. I need a break for now Ill probably jump back on the task tonight.

I noticed you got a gx 520 with a core 2 cpu , did yours come like that or you had to do some tweaking?

My gx 520 is a Celeron D; when I inserted a new core 2 cpu in mines it wouldn't even boot to the bios..

power on yes boot up not at all.

I havent started on the launch daemon set mac just yet.. I need a break for now Ill probably jump back on the task tonight.

I noticed you got a gx 520 with a core 2 cpu , did yours come like that or you had to do some tweaking?

My gx 520 is a Celeron D; when I inserted a new core 2 cpu in mines it wouldn't even boot to the bios..

power on yes boot up not at all.

Mine came with the intel® Pentium® 4 dual core, they also come withe Intel® Celeron® D & Intel® Pentium® D and 3 case configurations.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/opt...cs=22&s=dfh

Here is another way to set the Mac address MACADD.txt.zip

Dellmantt Im back.. still no change.

I dont know whats going on... :)

All I know is when I had it under 10.5.6 everything was good... of course I was still dealing with this onboard mac address issues.. but I still was able to use my Belkin network card card via the pci ports and now those dont even work.

but oddly enough; I love the challenge...

I think Imma stick a video card in there and see what happens.

Dellmantt ... I got my PCI slots working & was able to get my Belkin NIC card running again..

I went inside of the bios and enabled the serial port & LPT port and booted up SL.

Now I gotta figure out how to get this USB 2.0 up running again.

When we troubleshoot we find more trouble.