MSI X58 SL Audio (Alc888s)

tkm795

18 posts in this topic

First of all, for everyone who gets to this post looking for a guide to installing SL on an MSI X58 Pro, there's a very helpful guide on InfiniteMac for another MSI board that worked for me.

Basically you need to install SL from a working leopard partition, install chameleon rc3, patch dsdt and install your kexts.(OpenHaltRestart,NullCPUPM, fakesmc, PlatformUUID, and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.)

Now to get to the point, I've got Snow Leopard working and booting well, but my audio isn't working. I'm a bit of a newbie, so could anyone give me a little help? the two i've found have various methods, and are both for gigabyte versions of the ALC888. Is there any difference between the 888 and the 888S?

Also, is anyone else having speed problems with Snow Leopard?

I was of the impression my computer was quite speedy, what with the i7 and x58, but snow leopard isn't running very zippy.

Thanks in advance.

I just realized I posted in the wrong section by accident, sorry. :(

If the mod could move this, that'd be great.

Tkm795 Hi, I'm new to this macworld, my English is very bad so forgive my mistakes, not many people in these forums that have these MSI X58 boards, but I have one and could not install any Mac OS, and is more difficult even to have your same problem, but if you send and explain, with pictures, how installing Mac OS on the MSI X58, insurance and more people install it may help you with your problem, apologizes for not help this time with your problem but I hope to do in the future.

Hola Tkm795, soy nuevo en este macworld, mi ingles es muy malo así que perdona mis errores, no es mucha la gente en estos foros que tenga esas boards MSI X58, yo tengo una pero no e podido instalar ningún Mac Os, y es mas difícil aun que tengan tu mismo problema, pero si envías y explicas, ojala con imágenes, como instalaste el Mac Os en la MSI X58, seguro mas personas lo instalaran y podrán ayudarte con tu problema, disculpa por no ayudarte en esta ocasión con tu problema pero espero hacerlo en el futuro.

No problem, I'm happy to help. I'm pretty new myself.

If you're installing leopard, I used iAtkos v7, with the defaults, plus "Old APIC" and OpenHaltRestart (OHR) kexts.

The ethernet should work out of the box.

If you're installing Snow Leopard, I'll try to get some pictures but for now :

Once you've booted up in Leopard, get the Snow Leopard dmg and format a partition as Mac OS X Extended ( Journaled ) in disk utility. Call it Snow.

Then open up terminal and put in this :

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Then mount the dmg, and go to Mac Os X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages and run OSInstall.mpkg .

Install it to "Snow". You can deselect Printer Drivers to save some time.

Then install Chameleon RC3 (It's in the attachment) onto Snow.

You should get a "Extra/Extensions" folder on Snow.

Copy the kexts there. The kexts I've included are only a few. If anyone is using more for this board, please let us know, my Hackintosh seems to be running inordinately slow.

From the download pack, open up Kext Utility, and drag it to your dock. Drag the "extensions" folder onto it.

For your graphics card, use EFI strings. (I'll put the guide for that in my next post, still working on it.)

Ethernet should work out of the box.

I still haven't found a solution for the audio.

And the last step is patching DSDT. Open up DSDT Patcher from the download, select darwin, check apply to and select Snow in the drop-down menu.

Then restart, set Snow to first priority in BIOS, and boot with -v. If that doesn't work, boot with -v -x32.

That seems to be as much as I can help with.

If you can't boot, try it without the JMicron kext.

Hope I helped.

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_r.pkg.zip

DSDT___Kexts.zip

KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg.zip

Use the 64 bit version of VoodooHDA.kext. You can find it in Digital Dreamer's zip file for his install or download it from other places:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

I used his install method. Stereo sound works but Mic/Line in does not from initial tests. I have not tested the other channels.

Also, I have not got sleep to work. Let me know if you have sleep working on your board.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I attach my aml and lattest kext, with this dsdt.aml I have a fully working machine with sleep/restart, retart is working with OSXRestart.kext! The only 2 little problems are that shutdown is not working everytime (I use sleep mode insteed) and a lot of sound assertion! If someone have a link to how to eliminate this assertion I would very apreciate!

MSI_GX720_aml___kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I attach my aml and lattest kext, with this dsdt.aml I have a fully working machine with sleep/restart, retart is working with OSXRestart.kext! The only 2 little problems are that shutdown is not working everytime (I use sleep mode insteed) and a lot of sound assertion! If someone have a link to how to eliminate this assertion I would very apreciate!

How did you fix sleep? I mean, wich method/hack on dsdt

• 2 weeks later...