[Guide] USB Flash Drive-Based Chameleon / Retail Install

dougaa

75 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

It looks like my Intel 975XBX2KR (Bad Axe 2) mother board supports Firewire (IEEE 1394a).

Do you guys think it would be worth it for me to get myself a Firewire drive enclosure as a boot drive and, if so, would this be fast enough to actually run Leopard right off of the external drive?

I don't have a lot of experience with that.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

Your motherboard has USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. You can use a PCI card to add Firewire 800, and use eSATA with a bracket and cable that plugs into one of the SATA connectors. Here are the relative speeds:

USB 1.1 – 15 Mbps

FireWire (1394a) – 400 Mbps

USB 2.0 – 480 Mbps

FireWire 800 (1394b) – 800 Mpbs

SATA 1.5 – 1.5 Gbps

SATA 3.0 – 3.0 Gbps

However, in practice, FireWire 400 is faster than USB 2.0 due to protocol differences. eSATA is essentially free, and allows the external drive to operate at the full speed of an internal drive, so that's what I'd recommend. Some enclosures with eSATA include the bracket you need to install in the computer.

As far as what's fast enough, that really depends on what you will be doing and what your expectations are. As you can see, USB 1.1 is very slow and would never work well for this, but all the others could be ok.

With eSATA it's best to keep the cable length short, due to the high data speeds. I'd recommend a cable no longer than necessary to put the drive on top of or right next to the computer.

Thanks for the great tutorial.

I managed to install 10.5.6 wonderfully to my atom (intel 945gclf), but, after rebooting, booting from the usb stick, when the system is loaded and I should get the welcome screen, all I get is a grey screen, with a moveable mouse cursor.

I have tried to boot with -f, -x, -v all without success. I don't see any stange errors either.

The only kexts I have in Extra/Extensions are AppleDecrypt.kext and Disabler.kext, but as the installation works flawlessly I though that shoud be enough by the moment (perhaps no 3d, audio, etc, but that I can fix later).

Anyone has any idea?

Problems I've Seen So Far: Part 1

Overall, I'm really happy with my Hack Pro so far. I have had a couple of problems/incidents though and I thought I'd mention them in the hopes of finding a solution (or at least putting my mind at ease).

1) Kernel Panic

This has only happened once and I have no idea if it's Hackintosh related or caused by some bad software. It happened on Sunday and I had installed a Logitech G15 driver and some DIVX/XVID codecs on the Saturday. This is not necessarily a big deal because I've heard that they can and do happen on real Macs for no reason at all. I've got my fingers crossed that this is a freak occurence.

2) Hackintosh Would Not Shut Down

This morning I turned on my Hack Pro for about 1/2 hour to check my email and then clicked the Apple and selected shut down. On the screen the shut down seemed to be going ahead as normal (screen went dark). All of the LEDs on my Logitech G15 keyboard also turned off (as they should when the tower is not powered). However, the tower light LEDs remained on and you could faintly hear the machine's fans still running. So, it was definitely on. I then hit the tower's reset button, booted back into Leopard, waited for a minute, and then shut the computer down again. This time it powered down properly.

So, these are the only two issues that I've had with my new Hackintosh so far (besides not being able to recreate the 'usbboot' install drive and reinstall Leopard on another fresh hard drive). Again, I'm very pleased with it and I prefer using it instead of Windows (which I've barely touched for the last two weeks). However, I would like to start moving my "life" over to my Hack Pro and start using it for serious work (doing embedded programming in XP in a VMWare virtual machine), so it would be good to know if these issues I've had are rare (and nothing to worry about) or if this could be a sign of things to come. Regardless, I do plan to back everything up and keep my Windows XP/Vista on a removable drive, just in case. I just don't want to get half way through an important project for a client and then have my Hackintosh crash on me right before a deadline.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Problems I've Seen So Far: Part 2

Hi,

OK, I have two more issues (actually one observation and an issue that may in fact not be OSX86-related).

