stuck at apple logo screen

duce1nik

28 posts in this topic

intel p4 3.0ghz

ide harddrive

1g memory

ati 3650

install was no problem.after installing leoard iatoks v 7 try to boot in but stuck at gray screen with the apple sign. thank in advance for any help

Same

You probably need to choose a different kernel when you install. P4s don't take vanilla kernel. Maybe try the voodoo kernel.

Khan

Ok i'll give it a go. I'm runnng a Foxconn P43A01, chipset: P45/P43 & Intel Quad Core Q6600.

intel p4 3.0ghz

ide harddrive

1g memory

ati 3650

install was no problem.after installing leoard iatoks v 7 try to boot in but stuck at gray screen with the apple sign. thank in advance for any help

when you're at the boot menu, type -v and hit enter. that will boot osx in verbose mode, which means it will give text instead of the grey splash screen. then post here what it says at the end, when it stops (or anything else suspicious that you see). that will help us to help you better. :)

try custom install with voodoo kernel still stuck. did -v at boot menu at the end of list it keep saying "still waiting for root device" how can I screen capture?

when you're at the boot menu, type -v and hit enter. that will boot osx in verbose mode, which means it will give text instead of the grey splash screen. then post here what it says at the end, when it stops (or anything else suspicious that you see). that will help us to help you better. :)

how do i screen capture in boot menu ?

I have tried many possible of kernel on my system, i almost reinstalled my mac os through ipc about 10 times. although same error i get "waiting for root device"

i searched google many people suggested random {censored} tried all, still no success only dead end

can some1 help solve this problem

Still waiting for root device means boot loader can't find a hard drive. Go into your BIOS and see what hard drive modes you have, try AHCI. If you don't have AHCI in your hard drive controller modes you are going to have to different drivers in your install setup. ICHx, PIIATA....

Khan

Still waiting for root device means boot loader can't find a hard drive. Go into your BIOS and see what hard drive modes you have, try AHCI. If you don't have AHCI in your hard drive controller modes you are going to have to different drivers in your install setup. ICHx, PIIATA....

Khan

hey khan,

thanks for quick response, as i understand my boot loader cant find hard drive...

I went to BIOS and its pretty basic it does not have many options, it does not have any information about hard drive being AHCI or other mode...it only lists name of my hard drive...

so was wondering if I can follow different steps to this problem. is it possible to change hard drive mode without BIOS?

thanks again for help

Khan

Activaed the AHCI on my Bios and re installed OSX just to be safe, still won't load. did -v at the start up and the last two lines are:

'MAC Framework Successfully initialized

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 Clusters IO buffer Headers'

Khan

Activaed the AHCI on my Bios and re installed OSX just to be safe, still won't load. did -v at the start up and the last two lines are:

'MAC Framework Successfully initialized

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 Clusters IO buffer Headers'

Any Ideas please?

after several time trying to get iatkos 10.5.7 to work.. i intall iatkos 10.5.5 everything seem to be working fine. Would like to get 10.5.7 to work, because want to start learning to develope iphone app and 3.0 version require 10.5.7 anyone got it to work on p4 yet?

@ duce1nik, What is the chipset of your motherboard? Also see comments below @ nill911.

@ Reefa, I've seen that error before, trying to remember. You might want to do a search on that phrase. Seems to me there is a patch. Maybe check your DVD for... damn, I can't remember what it was called.

@ nil911, Are you formating GUID, MBR, APM? I'd recommend MBR if you are using a hacked disk. GUID if you are using Retail install method.

Khan

@ duce1nik, What is the chipset of your motherboard? Also see comments below @ nill911.

@ Reefa, I've seen that error before, trying to remember. You might want to do a search on that phrase. Seems to me there is a patch. Maybe check your DVD for... damn, I can't remember what it was called.

@ nil911, Are you formating GUID, MBR, APM? I'd recommend MBR if you are using a hacked disk. GUID if you are using Retail install method.

Khan

Via p4m266a NB/VT8235CD SB I'M using mbr

Khan

Ye really annoying i have seen that same prob around the net but can't remember where. Cheers for the help anyway, i'll go looking for the patch and report back if i find it.

@ duce1nik, oih, Via chipsets are not well supported by OS X. I'm surprised U got 10.5.5 to work. Where there any VIA chipset options on your Atkos!?

@ Reefa, I had a look at my iPC list, I think it is called ACPI fix (iirc). If U can't find it I can PM it to U. about 800k

Khan

@ duce1nik, oih, Via chipsets are not well supported by OS X. I'm surprised U got 10.5.5 to work. Where there any VIA chipset options on your Atkos!?

@ Reefa, I had a look at my iPC list, I think it is called ACPI fix (iirc). If U can't find it I can PM it to U. about 800k

Khan

no via chipset option. 10.5.5 work fine. really can't afford to upgrade at the moment. trying burning ideneb 10.5.7 but no successfully.

when i load using -v these two line was in yellow

"failed to loadd extension com.apple.drive.appleps2controller"

"failed to load extionsion com.apple.drive.appleps2keyboard"

then it say "still waiting for root device"

any ideas?

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R MOBO

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ

HD2600XT 512MB DDR3 Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB

SATA HDD

4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

I'm having a similar problem here, i built the above machine with a friend and successfully installed iAtkos 10.5.4, updated to 10.5.5.

Originally it was intended to just be a messing around machine to supplement my macbook. Well, it was so much faster and reliable enough that it ended up becoming my regular machine, despite my limited knowledge of how we actually got osx86 on there in the first place.

well, the other day my power went out, which had happened before and had been no big deal. my machine had always rebooted without any problems. but not this time.

i'm stuck at the gray apple screeen and when i boot in verbose mode, i get over and over:

diskOs2: I/0 error.

and then mixed in some of these other suspicious lines:

michael-kellys-mac-pro sandbox compilerd[18]: find computer pthread_cond_timedwait e=60 (operation timed out)

michael-kellys-mac-pro sandbox compilerd[18]: bootstrap_look_up_per_user failure (kr=49, duration=19.670606) unknown error code

family specific matching fails

BTCoexistence feature not supported!

a whole bunch of other stuff, and just now:

ACPI CPU Throttle loaded

ACPICPUThrottle: Adding CPUO

ACPICPUThrottle: Failed with code -536870212

that repeats four times before this:

ACPICPUThrottle: No valid CPUs returned by ACPI! It's Possible your BIOS does not think your system should be throttled and therefore did not return any available power states, or maybe your CPU only supports one other power state than maximum

there's more, but i'm not sure how to capture it. like i said, i'm pretty novice at the under the hood stuff, because of all your hard work i've been able to enjoy my hackintosh for over 7 months without any issues, and of course i make regular back ups knowing that issues can always pop up, but i have some important data on the machine that is not backed up anywhere from the past week or so. my friend that helped me in the first place is AWOL right now, i would really like to know if there's any way i can get into my machine to back up data on it before installing ideneb 10.5.7 that i downloaded last night.

i know you're not my personal hacking army, i was trying to learn to do this stuff on my own from my buddy. but this just happened to blow up in my face when he's unreachable AND i need to get my machine back online. Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Khan

I will try to boot with GUID first and den MBR if first one does not work. I was wondering as i read elsewhere if I boot GUID or MBR i will have to wipe out entire drive? caz i am trying to run mac os on one partition and keep windows 7 on other so is it still possible to format GUID and MBR? and how exactly shall i go about doing it?

@ duce1nik, I know U wanted to do some iPhone dev... but I'm not sure your computer (or I) can go there. I have no experience with installing onto VIA chipsets. You might try some searches, see if there is a VIA expert around.

@ dallapozza, sounds like U have some hard drive problems. I suppose there is critical data on the hard drive and there isn't a backup? You can try booting from your DVD, going into the disk utilities, and try the repair disk and repair permissions. Power failures can be nasty buggers.

@ nil911, when you change partition maps the whole hard drive gets wiped out. :D Windows 7 will run on a MBR or a GUID partition map, hacked OS X will also run on MBR or GUID, Retail OS X only runs on GUID. what are your chipset specs? are U using SATA or PATA?

@ dallapozza, sounds like U have some hard drive problems. I suppose there is critical data on the hard drive and there isn't a backup? You can try booting from your DVD, going into the disk utilities, and try the repair disk and repair permissions. Power failures can be nasty buggers.

thanks so much for the response, even though it's a {censored} problem, this is kind of reassuring because this is a problem i'm more comfortable with resolving.

but now i'm wondering, must i boot from the same install disk/distro that i used to install osx86 in the first place? or will a different distro or even a retail copy work?

or since i was planning on using ideneb to do a fresh install of 10.5.7, would it be a good idea to install on a different harddrive, then when the machine is running again, plug in the old drive and try to pull this new files i need to recover off it then?

if you have any ideas on the matter, i would sure appreciate your time.

@ dallapozza, If U have another hard drive that would be great, do a fresh clean install then transfer files from bad HD account.

If you want to try a repair, boot from any distro disk (not retail, U have to use a grub-dfe/boot123 disk to do retail).

Khan

@ Reefa, I hope this helps.

ACPIFix.zip

@ dallapozza, If U have another hard drive that would be great, do a fresh clean install then transfer files from bad HD account.

If you want to try a repair, boot from any distro disk (not retail, U have to use a grub-dfe/boot123 disk to do retail).

Khan

thanks for the help, seriously.

this is what i ended up doing, i pulled the hdd and put it in an external enclosure, and am backing up to macbook as i type this.

when i have all the files i need, i'm gonna put back in my hack and try a repair from ideneb install dvd. if that works, then i'll do a complete backup (not just the vital data) so that i can migrate the machine over once updated to 10.5.7.

my machine worked great before the crash, hopefully it works as good with the new install.

Khan

Thank you i'll give it a go.

@ nil911, when you change partition maps the whole hard drive gets wiped out. :) Windows 7 will run on a MBR or a GUID partition map, hacked OS X will also run on MBR or GUID, Retail OS X only runs on GUID. what are your chipset specs? are U using SATA or PATA?

Hey Khan,

Here is my computer specs:

Chipset:ATI Xpress 200(RS480)

Southbridge:ATI SB600

LPCIO: NS PC87591

Processor:

name: AMD turion 64 X2 Movile TL-56, Trinidad, INstructions: MMX+, 3DNow!+, SSe, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1501

Hard Drive: THoshiba 400 GB sata drive