Leopard 10.5.7 Vanilla Installation on EVGA X58 SLI [GUIDE/TUTORIAL]

96 posts in this topic

Ok so I've been able to get pass the freeze in Darwin, but right when it is supposed to boot into the installer, I lose video signal....I do not know what to do. I've tried the -x flag with no help and even tried a VGA cable instead but it doesn't work either. I've also switch to Snow Leopard....what do I do.... I really believe that my GTX 260 is the cause of the problem....I can't seem to get into the OS X install environment but the drive isn't reading anymore (read light) which it usually does stop upon arrival at the language selection screen. Anyone able to offer me any help on what kexts or injectors or plist or whatever I need? It looks like an EFI string would work, but I don't see a way of getting my device address without being able to boot into it. Help me please!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to keep this short and simple. I've got the x58 classified from evga, and with your guide and the iATKOS v7 got 10.5.8 (after updating) up and running PERFECTLY. Sound, network, video (evga GTX 260 core 216), everything is great.

Thank you for this guide, it probably saved me days of screwing around with it.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going to keep this short and simple. I've got the x58 classified from evga, and with your guide and the iATKOS v7 got 10.5.8 (after updating) up and running PERFECTLY. Sound, network, video (evga GTX 260 core 216), everything is great.

Thank you for this guide, it probably saved me days of screwing around with it.

Sleep?

• 4 weeks later...

I finished the tutorial, and successfully got it to boot on my x58 classified, however after installing the first video driver provided I can't get it to boot. After the apple logo before any logon screen it just stays blank. Can't find a way to get it to boot, not even in safe mode. Any way to get it to boot and then uninstall the driver that gives a blank screen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi.

I'm trying to get the kalyway part of this done. But each time I try to install it hangs at about 6 minutes. :(

I have set the bios AHCI setting. Then I go on to install kalyway onto a 40 gig partition of a empty 500 gig disk, but it hangs with 5 or 6 minutes left. I have usually selected nothing out of the customize option, but tried a couple of nvidia checkboxes with no luck.

HW is:

i7 920

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR MB

EVGA GTX 260

6 gigs of OCX memory

500 gig SATA drive

DVD SATA drive

(Eventually gskill 128 falcon II to install snow leopard on, but that's way down the road.)

Not too sure what to try next.

OK, I've found I have "package validation" errors on the install (javatools, another package I can't remember). So far from googling it looks like I might need to try to reburn the kalyway iso at a lower speed. I've done it at 1x speed and we'll see if that helps. The md5 matches, so the iso should be fine and I'm hoping a new disk will do the trick.

OK, I've found I have "package validation" errors on the install (javatools, another package I can't remember). So far from googling it looks like I might need to try to reburn the kalyway iso at a lower speed. I've done it at 1x speed and we'll see if that helps. The md5 matches, so the iso should be fine and I'm hoping a new disk will do the trick.

I had to give up on this. Probably needed to try another dvd drive. Instead I took the easy route and installed from my macbook, which is what I should have probably done in the first place.

Used this guide to successfully install on my EVGA X58 3x SLI. Has worked wonderfully for a few months now. I have USB Audio, so the update to 10.5.8 hasn't caused me any stress at all. I do have one interesting problem though:

I use a VanTec NexStar External Hard Drive dock with eSATA and a Seagate 250GB HDD formatted FAT32 (formatted in Leopard) to swap large files between my Windows 7 and OSX environments.

Firstly, I can't "hot plug" the dock/drive under OSX. It simply never shows up, though it works in Windows. I can, however, hot plug USB drives just fine.

Second, whenever I boot to OSX with the drive already plugged in, and powered up, it shows up fine and works great for a few minutes before OSX freezes hard. As in, No mouse, No keyboard and everything on screen ceases to move that was previously moving (I.E. video, progress bars, etc.)

Without that drive powered up, the system is rock-solid stable. I'm pretty new to this scene, so please, if you have something helpful to say, assume you're explaining it to someone dumber than you. Thanks everyone and thanks to Ihavearedcouch for the guide!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've downloaded all the files and burnt the CD. Sadly, when I try to boot from my dvd drive, I get the following error:

"System config file ‘/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found"

My bios settings are the same as posted in .rtf file. The problem is, when I have my DVD drive in AHCI + IDE, it doesn't work / show up in device manager. I have to change the settings to IDE in order for the DVD drive to be seen by the system. I've tried both ways (AHCI and IDE) with no luck. Any suggestions on fixing this?

Specs:

Core i7 920

Intel 80 GB SSD

Optical: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LS30 ATA Device (LG DVD Burner)

12 GB ddr3 ram

Nvidia GTX 295

To preface, I am a single Dad, 2 kids and my own business that I want use OSx with for video editing. So I'm not lazy but my reading time is down to a minimum, lol.

I have the EVGA X58 Classified E760

Intel Core i7 920, Revision D0, OC'd in bios to 3.8ghz

12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 738MHz 8-8-8-24

GeForce 8800 GTX

AMCC 9650SE-4LPML SATA II Raid Card, 3TB Raid 5

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LS30 ATA Device

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A

wireless keyboard and mouse.

1st question I have is would it be better to use the Kalyway or the retail OSx snow leopard disc? I have access to both and even though you mention Kalyway I thought you might have an update on this opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

ok maybe its just me, but im not having any luck, the only luck i get is when i install the ideneb leo and thats about as far as it goes i've used the pc efi loader which shows that the osx86 is installed on the machine and when i try to load it, it just restarts, i've used the ihack installer and nothing, even the boot-132 which don't get me to the install screen on any version i've tried, im using an evga x58 sli le board with the intel i7 920. im not sure where im going wrong can you possibly help me out here.

@snatchmo,

Do you have access to a Mac? The reason I ask is because then you can do a really vanilla install if you have a Snow Leopard disc. And you never mention what version of Chameleon your running AKA "pc efi".

List what you have:

1. DSDT.aml

2 .com.apple.boot.plist

3. smbios.plist

4. Extra/Extensions what kexts are in this folder?

5. What Graphics card do you have?

6. How many HDD do you have and will you be running Windows7?

7. Whats your HDD currently format "GUID Partition Table" or "MDR"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I never got that far. My audio didn't work so I just went with a USB option, the TASCAM US-122mkII. Works great.

If anyone has questions about my setup you will have to PM me because I haven't had time to check this forum out to much lately.

I followed this guide pretty much:

http://osx86.net/f57/guide-evga-x58-snow-l...d-10-6-2-t3854/

and I used the following for some references:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...q5ffd1j5emm0rqe

and this:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...&thread=509

and this:

http://www.kexts.com/view/91-efi_studio..html

• 2 months later...

Recently gave iATKOS s3 v2 a try and all installed well, however my system hangs at

acpi_smc_platformplugin: :start - waitforservice(resourcematching(appleintelcpupowermanagement) timed out

EVGA X58

i7 930

Corsair Dominatore DDR3 1600

x2 74 GB Raptors

x2 GTX 260