1) Can't Have USB Drives Connected At Boot

First, I got a bit freaked out yesterday when I turned my Hackintosh on and was greeted to the message: NTLDR is missing. It turns out that the USB hard drive enclosure that I had left connected to my computer when I turned it off the night before contained a hard drive that had been used for Windows before and, since I still had my BIOS setup to boot from USB, my computer tried, unsuccessfully, to boot from that drive. I turned the drive off, restarted my computer, and everything worked fine. This morning when I turned on my Hackintosh I received another error, something with "BIOS" something-or-other in the title. This time it was because I left my iPod Shuffle plugged into the computer when I shut it down the night before. So, I've learned that, unless you go into the BIOS and disable USB booting, you can not have any USB drives connected to it when you turn it on.

2) Weird Video Problem After Displays Wake Up From Sleep

The other problem I had was with my displays. I have two HP w2007 widescreens connected through an Aten CS1784 KVM switch to my nVidia 8800GTX video card, and I have my system set up to turn on the screen saver after 15 minutes of inactivity and shut down the displays after 30 minutes. I turned on my Hackintosh this morning to quickly check my email and then I went for a run. When I got back I moved the mouse to wake up my machine and weird stuff started happening. First, both screens started to display what can best be described as colorful snowy noise in the bottom 60% to 80% band of my screens. Then, the right (secondary) screen stopped doing this and the left (primary) screen continued, but it also started to completely go black for about a second out of every 4 or 5 seconds. This didn't stop until I turned off that monitor and then turned it on again. After that it was fine and I proceeded to shut down my computer before going to work for the day. So, this could be caused by a number of things: OSX86 (affects just Hackintoshes), Leopard (Affects real Macs and Hackintoshes), the 8800GTX, the HP w2007 displays, the Aten CS1784 KVM switch, or any combination of these things. At this point I don't know. However, if there are others that have experienced this, please describe your setups. It likely has nothing to do with OSX86 at all, but it never happened before so I'm not sure. I've also added the Aten CS1784 KVM switch within the last few weeks as well, so unless I can repeat this problem, and then repeat it with the KVM switch removed, I can't be sure that it's not the culprit.

Anyway, if anybody has any comments or feedback about this, please let me know.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I've made some minor updates for 10.5.8 and Chameleon RC2. There are no problems with 10.5.8. Chameleon keeps getting better. I included the GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn enabler options, which allowed to remove the device-string from com.apple.Boot.plist.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tutorial!

Based on many topics I´ve read in the past few days I am thinking about doing a retail install (using voodoo kernel) on my AMD laptop.

The main thing is: my HD was partitioned using MBR and now I cannot reformat it as GUID. It´s out of question for me.

I know I can change the retail LEO dmg to make it work with MBR (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116505)

So, since Chameleon 2.0 can be used for MBR partitions, and can be configured as it is for GUID, manually creating a small fat32 partition (to emulate the EFI partition used for GUID based installs) and using it for chameleon and the kexts needed for my hardware would give me the same benefits as using the EFI partition (almost no risk to use software update, to separate hackintosh from the macosx installation, etc)?

Are there any problems, disadvantages, risks, thecnicall barriers, etc that I can´t see right now?

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

Nice tutorial!

Based on many topics I´ve read in the past few days I am thinking about doing a retail install (using voodoo kernel) on my AMD laptop.

The main thing is: my HD was partitioned using MBR and now I cannot reformat it as GUID. It´s out of question for me.

I know I can change the retail LEO dmg to make it work with MBR (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116505)

So, since Chameleon 2.0 can be used for MBR partitions, and can be configured as it is for GUID, manually creating a small fat32 partition (to emulate the EFI partition used for GUID based installs) and using it for chameleon and the kexts needed for my hardware would give me the same benefits as using the EFI partition (almost no risk to use software update, to separate hackintosh from the macosx installation, etc)?

Are there any problems, disadvantages, risks, thecnicall barriers, etc that I can´t see right now?

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

That sounds like it will work, although OS X won't hide your small fat32 partition the way it will hide the EFI partition.

What make using GUID out of the question? You can have both MBR and GUID at the same time. After you've set up the GUID partitions, you can run a program called gptsync to create an MBR partition map which matches the first four GPT partitions (with the EFI partition counting as the first one.) Gptsync is part of the refit package, and is available for linux and OS X. For more information you can go to the sourceforge (.net) project page for refit.

Dougaa,

Thanks for your reply!

Wel, GUID is out of question for me because right now I can´t make any changes to my windows partition. Since I use it daily for professional activities, I dont want to take risks if I can do it in another way.

For me, seeing the small partition in explorer (winXP) or finder (os x) is not a big deal; I hope this is the only difference. And I guess it is since installing chameleon in the EFI partition or in this fat32 will separate the bootloader and extensions (kexts) files the same way. Am I wrong?

Well, I guess I will try it out and post the results latter.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

No one to deny or confirm?

Can I press go and install it this way? Will the small fat32 partition give me all the benefits of using the EFI partition?

Thanks!

I think it will work. Give it a try, and if something goes wrong we can probably figure out a solution.

Peter

Update:

I tried a mix of three methods but I don´t know why I´m stuck in the inicial screen (after the gray apple) with the cursor spinning but no action on my pendrive (the usb light flashes quick once in a while, but nothing happens after, no welcome screen, nothing).

What I did was to follow this tutorial with a slight modification: I changed the file OSInstall.mpkg according to this thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116505) so Leopard could be installed in a MBR partition. Also I´m using mach_kernel.voodoo as the main kernel

I don´t know but I think maybe I´m not loading all the kexts I need to load. My machine is a Dell Vostro 1000 (amd turionx2 tl-50) with a Via sb400 chipset. I don´t know if I need to load any kexts for the usb to work properly.

Kexts I loaded onto the pendrive:

AppleViaATA.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

System.kext (the one that comes with the voodoo kernel)

Does anyone know if I should load other kexts so Leopard retail install loads up right on my system?

Also, should I follow munky´s tutorial and edit the plist.info of all kexts to

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

???

I´m stuck in this one right now.

Hope you guys can help me here.

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

Update:

I tried a mix of three methods but I don´t know why I´m stuck in the inicial screen (after the gray apple) with the cursor spinning but no action on my pendrive (the usb light flashes quick once in a while, but nothing happens after, no welcome screen, nothing).

What I did was to follow this tutorial with a slight modification: I changed the file OSInstall.mpkg according to this thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116505) so Leopard could be installed in a MBR partition. Also I´m using mach_kernel.voodoo as the main kernel

I don´t know but I think maybe I´m not loading all the kexts I need to load. My machine is a Dell Vostro 1000 (amd turionx2 tl-50) with a Via sb400 chipset. I don´t know if I need to load any kexts for the usb to work properly.

Kexts I loaded onto the pendrive:

AppleViaATA.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

System.kext (the one that comes with the voodoo kernel)

Does anyone know if I should load other kexts so Leopard retail install loads up right on my system?

Also, should I follow munky´s tutorial and edit the plist.info of all kexts to

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

???

I´m stuck in this one right now.

Hope you guys can help me here.

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

I don't know all the kexts you need for your machine, but everyone needs dsmos.kext or an equivalent to it. Also, most people need a kext to disable power management.

Good news!

After some kext problems I finally installed Leo 10.5.6 retail on my AMD laptop from a pendrive in a MBR partitioned HD. It works!

Problems I have now:

- Can´t make my trackpand and laptop keyboard (both ps2) work on leo 10.5.6. Have tried loading diferrent "solutions" (kexts) on /Extra/Extensions but none made the magic happen. USB works great.

