[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Old thread, but a good one....

Seeing that the OSXL stuff somewhat descends from this CD, I'm interested to see if anyone has 'crossgraded' from the original leppy700m CD to using OSXL's EDP, and what you might have run across doing such a 'crossgrade.'

UPDATE.

Crossgrade does work, but care is needed. See: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/62-dell-latitude-d620-thread/page-10&do=findComment&comment=3944 and its enclosing thread for the major clues needed.

I have my laptop working now. I got Mac OS X 10.6.0 installed on it. I found the boot loader about 1 year ago. There is only one problem, I am getting the boot0: error message at start up when i boot from the hard drive. How do I fix it?

I have my laptop working now. I got Mac OS X 10.6.0 installed on it. I found the boot loader about 1 year ago. There is only one problem, I am getting the boot0: error message at start up when i boot from the hard drive. How do I fix it?

I got the boot0 issue a few days ago, but 'fixed' it by copying back a pristine copy of /Extra. But I had a fully working setup since 2009 until then, and just copied what had been working in 2009.

And I can say that you can

I got the boot0 issue a few days ago, but 'fixed' it by copying back a pristine copy of /Extra. But I had a fully working setup since 2009 until then, and just copied what had been working in 2009.

And I can say that you can

Since my last hard drive had crashed I don't have a working copy of /extra. Would you mind giving me a copy of the /extra folder. I would greatly appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

JTylerBlake,

I'd recommend you use the OSXL (osxlatitude.com) methods at this point. You'll be happier.

Can you currently boot the bootCD in this thread? If so, you can boot your installation that way and use it to create the boot USB the OSXL method needs.

I went through the two different /Extra directories (the one where I got the boot0: error, and the one that works (well, worked until I reinstalled with the OSXL method)):

dhcp-pool160:/ root# diff -rq Extra-leppy Extra-backup
Files Extra-leppy/.32plist and Extra-backup/.32plist differ
Files Extra-leppy/.64plist and Extra-backup/.64plist differ
Files Extra-leppy/com.apple.Boot.plist and Extra-backup/com.apple.Boot.plist differ
... (additional items in /Extra-backup/tmp, and they're all '._' files)...

In that snippet above, Extra-leppy is the copy of the working /Extra; Extra-backup is a copy of the non-working /Extra. Looking at the three differing files:

dhcp-pool160:/ root# diff -u Extra-leppy/.32plist Extra-backup/.32plist
--- Extra-leppy/.32plist 2009-11-22 01:05:26.000000000 -0500
+++ Extra-backup/.32plist 2013-04-02 16:56:52.000000000 -0400
@@ -9,6 +9,6 @@
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
-	 <string>10</string>
+	 <string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>
dhcp-pool160:/ root# diff -u Extra-leppy/.64plist Extra-backup/.64plist
--- Extra-leppy/.64plist 2009-11-22 01:05:11.000000000 -0500
+++ Extra-backup/.64plist 2013-04-02 16:56:52.000000000 -0400
@@ -9,6 +9,6 @@
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
-	 <string>10</string>
+	 <string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>
dhcp-pool160:/ root# diff -u Extra-leppy/com.apple.Boot.plist Extra-backup/com.apple.Boot.plist
--- Extra-leppy/com.apple.Boot.plist 2009-11-22 01:03:14.000000000 -0500
+++ Extra-backup/com.apple.Boot.plist 2013-04-02 16:56:52.000000000 -0400
@@ -9,6 +9,6 @@
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
-	 <string>10</string>
+	 <string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>
dhcp-pool160:/ root#

And that's just the timeout. So the files themselves didn't differ. But the permissions and ownerships aren't checked by 'diff -rq' as above. And the ownership is different, and I'll have to check and see what that tells me.... Will update.

UPDATE:

After a bit of research, it's rather unlikely that what fixed mine will fix yours, and a copy of my /Extra (which was directly from the original bootCD posted way back) won't help you. This is because of what caused my issue in the first place. There is something else going on in your case, I'm afraid, and not having your box in front of me I don't think I can successfully guide you through it. Sorry.

• 11 months later...