SL on a EVGA 680i SLI Mobo?

CyberPrime

18 posts in this topic

Hi fellas, let me explain my situation, and what I am asking... I have a EVGA 680i SLI motherboard, which has been notorious for not working with hackintoshes. It seems a handful of people somewhere have somehow managed to get 10.5 working on theirs, but I certainly haven't. I am trying to install SL on an independent 60GB IDE drive. I have 4 GB of ram, an Intel Core 2 Duo and a 512MB Nvidia graphics card running Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Windows XP.

I tried following lifehacker's guide (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish) but to no avail. I also installed 10.5.1 on a dell latitude laptop I have sitting around, so I have that as a resource.

Now, onto the actual problem I've run into: when I boot off the USB key I get a kernel panic almost immediately. post-354278-1252356392_thumb.jpg post-354278-1252356440_thumb.jpg It seems to be complaining of an unsupported CPU, even though it does the same thing with 1 kernel and 2 kernels.

As well, has anybody gotten SL (10.6) or 10.5 running on their EVGA 680i? How did you do it?

Thanks.

I too would like to know this. I couldn't get Leopard on it, because it couldn't boot with Vanilla kernel. And it can't boot from USB. So it's as if we're double screwed. If anyone has a solution for this, it'd be freakin' wonderful. :lol:

It KPs because it can't use the Vanilla Kernel.

Also how the hell did you boot off of USB like that? My EVGA 680i CANT do that!

I am sure it can, plug in the usb and when the first boot screen comes up press ESC, the boot list will come up and it's under Hard Drives (wtf, I know.).

I'll have to try that!

See my Snow Leopard thread...... :P

EDIT: I installed the latest Chameleon RC3 and it boots just fine. So instead of installing RC1 then upgrading to PC_EFI v10.2, just install Chameleon RC3. Instead of booting with -x32 youll have to use arch=i386 though.

Im writing this from my EVGA 680i SL install. Boots vanilla just needs -x32 flag. Basically I used my IPC install to mount the image and install it to another hard drive. Then I installed Chameleon RC1 onto that hard drive and upgraded to PC_EFI v10.2. I used the following kext's in the Extra folder: AppleNForceATA, fakesmc, nForceLAN, NullCPUPowerManagement, NVEnabler, NVinject, OpenHaltRestart. Boot with the -x32 flag and you'll get into the os. Once there, install the kext's using kext utility and you're done. The only thing I can't get to work is my SATA DVD drive. Everything else works! Let me know if you have questions. But... This method assumes you have a working OSX installation.

USB booting issues...

Also, as weird as it sounds... When I reboot from a windows partition, my USB drive shows up on the boot options of the mobo everytime... Not so much when I last used a OSX partition.

Im writing this from my EVGA 680i SL install. Boots vanilla just needs -x32 flag. Basically I used my IPC install to mount the image and install it to another hard drive. Then I installed Chameleon RC1 onto that hard drive and upgraded to PC_EFI v10.2. I used the following kext's in the Extra folder: AppleNForceATA, fakesmc, nForceLAN, NullCPUPowerManagement, NVEnabler, NVinject, OpenHaltRestart. Boot with the -x32 flag and you'll get into the os. Once there, install the kext's using kext utility and you're done. The only thing I can't get to work is my SATA DVD drive. Everything else works! Let me know if you have questions. But... This method assumes you have a working OSX installation.

USB booting issues...

Also, as weird as it sounds... When I reboot from a windows partition, my USB drive shows up on the boot options of the mobo everytime... Not so much when I last used a OSX partition.

Can the working OSX install be on a separate computer?

Hmmm. Yeah I guess you could install it from another computer. I don't see why not, but I haven't tried it. If you guys want to get Leopard up and running with everything except cd burning just use the iPC 10.5.6 Final distro. It worked very very well. You'll have to boot up with the cpus=1 flag though...

Anyhow back on subject. Install snow leo on the other computer to your chosen HD by navigating the the osinstall.mpkg file. You can find it by showing all files... Once the install is done, just install chameleon's latest (rc3). I've tested it and it works. Make sure to choose your target HD. Place the needed kext's in the extra folder. boot with the arch=i386 flag, and then install kexts or use dsdt.aml. That should be it. Let me know how it works for you. I am no expert, but after a few days of tinkering, I am running it just fine on my EVGA680i. Oh and by the way, on 10.5 I was able to update from 10.5.6 to .7 and .8 with the software update! Who said it doesn't work on an nforce board. :)

I'm gonna try it and if it works I'm gonna love you forever because it'd put an end to many hair pulling nights. If I install Cham2 on the drive, it won't harm my Windows install, will it? (Win7)

Sorry I'm asking all these n00b questions, but I just wanna be sure. I only have retail EFI Vanilla SnowLeo on a laptop that isn't booting another OS, so I'm just being careful.

It won't harm the install, but you'll have to boot the recovery console off the windows 7 disc and type diskpart. Essentially you have to make the windows partition active... So run the following commands...

list disk

select disk n (where n is the disk your windows partition is on)

list partition

select partition n (where n is the windows partition)

active

exit

Once you've run those commands when you click repair your computer on the windows 7 cd it will automatically detect the problems that the chameleon bootloader has caused and repair them. When you restart it will boot straight to windows... Now open a command prompt again, and repeat the diskpart commands above again, but this time make your OSX partition active. Then chameleon will load and allow you to boot both OS's.

Ask me how i Know. :wacko: I screwed mine like this. lol.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I finally got sl working on my nvidia 680i sli. 4 cores too. I did it via boot132 (empire) problamatic version and retail dvd. Now I need to install a boot loader (so I don't have to use the empire disc to boot into my sl volume). I also need to get ethernet, audio and gpu kexts. System seems to crash when I load my old kexts from leopard. I'm still new to this. I had leopard working perfectly with my old 2 core duo. I've installed a q6850 cpu, just can't get it to work with leopard?? It only works with my old cpu. Snow leopard is for me and a new cpu works with sl, no point going backwards :P I need to figure out how to get all my peripherals working.. I'll up date as and when I make progress.

I used that Life Hacker guide aswell. I got the exact same error on my XFX 680i SLi motherboard.

I'm guessing it will be virtually the same across all 680i boards.

I really hope you're serious, I'm glad your post was recent, hopefully good things will come from you getting it to work kingafrica! I'll be toying around with it to see if I get any similar results. Just have to burn a clean copy of SL. I lost my Supersized USB stick :censored2: R.I.P. USB.

Edit<

So I've tried installing it using the EE Legacy disk, but I get the message "Still waiting for root device"

This doesn't happen with other installs, just SL. Plus I read other users with this same problem for EE. I hope there will be a solution for this :/

Alright so I got SL fully working on a 680i XFX board!, check out my convo with verdant on page 25 of his SL guide if you want to know how.

• 3 weeks later...
USB booting issues...

I have a reference 680i and suffer from the same issue. Has anyone found out why/how to make this not the case?

• 1 month later...
Hi fellas, let me explain my situation, and what I am asking... I have a EVGA 680i SLI motherboard, which has been notorious for not working with hackintoshes. It seems a handful of people somewhere have somehow managed to get 10.5 working on theirs, but I certainly haven't. I am trying to install SL on an independent 60GB IDE drive. I have 4 GB of ram, an Intel Core 2 Duo and a 512MB Nvidia graphics card running Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Windows XP.

I tried following lifehacker's guide (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish) but to no avail. I also installed 10.5.1 on a dell latitude laptop I have sitting around, so I have that as a resource.

Now, onto the actual problem I've run into: when I boot off the USB key I get a kernel panic almost immediately. post-354278-1252356392_thumb.jpg post-354278-1252356440_thumb.jpg It seems to be complaining of an unsupported CPU, even though it does the same thing with 1 kernel and 2 kernels.

As well, has anybody gotten SL (10.6) or 10.5 running on their EVGA 680i? How did you do it?

Thanks.

I have no help for the USB issue but I have an EVGA 680i SLi q6700 4Gb and dual 9800gtx+.

Kernal - StageXNU

Drivers

Video drivers - nvinject 512 for most 6,7,8 series

Chipset - AppleNForceATA

Audio - If analog 3.5 mm stereo jack use Other Audio Drivers and select Azaila

if using hd Audio / Fiber Optic wait and install the driver after boot

Ethernet - nForceLAN Driver

USB - Patched USB Drivers

Fixes and Patches

Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

Shutdown/Restart Fix

AppleSMBIOSPatch - I have 800MHz so I select 800 you would select your according to

your speed.

Applications I select all but Marvin's and Zephyroth's

The attached file is for the AppleHDAPatcher app to get audio working.

Let me know if this helps.

ALC_885_Codec.txt

• 7 months later...

I have tired on my Evga Nforce 680i sli, work but only one thing is keep crash MAC and DVD is not able to read it either because of its not match Evga 680i yet, but it worked 10.5.5. everything is great, i'd suggest you to get that Ideneb 10.5.5. I know how its cool to be on 10.6. I complete understand but I am kind disappointed not work on 10.6 100%.

I have tired on my Evga Nforce 680i sli, work but only one thing is keep crash MAC and DVD is not able to read it either because of its not match Evga 680i yet, but it worked 10.5.5. everything is great, i'd suggest you to get that Ideneb 10.5.5. I know how its cool to be on 10.6. I complete understand but I am kind disappointed not work on 10.6 100%.

I know there is a lot of reading to do but see my blog nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU install guides for distros (Snow Leopard and Leopard), and my nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide here and my Leopard nForce Pre-Series 7 thread......BUT as well as trying on 10.6.x with the vanilla kernel, also try SL non-vanilla kernels..... :unsure: