Final Thoughts on System

Starbuckpga

3 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I spent most of the evening putting together a system I thought was fairly worthy. I plan on doing some gaming here and there, some video editing, and what not stuff. I didn't need the i7 setup, so I thought I would save a few bucks with this setup. So you guys tell me what you think, is this a descent setup? Is everything on list compatible? Still looking for a case and PSU, but of course the parts below I need to make sure it will be ok to run the latest Snow Leopard on and be able to dual boot with Windows 7 as well. Will probably pop in two 500 gig drives, a DVD drive and a DVD-RW drive as well. But just wanted to make sure the list below will work, compatible, and is fairly solid build.

Intel Q9650 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-EP45-UD3P

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB (Possible another one in a few months. Is it possible to run SLI?)

Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (Going with 4 gigs at start, will probably go to a total of 8 in a few months)

Ok so those were the four main parts....thoughts? Opinions? Thanks to anyone that can provide some feedback on what I have listed. Thanks!

Well I think that is a decent setup - I've got pretty much the same:

EP45-UD3P

Q9400 2.66 6MB cache

EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB P3-N879-AR

Mushkin Redline Ascent @ 1066 currently

Enermax Pro82+ 525watt

2 sat hard drives totaling 2.5 TB; Scythe Mugen 2 cooler; Pioneer DVR-216D & G5 case

If you are flexible and live anywhere near a Microcenter (local pick up only), then the Q9550 for $170 @ http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0299412 is a MUCH better deal.

A Gigabyte EP45-UD3P is a very well supported board here - lots of guides. Not only that, but since it shares a huge number of components that are present in actual Apple computers, little needs to be done to support this motherboard (I'm thinking audio, LAN & firewire).

Since Mac OS X can't SLI or Crossfire, you could only drive more monitors. While I have (almost) the exact same card (I paid just over $108AR & I wouldn't even pay that now), I would probably avoid EVGA. I've read forum postings where they've become more difficult for in-warranty service. I would probably go to XFX (double lifetime warranty - means its tranferrable to 2nd party) and get a 9800GTX+ or a GTX 260. But I would also look for a deal on a HIS IceQ4 4850 Turbo. I think all 3 cards now are supported via EFI device properties.

If I couldn't find a deal on the Mushkin, I would try Geil or one of the new low voltage sets like a G.Skill Trident. A worthwhile *real* sale on Mushkin is a rarity. Sadly I have 4x2GB Ascent modules, but the Ascent modules are so fat that two can't fit side-by-side.

Here is a further opinion: LGA755 & DDR2 are sunsetting. Don't overpay.

I don't know if the 1156 platform is supported, but mobos for the lga 1156 socket are under $100 now on newegg. Which means, the I5 for $200, way lower than the quad you're looking at, and will overclock very nice. A boost in performace I'd say.