• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

nfsx

nfsx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Much more elegant is to use carbon clone copy cloner ...

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Much more elegant is to use carbon clone copy cloner ...

I know what you mean, but it's one more thing to download, and I like using the utilities included with OS X when possible.

nfsx

nfsx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Correct i would like to thank you for this outstanding guide.Everything works OOTB however i am having sound and video problems.Sound only works after i install the drivers after the installing has completed.The video part is giving me headaches becouse i get a distorted screen if i dont use -v -x.
Is it possible to use VESA drivers?If so how...

ASUS P5KC
4 GB DDR 2
ATI 3870 PCI-E
Atasinic L1 ethernet
Al883

- A tip wich cost me almost 1 hour,install the all the .kexts with osx86 tools from your chameleon.

And yes 10.5.7 update went flawless. :angel:

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Correct i would like to thank you for this outstanding guide.Everything works OOTB however i am having sound and video problems.Sound only works after i install the drivers after the installing has completed.The video part is giving me headaches becouse i get a distorted screen if i dont use -v -x.
Is it possible to use VESA drivers?If so how...

ASUS P5KC
4 GB DDR 2
ATI 3870 PCI-E
Atasinic L1 ethernet
Al883

- A tip wich cost me almost 1 hour,install the all the .kexts with osx86 tools from your chameleon.

And yes 10.5.7 update went flawless. ;)

Glad you like the guide. I don't have any experience with your motherboard, but for my D975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2), I couldn't get the sound drivers to be loaded by Chameleon. I need to use STAC9274D.v7, and I installed it the same way as OSx86Tools would do it. After the 10.5.7 update I had to re-install the sound drivers, but it's very quick, and doesn't bother me when the machine boots fine after the update. I don't know for sure why Chameleon can load some drivers and not others, but I've read it may be related to the dependencies between drivers, and drivers not being loaded when the dependencies can't be met. Fortunately, Chameleon does load all the drivers necessary for booting to work (at least for me.)

For graphics, I have an Nvidia 9400 GT, and adding an EFI device-properties string for it in com.apple.Boot.plist worked well. OSx86Tools makes it easy to generate the string, and it also let you include the Time Machine fix (under Ethernet Strings), using its ability to combine strings.

Maconvert

Maconvert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Programming, Kite Boarding
Hi Everyone,

It looks like my Intel 975XBX2KR (Bad Axe 2) mother board supports Firewire (IEEE 1394a).
Do you guys think it would be worth it for me to get myself a Firewire drive enclosure as a boot drive and, if so, would this be fast enough to actually run Leopard right off of the external drive?
I don't have a lot of experience with that.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Hi Everyone,

It looks like my Intel 975XBX2KR (Bad Axe 2) mother board supports Firewire (IEEE 1394a).
Do you guys think it would be worth it for me to get myself a Firewire drive enclosure as a boot drive and, if so, would this be fast enough to actually run Leopard right off of the external drive?
I don't have a lot of experience with that.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

Your motherboard has USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. You can use a PCI card to add Firewire 800, and use eSATA with a bracket and cable that plugs into one of the SATA connectors. Here are the relative speeds:

USB 1.1 15 Mbps
FireWire (1394a) 400 Mbps
USB 2.0 480 Mbps
FireWire 800 (1394b) 800 Mpbs
SATA 1.5 1.5 Gbps
SATA 3.0 3.0 Gbps

However, in practice, FireWire 400 is faster than USB 2.0 due to protocol differences. eSATA is essentially free, and allows the external drive to operate at the full speed of an internal drive, so that's what I'd recommend. Some enclosures with eSATA include the bracket you need to install in the computer.

As far as what's fast enough, that really depends on what you will be doing and what your expectations are. As you can see, USB 1.1 is very slow and would never work well for this, but all the others could be ok.

With eSATA it's best to keep the cable length short, due to the high data speeds. I'd recommend a cable no longer than necessary to put the drive on top of or right next to the computer.

canuda10

canuda10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the great tutorial.

I managed to install 10.5.6 wonderfully to my atom (intel 945gclf), but, after rebooting, booting from the usb stick, when the system is loaded and I should get the welcome screen, all I get is a grey screen, with a moveable mouse cursor.
I have tried to boot with -f, -x, -v all without success. I don't see any stange errors either.
The only kexts I have in Extra/Extensions are AppleDecrypt.kext and Disabler.kext, but as the installation works flawlessly I though that shoud be enough by the moment (perhaps no 3d, audio, etc, but that I can fix later).

Anyone has any idea?

Maconvert

Maconvert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Problems I've Seen So Far: Part 1

Overall, I'm really happy with my Hack Pro so far. I have had a couple of problems/incidents though and I thought I'd mention them in the hopes of finding a solution (or at least putting my mind at ease).

1) Kernel Panic

This has only happened once and I have no idea if it's Hackintosh related or caused by some bad software. It happened on Sunday and I had installed a Logitech G15 driver and some DIVX/XVID codecs on the Saturday. This is not necessarily a big deal because I've heard that they can and do happen on real Macs for no reason at all. I've got my fingers crossed that this is a freak occurence.

2) Hackintosh Would Not Shut Down

This morning I turned on my Hack Pro for about 1/2 hour to check my email and then clicked the Apple and selected shut down. On the screen the shut down seemed to be going ahead as normal (screen went dark). All of the LEDs on my Logitech G15 keyboard also turned off (as they should when the tower is not powered). However, the tower light LEDs remained on and you could faintly hear the machine's fans still running. So, it was definitely on. I then hit the tower's reset button, booted back into Leopard, waited for a minute, and then shut the computer down again. This time it powered down properly.

So, these are the only two issues that I've had with my new Hackintosh so far (besides not being able to recreate the 'usbboot' install drive and reinstall Leopard on another fresh hard drive). Again, I'm very pleased with it and I prefer using it instead of Windows (which I've barely touched for the last two weeks). However, I would like to start moving my "life" over to my Hack Pro and start using it for serious work (doing embedded programming in XP in a VMWare virtual machine), so it would be good to know if these issues I've had are rare (and nothing to worry about) or if this could be a sign of things to come. Regardless, I do plan to back everything up and keep my Windows XP/Vista on a removable drive, just in case. I just don't want to get half way through an important project for a client and then have my Hackintosh crash on me right before a deadline.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Maconvert

Maconvert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Problems I've Seen So Far: Part 2

Hi,

OK, I have two more issues (actually one observation and an issue that may in fact not be OSX86-related).

1) Can't Have USB Drives Connected At Boot

First, I got a bit freaked out yesterday when I turned my Hackintosh on and was greeted to the message: NTLDR is missing. It turns out that the USB hard drive enclosure that I had left connected to my computer when I turned it off the night before contained a hard drive that had been used for Windows before and, since I still had my BIOS setup to boot from USB, my computer tried, unsuccessfully, to boot from that drive. I turned the drive off, restarted my computer, and everything worked fine. This morning when I turned on my Hackintosh I received another error, something with "BIOS" something-or-other in the title. This time it was because I left my iPod Shuffle plugged into the computer when I shut it down the night before. So, I've learned that, unless you go into the BIOS and disable USB booting, you can not have any USB drives connected to it when you turn it on.

2) Weird Video Problem After Displays Wake Up From Sleep

The other problem I had was with my displays. I have two HP w2007 widescreens connected through an Aten CS1784 KVM switch to my nVidia 8800GTX video card, and I have my system set up to turn on the screen saver after 15 minutes of inactivity and shut down the displays after 30 minutes. I turned on my Hackintosh this morning to quickly check my email and then I went for a run. When I got back I moved the mouse to wake up my machine and weird stuff started happening. First, both screens started to display what can best be described as colorful snowy noise in the bottom 60% to 80% band of my screens. Then, the right (secondary) screen stopped doing this and the left (primary) screen continued, but it also started to completely go black for about a second out of every 4 or 5 seconds. This didn't stop until I turned off that monitor and then turned it on again. After that it was fine and I proceeded to shut down my computer before going to work for the day. So, this could be caused by a number of things: OSX86 (affects just Hackintoshes), Leopard (Affects real Macs and Hackintoshes), the 8800GTX, the HP w2007 displays, the Aten CS1784 KVM switch, or any combination of these things. At this point I don't know. However, if there are others that have experienced this, please describe your setups. It likely has nothing to do with OSX86 at all, but it never happened before so I'm not sure. I've also added the Aten CS1784 KVM switch within the last few weeks as well, so unless I can repeat this problem, and then repeat it with the KVM switch removed, I can't be sure that it's not the culprit.

Anyway, if anybody has any comments or feedback about this, please let me know.

Cheers!

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts
I've made some minor updates for 10.5.8 and Chameleon RC2. There are no problems with 10.5.8. Chameleon keeps getting better. I included the GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn enabler options, which allowed to remove the device-string from com.apple.Boot.plist.

Gabriel Simes

Gabriel Simes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Nice tutorial!

Based on many topics I´ve read in the past few days I am thinking about doing a retail install (using voodoo kernel) on my AMD laptop.
The main thing is: my HD was partitioned using MBR and now I cannot reformat it as GUID. It´s out of question for me.
I know I can change the retail LEO dmg to make it work with MBR (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=116505)

So, since Chameleon 2.0 can be used for MBR partitions, and can be configured as it is for GUID, manually creating a small fat32 partition (to emulate the EFI partition used for GUID based installs) and using it for chameleon and the kexts needed for my hardware would give me the same benefits as using the EFI partition (almost no risk to use software update, to separate hackintosh from the macosx installation, etc)?
Are there any problems, disadvantages, risks, thecnicall barriers, etc that I can´t see right now?

Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Nice tutorial!

Based on many topics I´ve read in the past few days I am thinking about doing a retail install (using voodoo kernel) on my AMD laptop.
The main thing is: my HD was partitioned using MBR and now I cannot reformat it as GUID. It´s out of question for me.
I know I can change the retail LEO dmg to make it work with MBR (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=116505)

So, since Chameleon 2.0 can be used for MBR partitions, and can be configured as it is for GUID, manually creating a small fat32 partition (to emulate the EFI partition used for GUID based installs) and using it for chameleon and the kexts needed for my hardware would give me the same benefits as using the EFI partition (almost no risk to use software update, to separate hackintosh from the macosx installation, etc)?
Are there any problems, disadvantages, risks, thecnicall barriers, etc that I can´t see right now?

Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

That sounds like it will work, although OS X won't hide your small fat32 partition the way it will hide the EFI partition.

What make using GUID out of the question? You can have both MBR and GUID at the same time. After you've set up the GUID partitions, you can run a program called gptsync to create an MBR partition map which matches the first four GPT partitions (with the EFI partition counting as the first one.) Gptsync is part of the refit package, and is available for linux and OS X. For more information you can go to the sourceforge (.net) project page for refit.

Gabriel Simes

Gabriel Simes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Dougaa,

Thanks for your reply!
Wel, GUID is out of question for me because right now I can´t make any changes to my windows partition. Since I use it daily for professional activities, I dont want to take risks if I can do it in another way.

For me, seeing the small partition in explorer (winXP) or finder (os x) is not a big deal; I hope this is the only difference. And I guess it is since installing chameleon in the EFI partition or in this fat32 will separate the bootloader and extensions (kexts) files the same way. Am I wrong?

Well, I guess I will try it out and post the results latter.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

Gabriel Simes

Gabriel Simes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
No one to deny or confirm?
Can I press go and install it this way? Will the small fat32 partition give me all the benefits of using the EFI partition?

Thanks!

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

No one to deny or confirm?
Can I press go and install it this way? Will the small fat32 partition give me all the benefits of using the EFI partition?

Thanks!

I think it will work. Give it a try, and if something goes wrong we can probably figure out a solution.

Peter

Gabriel Simes

Gabriel Simes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Update:

I tried a mix of three methods but I don´t know why I´m stuck in the inicial screen (after the gray apple) with the cursor spinning but no action on my pendrive (the usb light flashes quick once in a while, but nothing happens after, no welcome screen, nothing).

What I did was to follow this tutorial with a slight modification: I changed the file OSInstall.mpkg according to this thread (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=116505) so Leopard could be installed in a MBR partition. Also I´m using mach_kernel.voodoo as the main kernel

I don´t know but I think maybe I´m not loading all the kexts I need to load. My machine is a Dell Vostro 1000 (amd turionx2 tl-50) with a Via sb400 chipset. I don´t know if I need to load any kexts for the usb to work properly.

Kexts I loaded onto the pendrive:

AppleViaATA.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext
System.kext (the one that comes with the voodoo kernel)

Does anyone know if I should load other kexts so Leopard retail install loads up right on my system?
Also, should I follow munky´s tutorial and edit the plist.info of all kexts to

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

???
I´m stuck in this one right now.
Hope you guys can help me here.
Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Update:

I tried a mix of three methods but I don´t know why I´m stuck in the inicial screen (after the gray apple) with the cursor spinning but no action on my pendrive (the usb light flashes quick once in a while, but nothing happens after, no welcome screen, nothing).

What I did was to follow this tutorial with a slight modification: I changed the file OSInstall.mpkg according to this thread (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=116505) so Leopard could be installed in a MBR partition. Also I´m using mach_kernel.voodoo as the main kernel

I don´t know but I think maybe I´m not loading all the kexts I need to load. My machine is a Dell Vostro 1000 (amd turionx2 tl-50) with a Via sb400 chipset. I don´t know if I need to load any kexts for the usb to work properly.

Kexts I loaded onto the pendrive:

AppleViaATA.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext
System.kext (the one that comes with the voodoo kernel)

Does anyone know if I should load other kexts so Leopard retail install loads up right on my system?
Also, should I follow munky´s tutorial and edit the plist.info of all kexts to

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

???
I´m stuck in this one right now.
Hope you guys can help me here.
Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

I don't know all the kexts you need for your machine, but everyone needs dsmos.kext or an equivalent to it. Also, most people need a kext to disable power management.

Gabriel Simes

Gabriel Simes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Good news!

After some kext problems I finally installed Leo 10.5.6 retail on my AMD laptop from a pendrive in a MBR partitioned HD. It works!

Problems I have now:
- Can´t make my trackpand and laptop keyboard (both ps2) work on leo 10.5.6. Have tried loading diferrent "solutions" (kexts) on /Extra/Extensions but none made the magic happen. USB works great.
- Chameleon doesn´t seem to be able to load my Windows XP from /dev/disk0s0. It loads Leo from /dev/disk0s4 great. No problems here.

After I find the answers to those questions I will post a step-by-step tutorial, and give credits to the sources of information.
Can you help me in this one again?

Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Good news!

After some kext problems I finally installed Leo 10.5.6 retail on my AMD laptop from a pendrive in a MBR partitioned HD. It works!

Problems I have now:
- Can´t make my trackpand and laptop keyboard (both ps2) work on leo 10.5.6. Have tried loading diferrent "solutions" (kexts) on /Extra/Extensions but none made the magic happen. USB works great.
- Chameleon doesn´t seem to be able to load my Windows XP from /dev/disk0s0. It loads Leo from /dev/disk0s4 great. No problems here.

After I find the answers to those questions I will post a step-by-step tutorial, and give credits to the sources of information.
Can you help me in this one again?

Thanks,
Gabriel Simões

Great news! Have you tried the VoodooPS2Controller kext? You can download that from the Chameleon home page.

Gabriel Simes

Gabriel Simes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Well,

I installed voodoo ps2 straight in my pendrive (copied the voodoops2contoller.kext to /Extra/Extensions), repaired permissions, runned kextcache again but I don`t know why my notebook`s keyboard and trackpad just dont work.
Ive tried many appleacpips2nub and appleps2controler.kext (direct in the pendrive) but got no results also.

Another thing that I don`t understand is why Chamemelon (loaded from the pendrive) can not boot my Windows XP. I see a blinking marker in white, but nothing happens. Keyboard stays responsive because crtl+alt+del reboots the machine.

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy