NTFS not mounting

Alkis Lekakis

6 posts in this topic

There are probably dozens of possible explanations. You'll need more diagnostic information, which will guide you to a solution. Some things to check (not necessarily in this order):

• What partition scheme are you using? The old MBR is what Windows uses by default, but x86-based Macs use GUID Partition Table (aka GPT). OSx86 systems can use either. Hybrid configurations are also possible. This whole area is a minefield, particularly when you get into hybrid configurations. Some more specifics below....
  • If you're using a hybrid configuration, check that the MBR and GPT partitions are still in sync. If they aren't (say, if you resized the NTFS partition using a GPT-unaware utility), that could be the source of the problem. This sort of issue could be tricky to resolve.
  • Check that the MBR and/or GPT tables are error-free. Details of how to do this depend on the system you're using, but you'll need at least a basic understanding of the system in question and a good disk utility. By "good," I mean one that lets you dig into the details rather than one that hides them from you. (Apple's Disk Utility hides the details; Apple's fdisk text-mode tool gives you access to the details, at least for MBR disks.)
  • Check that the partition type code for the NTFS partition is correct. On an MBR disk, it should be type code 0x07. On a GPT disk, it should be GUID type E3C9E316-0B5C-4DB8-817D-F92DF00215AE -- but few GPT partitioning tools show you that code; most interpret it in one way or another, and some are useless on that score. My own GPT fdisk can give you the code, and will translate the NTFS code to "0700" on its partition summary. This code is very likely to be wrong if you've used GNU Parted or its GUI relatives to edit a GPT disk, because of a bug in Parted.
  • Can you access the disk under Windows? If so, that suggests a GPT-side partitioning issue in a hybrid configuration, or possibly something very subtle in the filesystem structures that's throwing off third-party utilities but not Windows itself. If you can't access the disk in Windows, then it suggests a pure-MBR or pure-GPT problem, or a more serious corruption of the filesystem structures. Either way, having Windows check the disk for errors makes sense.

Hello,

thank you for your reply. My disks are fine after doing the above checks, and I can access them in Windows (one of the two drives is a Windows installation).

I noticed that after installing Boot Think or Chameleon v2, it stopped working. How can the boot loader stop the disks from loading? ;)

the reason is because you installed paragon and ntfs-3g.

neither work in snow leopard under the x64_86(64 bit) architecture because macfuse hasnt been fully ported over yet, so if you boot in i386(32 bit) it should work. or you can uninstall both of them and readonly support will be re-enabled in 64bit.