• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

bm28

bm28

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This might be a long shot but could someone give me a step by step explanation (or a more detailed one)?
I'm new to using a mac and have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Thanks

sunkid

sunkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

This might be a long shot but could someone give me a step by step explanation (or a more detailed one)?
I'm new to using a mac and have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Thanks

Can you give us more detail on what you tried and what happened? Without knowing where to start, it's not so easy to provide a more detailed explanation. Usage of the Terminal application is probably a bit beyond the scope of this guide.

bm28

bm28

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was already able to to pick the folders (Download & Public) in My Book World edition.
I created a sparsebundle file in Disk utility and copied it over to the download folder, naming it the same as the one created when attempting a back up.
Set Time machine to back up to the Download folder where i had copied the new disk image.
But I'm still getting the error 45 after Time machine tried to create it's own.
I have checked and there appears to be nothing different between the one i created and the one Time machine tries to create.
Totally lost.

sunkid

sunkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I was already able to to pick the folders (Download & Public) in My Book World edition.
I created a sparsebundle file in Disk utility and copied it over to the download folder, naming it the same as the one created when attempting a back up.
Set Time machine to back up to the Download folder where i had copied the new disk image.
But I'm still getting the error 45 after Time machine tried to create it's own.
I have checked and there appears to be nothing different between the one i created and the one Time machine tries to create.
Totally lost.

What operating system is running on the machine that is serving the folder you are trying to use? What protocol do you use (AFP, smb, nfs)?

bm28

bm28

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I'm using 10.6.
(What protocol do you use (AFP, smb, nfs)?) I hate looking stupid but i dont even know what that means.

I have also tried something from this website
http://forums.mactal...age-10-6-a.html

No matter what i have tried Time machine always tries to create a sparsebundle and then fails.

Sorry, just realised you weren't referring to Snow leopard when you said op system, do you mean on my book world edition, i would have to try and find out.

skabob11

skabob11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Success!

It can be confirmed that this method will not work if your target machine OSX is older then 10.5. Upgraded my Tiger machine to Leopard and backups started right away with the script @sunkid provided.

Thanks all!

zoob

zoob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
One extra step if you do not have a UUID. I use Chameleon BTW.

Edit /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist
Add:
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>

This made it so that my computer could generate a UUID, because my /var/log/system.log was saying it couldn't get a UUID for my computer.

Then I was able to do part 3.b. It just backed up my whole Hackintosh!

PCMacUser

PCMacUser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm using 10.6.
(What protocol do you use (AFP, smb, nfs)?) I hate looking stupid but i dont even know what that means.

I have also tried something from this website
http://forums.mactal...age-10-6-a.html

No matter what i have tried Time machine always tries to create a sparsebundle and then fails.

Sorry, just realised you weren't referring to Snow leopard when you said op system, do you mean on my book world edition, i would have to try and find out.

Hi there,

I just got Time Machine working on my MyBook World Edition using sunkid's instructions (thanks sunkid!).

The important thing is to copy the plist file with the UUID into the .sparse file on your hard disk before copying it to the backup location.

To answer the question about which file system the MyBook WE uses, it's CIFS (SMB).

sejanus

sejanus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sunkid, thanks a million for this! It was driving me insane.

All working great now.

I had built a PC with 8 hard drives specifically for TM backups and 10.5 was really bugging me because of it :D

ShadowZephyr

ShadowZephyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I figured it out to get this to work on Home Server

All you have to do is format the drive as HFS+, install MacDrive so that windows can access it, share it via SMB sharing, then use the guide on this page to make the sparsebundle. It's backing up for me as we speak!

sejanus

sejanus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
shadow - you don't need to make the drive on the windows server hfs, or use anything like macdrive. just the script to create the correct image with the uuid info is all you need.

Deadend12

Deadend12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Fabulous Script Mate... worked for me like a charm... after spending like 4 days trying to get this to work. Was nearly going to rip back down to 10.5 (What makes an upgrade an upgrade if it offers me nothing, and detracts from even a single function?). But no, absolutely lovely.

Just a note. The script whined at me for not having firewire or something (I have a 1st gen aluminum macbook), but I used the image anyways and it worked just fine.

cbtoralba1823

cbtoralba1823

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
It works, THX

rsvirani

rsvirani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You should add:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

to you shell script. Thank you for the post, helped me out.

Lagavulin

Lagavulin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
WOW!

Thanks!!!

10.6.1 and D Link DNS-323

methylparabex

methylparabex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright guys, I'm completely stumped. I've been trying to get this to work for days - I've tried the manual method and after a couple minutes of making the disk space available, I will receive error 45 no matter what. I am trying to back up to a Vanilla box of WHS, no HP MSS. I am currently running 10.6.1. But, when I try to use the script I receive this error:

sh ./makeImage.sh 600
: command not founde 7:
'/makeImage.sh: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `
'/makeImage.sh: line 8: `usage ()

Could someone please help me? I'm a new mac user and would appreciate it greatly! Thank you!

Nick

sunkid

sunkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Alright guys, I'm completely stumped. I've been trying to get this to work for days - I've tried the manual method and after a couple minutes of making the disk space available, I will receive error 45 no matter what. I am trying to back up to a Vanilla box of WHS, no HP MSS. I am currently running 10.6.1. But, when I try to use the script I receive this error:

sh ./makeImage.sh 600
: command not founde 7:
'/makeImage.sh: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `
'/makeImage.sh: line 8: `usage ()

Could someone please help me? I'm a new mac user and would appreciate it greatly! Thank you!

Nick

That's an odd syntax error! Try downloading the script again, maybe your download got corrupted.

methylparabex

methylparabex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sunkid,

Honestly I thought that you were just blowing me off with an answer like that but I can confirm that after redownloading the script, it worked without a hitch. Quite simply, it just works. Thank you very much for your quick response and for your work. I was starting to get extremely frustrated. Thank you, thank you!

Nick

sunkid

sunkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Sunkid,

Honestly I thought that you were just blowing me off with an answer like that but I can confirm that after redownloading the script, it worked without a hitch. Quite simply, it just works. Thank you very much for your quick response and for your work. I was starting to get extremely frustrated. Thank you, thank you!

Nick

Glad to hear it worked. I was really a bit at a loss about this error since the script seems to work for others.

iCeline

iCeline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The hint with the UUID in the "com.apple.TimeMachine.MachineID.plist" was excellent!

Now backuping works fine with Mac OS 10.6 (Client) on a Linux Server over SMB share.

Great job!!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy