Simple Questions

4 posts in this topic

I have three simple questions that I think the Moderators can answer without any trouble.

Why I'm asking that:

I usually see a lot of people saying that according to Apple Terms Mac OS X on PC is illegal or something like that, and I know too that sites have to be very "clean" to put Google ads. So:

1. OSx86 Project can be assigned as Hacking or Cracking?

2. Is teaching people to install Mac on their PC illegal? Why it is or not?

3. Why do InsanelyMac has Google Adsense if it says in Google's Terms and Conditions:

"Sites with Google ads may not include or link to:

[...]

- Hacking/cracking content

[...]

- Any other content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity or infringes on the legal rights of others

[...]"

Hope that you understand.

Thanks for the attention.

1. It can be either hacking the installer to accept your system or cracking it. It depends on a lot of factors including which disk image you choose.

2. Discussing something is perfectly legal. A while back we got slapped by Apple legal and one of the terms was so long as we don't post the actual files needed to crack the installer, everything else was okie dokey.

3. I don't know this one, but the Google ads have always been a hot topic.

Another point just for clarity, especially on number 2.

This site is not hosted in the U.S.A., where the DMCA is the only thing that makes it 'illegal'. That would be the hacking/cracking of the encryption of the binaries in the OS.

If you want to even be more pedantic about this, then no one here is actually doing any hacking/cracking in the specific terms of breaking encryption, only the original developers of the r2d2/r3d3/dsmos/appledecrypt kernel extensions are the ones who ever did any real 'cracking'. Everyone else can be seen as merely reverse engineering for personal use, aka Fair Play. Only corporations like Psystar are making any money from it, not us.

Admittedly a large portion of the rest of the visitors of this site are not from the U.S.A., and it is not 'illegal' everywhere to accept the terms of the EULA (End-User License Agreement, not legally binding) and then install OS X on a non-Mac computer.