How to tell if VideoROM in Chameleon RC3 works?

Burpethead

34 posts in this topic

So, what do I have to do??? I have a 8800GT and my PCEFI 10.5 bootloader is on a EFI partition.
. . . IMO highlight = issue

You *might* try moving a copy of NVIDIA.ROM to your EFI partition [its root] & see what happens.

IME (& from the documentation, such as it is) you do not need to specify a path if it is 1) called NVIDIA.ROM & 2) is in root.

ie I have a working setup with NVIDIA.ROM in root & no reference to it - key/path/whatever - in com.apple.Boot.plist

If you're getting tired of battling with this, suggest you could reinstall Cham/PC-EFI & put it in the default location . . . .

. . . IMO highlight = issue

You *might* try moving a copy of NVIDIA.ROM to your EFI partition [its root] & see what happens.

IME (& from the documentation, such as it is) you do not need to specify a path if it is 1) called NVIDIA.ROM & 2) is in root.

ie I have a working setup with NVIDIA.ROM in root & no reference to it - key/path/whatever - in com.apple.Boot.plist

If you're getting tired of battling with this, suggest you could reinstall Cham/PC-EFI & put it in the default location . . . .

To be sure, I've placed copies of NVIDIA.ROM on the following places:

1. The root of my SL partition (disk1s2 in my case).

2. The root of the EFI partition where the bootloader is (disk1s1 in my case).

3. On the Extra folder of the bootloader (/EFI/Extra).

With the file placed that way at the same time, it doesn't work.

I've read somwhere that I have to specify on the com.apple.Boot.plist that my GFX card is not on PCI0 but I don't know how to do that?? I don't even know if it is on PCI0, PCI1, etc.

Another thing I've discovered using the hidden EFI partition is that the DSDT.aml file is read ONLY from the root of the Snow Leopard partition, nowhere else. If I put it elsewhere, it doesn't work and my CMOS is reset. That's how I can tell is not working.

Cheers!

. . . if using the EFI partition isn't fully sorted out, then would suggest the default location makes more sense.

For me that's not an option because I want to leave the Snow Kitty partition untouched.

I will try the -pci1 flag as suggested by Netkas.

Cheers!

It didn't work.

To be safe I've placed the ROM on the root of the SL partition, on the root of the EFI partition and EFI/Extra and my GFX card is not detected. It says my card is 32MB only and I only get 10x24x768. I0ve also checked that the name of the ROM is the same (case sensitive) of the com.apple.Boot.plist (I named it NVIDIA.ROM)

I don't have any injectors or anything. Obviously, I've removed the EFI string. I'm using PCEFI 10.5.

What can I do???

Cheers!

Your confusing yourself, Graphics Acceleration(GFX) and the VideoBios are not the same thing. With an nVidia card it does

not matter if you load the VBios or NOT.

GraphicsEnabler<-----------IS NOT WORKING FOR YOU, forget the Video Bios, one has nothing to do with the other.

Your Video Bios is already loaded by your Bios at POST, all Chameleon does is overwrite that with a file, in the same Ram Space.

You only need to use this if you have an EDITED VBios you need to use with OS X.

GraphicEnabler is not finding your GFX card( PCI 0/1/2<--Whatever) or it does not work with your card.

Your confusing yourself, Graphics Acceleration(GFX) and the VideoBios are not the same thing. With an nVidia card it does

GraphicsEnabler<-----------IS NOT WORKING FOR YOU, forget the Video Bios, one has nothing to do with the other.

Your Video Bios is already loaded by your Bios at POST, all Chameleon does is overwrite that with a file, in the same Ram Space.

You only need to use this if you have an EDITED VBios you need to use with OS X.

GraphicEnabler is not finding your GFX card( PCI 0/1/2<--Whatever) or it does not work with your card.

Ok, I got that.

But what can I do to detect my card without using EFI strings???

I've checked on Everest (on Windows, duh) that my 8800GT is on PCI bus 1, so I assume I have to put the -pci1 flag. I did it and still doesn't work. I tried removing the hyphen and leaving "pci1" only on the kernel flags section of the com.apple.Boot.plist.

When you say that GraphicsEnabler is not working, it means that if I don't make it work I can't inject y modded video BIOS??

Al my specs are on my signature. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Heyo,

Can anyone tell which one is the better way to integrate the graphics card?

Adding an EFI String or with the Graphics Enabler of PC EFI? Are there any differences in performance or any other things?

Thanks in advance!

I got it working!!!

The problem was that I didn't delete the "device properties" tags, just the hex stuf where the EFI string is loaded.

Now my card is detected properly.

Now, I'm using a modded VBIOS (with the fan spinning faster) and my System profiler says that my version is "XX.XX.XX - internal". Does that mean that my modded BIOS is loaded???

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

You have to put the right path of the NVIDIA.ROM. If it doesn't work, it will say XX.XXX.XXX - internal. Otherwhise, it will say the path of the file or just XX.XX.XX - NVIDIA.ROM. The latter means that the VideoBIOS is loaded.

BUT, (on uppercase to make emphasis) on my system the fan is not spinning faster (with the modded BIOS). It stays qiet, even if I set to spin at 80% all the time and increase to 100% if the temps go up 55ºC.

So, in my case is not workin'g as I expected.

Cheers!!!