GA-G31M-ES2L alternatives?

57 posts in this topic

actually i was thinking about purchasing this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleD...st=Combo.390691

Could it work?

Im new to the hack scene and have been reading this forum for months. I really would like to start off with a low end hackintosh to get me into it. I have a friend that is willing to help me build one, but he is constantly busy with his job and its really hard to ask him questions about compatibility and things of that sort. Any help would be appreciated and if anyone could steer me to a couple of clear resources to answer my basic questions, it would be very helpful.

actually i was thinking about purchasing this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleD...st=Combo.390691

Could it work?

I don't think that ASUS mobo will work.

Personally, I'd avoid that for a Hack. If you want the cheapest possible Hack that will definitely work, just get a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L motherboard, compatible graphic card, and similar CPU/case/RAM. (Also, I wouldn't waste slots with 2x 1GB DDR2 sticks such as in that combo, but just start with a single 2GB DDR2 stick, and move up to a second to maximize dual RAM slots on most microATX boards.)

A decent Hack can be done following the above, at around the $350 range.

What wifi card are you using?

Oops sorry I should have listed that shouldn't I! I have tried 2 cards a TPlink tl wn851n & a DLink dwa 547 range booster. Both listed as working! They seem to both have the same dev id pci168c,0029. Any ideas?

Cheers

• 3 months later...
I got Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C Identical to GA-G31M-ES2L. GA-G31M-ES2C This works great with iatkos v_7 with no problem at all.

I have the same mobo, and I'm using iATKOS vS3 and running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and I still cannot get ethernet to work on this guy. I've tried using AttansicL1eEthernet.kext to get it working and still no luck. I've even tried using KextHelper b7 and still no ethernet. Can someone PLEASE HELP!!!! ;)

I have the same mobo, and I'm using iATKOS vS3 and running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and I still cannot get ethernet to work on this guy. I've tried using AttansicL1eEthernet.kext to get it working and still no luck. I've even tried using KextHelper b7 and still no ethernet. Can someone PLEASE HELP!!!! :unsure:

http://code.google.com/p/iats/

*32 BIT - use version for Leopard

• 1 month later...
Hello, I'm planning on buying a cheap hackintosh configuration. I see that this GA-G31M-ES2L MB is higly recomended and afordable. I have a question, I see that it's already has some graphic on board, is it necesarry to buy a graphic card with this MB?

if you want full graphics support then yes. If you don't care about changing resolutions or running software that requires fully supported graphics cards then no.

My recommendation is to build a system as close as possible to what Apple either offers now or what they have offered in the past (Intel Macs).

• 4 weeks later...
I got Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C Identical to GA-G31M-ES2L. GA-G31M-ES2C This works great with iatkos v_7 with no problem at all.

I used Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C and installed iATKOS v7 10.5.7 Intel/AMD DVD,,after finishing installed then rebooted, I'm facing hangs,freezes or kernel panics (which is present as a shutdown symbol on the screen).

would you help me please to do? or please tell me step to install it...

thank you