- Chameleon doesn´t seem to be able to load my Windows XP from /dev/disk0s0. It loads Leo from /dev/disk0s4 great. No problems here.

After I find the answers to those questions I will post a step-by-step tutorial, and give credits to the sources of information.

Can you help me in this one again?

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

Good news!

After some kext problems I finally installed Leo 10.5.6 retail on my AMD laptop from a pendrive in a MBR partitioned HD. It works!

Problems I have now:

- Can´t make my trackpand and laptop keyboard (both ps2) work on leo 10.5.6. Have tried loading diferrent "solutions" (kexts) on /Extra/Extensions but none made the magic happen. USB works great.

- Chameleon doesn´t seem to be able to load my Windows XP from /dev/disk0s0. It loads Leo from /dev/disk0s4 great. No problems here.

After I find the answers to those questions I will post a step-by-step tutorial, and give credits to the sources of information.

Can you help me in this one again?

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

Great news! Have you tried the VoodooPS2Controller kext? You can download that from the Chameleon home page.

Well,

I installed voodoo ps2 straight in my pendrive (copied the voodoops2contoller.kext to /Extra/Extensions), repaired permissions, runned kextcache again but I don`t know why my notebook`s keyboard and trackpad just dont work.

Ive tried many appleacpips2nub and appleps2controler.kext (direct in the pendrive) but got no results also.

Another thing that I don`t understand is why Chamemelon (loaded from the pendrive) can not boot my Windows XP. I see a blinking marker in white, but nothing happens. Keyboard stays responsive because crtl+alt+del reboots the machine.

Any ideas?

PS/2 working again!

Now I need to figure out why Chameleon does not wana boot my windows XP (first partition of the same HD charmeleon is installed).

Part 1: Win XP

Part 2: Extended

Part3: Chameleon

Part4: Leopard

Part5: NTFS Backup (logic)

.... the saga goes on...

Glad to hear you got PS/2 working. I haven't tried using Chameleon with Windows, but from what I've read it normally works. Do you still have some way to boot Windows? If so, how are you booting it? I'm wondering whether it's a Chameleon problem, or whether something got corrupted so that nothing can boot Windows now.

• 3 weeks later...
USB Flash Drive-Based Chameleon 2.0RC2 / Retail Install

This tutorial is for installing OS X Leopard 10.5.6 on a PC using a USB flash drive. The end result is a flash drive which can be used to boot your PC using Chameleon and do maintenance on OS X (eliminating the need for an extra OS X partition), and Chameleon and OS X installed on your hard drive. The flash drive offers several advantages over a DVD. It is easier to set up, boots much faster than a DVD, and makes it easy to try different kexts or other changes. At the time of this writing, the required 8GB USB flash drive costs less than $20.

These steps are based on my experience doing installs using an Intel D915GUX motherboard with a Pentium 530J processor, and also an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard (Bad Axe 2) with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor. I've tried to generalize what worked well for me into a tutorial. The information here comes from a variety of sources, but munky's tutorial at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330 was particularly helpful. I've concentrated on the steps to get an initial install of OS X running, even if some hardware, such as sound, may not work initially. These steps and Chameleon are compatible with using EFI, but setting up EFI is not covered.

While the retail DVD installs 10.5.6, this method works for 10.5.8. After installing 10.5.6, Software Update can be used to update to 10.5.8 without taking any special precautions (thanks to Chameleon).

Please let me know about any problems with this tutorial and I'll make updates as needed.

Change Log

2009-05-15: Minor updates for 10.5.8 and Chameleon RC2

2009-05-15: Added a note that this works for 10.5.7

2009-05-15: Added a note about hard drive installation with RAID

2009-05-09: Initial version

Requirements

* The BIOS in your motherboard must support booting from a USB drive

* Leopard 10.5.6 retail DVD

This may also work with the original 10.5.0 DVD, but I haven't tested that.

* An 8GB or larger USB drive which can be completely erased

I assume most people will use a flash drive, but any drive separate from the one you are installing on will work.

* Access to an existing installation of 10.5.6

Access is only needed long enough to get the USB drive set up.

Before starting you need to know what modifications are needed for OS X to run on your system. At a minimum, some number of kernel extensions (kexts) need to be replaced. You may also need a replacement kernel such as the excellent Voodoo kernel. Also, you may need to add device strings to com.apple.Boot.plist. If you already know what changes need to be made for your hardware this should go very smoothly. If not, do an initial install using one of the Leopard distributions. The distributions are a source of kexts and kernels, and by changing installer options you can determine what works best on your hardware. Also, the Leopard system you install using the distribution can be used to perform these steps. Once the flash drive is set up the distribution install can be replaced by the retail install.

Partition the USB Drive

These steps create a 512MB partition on the USB drive for Chameleon and any files needed to customize your OS X installation. They also create a 6.66 GB or larger partition for a copy of the OS X retail install DVD.

1. Connect the USB drive to the OS X machine. If a window comes up that says the disk is not readable, click on Ignore.

2. Open Disk Utility (under Utilities in the Finder's Go menu.) Locate the USB drive in the left section of the Disk Utility window and click (once) on the drive itself. Info about the drive should appear at the bottom of the window, and you can verify it's the correct drive. BE CAREFUL to select the correct drive, because the next steps will delete all the data on the drive you select.

3. Click on Partition to the top right and under Volume Scheme select 2 Partitions. Click on Options... at the bottom and select GUID Partition Table, then click on OK.

4. Click on the Untitled 1 partition, then set its name to usbboot, the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the size to .5 GB.

5. Click on the Untitled 2 partition and set its name to "OS X Install Image" and the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Its size should be the remaining space available on the drive. For my 8GB flash drive its size is 6.98 GB. Click on the usbboot partition again and verify its size is 512MB.

6. Click on Apply. A window will appear asking you to confirm partitioning the disk. Verify that it names the correct disk. Once again, BE CAREFUL. Then click on Partition. When the partitioning is complete, the new partitions, "usbboot" and "OS X Install Image", will appear on the desktop. Quit from Disk Utility.

7. For each partition on the USB drive, "usbboot" and "OS X Install Image", right click or control click on it and select Get Info. In the info window, if necessary expand Sharing & Permissions by clicking on the arrow on the left. Click on the lock at the bottom and enter your password to unlock it. Then uncheck the box that says "Ignore ownership on this volume" and close the info window.

Copy the Retail Image to the USB Drive

These steps copy the contents of the retail DVD to the USB drive partition. To save space, the Xcode Tools optional install is not copied. After OS X is installed, the original retail DVD can be used to install Xcode Tools. Also, the latest version of Xcode Tools can be downloaded from Apple after getting a free ADC membership.

8. At this point we need to switch to the command line using the Terminal application. Open Terminal (under Utilities in the Finder's Go menu.) Then enter:

sudo -s

and enter your password. This provides root privileges for commands.

9. Execute these commands to prepare for copying the retail DVD. They create a file where the "Xcode Tools" directory would be copied. The copy command we'll use won't replace a file with a directory, thus the file prevents the "Xcode Tools" directory from being copied, saving almost 1GB. Enter:

install -d "/Volumes/OS X Install Image/Optional Installs.localized"

touch "/Volumes/OS X Install Image/Optional Installs.localized/Xcode Tools"

This can be skipped if the USB drive is 9GB or larger.

10. Insert the retail DVD into your DVD drive. "Mac OS X Install DVD" should appear on the desktop. Then copy the contents of the DVD to the USB drive partition. Enter:

ditto -V "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" "/Volumes/OS X Install Image"

-V is just to show detailed progress information. That's useful, because this takes a long time.

Customize the Retail Image

Because Chameleon is being used, little or no customization of the retail image is normally needed. If you can't use the vanilla kernel, you'll need to add a replacement kernel to the retail image. For my P4 install I need to use the Voodoo kernel. For my Core 2 install the vanilla kernel works.

11. (If you need it.) Get the replacement kernel on the OS X machine, so you can access it in the Finder. It should be named something other than mach_kernel. For Voodoo, it's provided as the file mach_kernel.voodoo. In the Finder, drag the kernel file to "OS X Install Image", so that it's copied to the root of the image partition. Experienced people may want to make additional changes to the retail image at this point.

Add Additional Terminal Commands to the Retail Image

The OS X installation disk contains only a subset of all the Terminal commands included in a full install of OS X. This step makes all the commands available when Terminal is run from the installation disk, so it can more easily be used to setup or repair a hard disk installation. For example, this makes the "more", "emacs", and "vi" commands available. While the rest of these commands can be done from either an Intel or PowerPC machine running Leopard, these additional commands must be copied using an Intel OS X machine. While the additional commands can be very useful, they are not required for the other steps listed here.

12. Issue this command:

cp -npv /usr/bin/* /Volumes/"OS X Install Image"/usr/bin

This copies only the commands not already present.

Install Chameleon on the USB Drive

13. Download the current version of Chameleon from the Chameleon Boot Loader web site. Download the bin.tar.gz version. As I write this, the current file is Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640-bin.tar.gz. Double-click on the file to expand it and create a Chameleon folder. Back now in Terminal, make the Chameleon folder the current directory. Enter "cd" followed by a space, then drag the Chameleon folder to the Terminal window to paste the path, and press return. If this worked correctly, the "ls" command output will include "i386". Enter:

cd i386

to switch to the directory with the files to install.

14. Determine the device number for the USB drive. Issue the command "diskutil list". The output will show sections beginning with "/dev/diskX", and then the disk partitions. Determine what X is for the USB drive with the usbboot partition. The usbboot partition should be displayed with IDENTIFIER diskXs2, and diskXs3 should be "OS X Install Image". BE CAREFUL to identify the correct disk, because we will be writing to the disk MBR and the boot area of a partition.

15. Issue these command to install Chameleon in the MBR and the usbboot partition. Replace X by the number you determined. Enter:

fdisk -f boot0 -u /dev/rdiskX

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs2

cp -p boot boot0 boot1h /Volumes/usbboot

Fdisk will ask you to confirm that you want to write the MBR. Enter "y" after verifying X is correct. The boot0 and boot1h files are copied to /Volumes/usbboot not because they are needed now, but so it will be easy to set up a hard drive with Chameleon later.

16. (Thanks to munky.) Flag the first MBR partition on the USB drive as active This stage may not be necessary for some motherboards, but it's harmless in any case. Enter the fdisk command and then each line as shown:

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (NB: Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

f 1

w

q

At this point the USB drive is bootable and will run Chameleon, but customization is needed before it can boot OS X successfully.

Add Customizations for Chameleon to Load

These steps install the kernel extensions and com.apple.Boot.plist files needed for your hardware. If you added a replacement kernel in step 11, you should have a com.apple.Boot.plist file which specifies the name of the replacement kernel. For my P4 install, com.apple.Boot.plist contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string></string>
  </dict>
</plist>

17. Setup the Extra and Extensions folders. Enter:

install -d /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions

to create the folders. Using the Finder, copy the kernel extensions your hardware needs into the Extensions folder in usbboot/Extra. Copy com.apple.Boot.plist into usbboot/Extra. Authenticate to the Finder when asked to.

For people installing with one of my motherboards, for my D915GUX P4 install I used dsmos.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, and System.kext from Voodoo. For the D975XBX2 Core 2 install I used dsmos.kext, IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, and three kexts from the Chameleon Optional Extras folder: AHCIPortInjector.kext, ATAPortInjector.kext, and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

18. Set permissions. Enter:

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/usbboot/Extra

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/usbboot/Extra

19. Create the kernel extension cache. Enter:

kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions

chown root:wheel /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions.mkext

chmod 644 /Volumes/usbboot/Extra/Extensions.mkext

Warning messages are normal for the kextcache command.

Disconnect the USB Drive

20. Disconnect the USB drive from the machine used to set it up. Enter:

sync

and if the activity light on the USB drive indicates any activity, wait for it to stop. Then enter:

exit

and quit from Terminal. Drag the two partitions for the USB drive to the trash to eject them. When both no longer appear on the deskop, disconnect the USB drive. If the Finder says the volumes cannot be ejected because they are in use, provided you entered the sync command and waited for disk activity to stop, it's safe to remove the drive. The device removal error that is displayed can be ignored.

Boot the USB Drive and Install OS X

We're ready to boot the USB drive. With the USB drive connected to the PC, boot or reboot it and go into the BIOS settings. Make sure the BIOS is set to allow booting from USB drives, and that the USB drive comes before any hard drives in the boot order. Don't forget to save any changes. If you've carefully followed the above steps, the most likely reason the USB drive won't boot is the BIOS settings. Just getting the USB drive to boot should work even if it turns out there is a problem getting OS X to run.

21. Boot from the USB drive. The Chameleon boot screen should appear. It should have Apple icons for usbboot and OS X Install Image, and may have icons for partitions on hard drives in the machine. Use the left and right arrow keys to select OS X Install Image. To enable verbose boot messages, type -v, which should appear at the bottom left. Then press return. The install image should then boot. If this hangs or fails in some way, it's likely due to not having the correct kernel or kexts for your hardware.

22. Continue to the screen which says "Select a Destination", and select the hard drive or partition you want to use for OS X. Notice that there is an Options button which provides options you may want to use. Also, you can run Disk Utility at this time to partition the drive. To do that, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. If you partition a drive for OS X, be sure to select a GUID partition table as in step 3 above. When you quit from Disk Utility you will be back at Select a Destination, and any new partitions you created should be displayed.

23. The installation should proceed and take a while. At the end, you may get an "Install Failed" warning message due to not being able to set the startup disk. That can be ignored provided the reason given is setting the startup disk.

Finish the Installation

If you didn't need to make any changes to the retail disk image (step 11), and you always want to boot OS X using the USB drive, you're done! When booting just select the version of OS X you just installed on the Chameleon boot screen. After booting, the usbboot and OS X Install Image partitions can be ejected by dragging them to the trash.

If you did make changes to the retail disk image, continue with the next step. Otherwise, skip to step 26.

24. When the computer restarts after the install, once again boot from OS X Install Image. At the Welcome screen, select Terminal from Utilities. In Terminal you already have root privileges.

25. Make the same changes to the newly-installed OS X as were made in step 11. To install the Voodoo kernel enter:

cp -p /mach_kernel.voodoo /Volumes/"xxx"

where xxx is the name of the partition you installed OS X on. Any files on the usbboot partition are available at /Volumes/usbboot. When you're finished making changes enter:

reboot

26. Now you can verify the new installation of OS X boots. After rebooting, on the Chameleon boot menu select the partition you installed OS X on. The newly-installed OS X should boot and run the interactive setup.

Install Chameleon on the Hard Drive

WARNING: The directions that follow assume a dedicated hard drive for OS X without any other operating systems. Also, BE VERY CAREFUL if there are any hard drives in the PC with data which needs to be preserved. You should have backups, and not follow these directions unless you are sure you understand the significance of each step.

These directions are not for RAID installs. However, Chameleon will work with RAID. That's documented under "RAID Install" in the README file found in the Chameleon doc folder.

27. Restart and select OS X Install Image in the Chameleon boot menu. At the Welcome screen, select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

28. Chameleon will be installed in the EFI partition that Disk Utility creates when there is a GUID partition table. Similarly to step 14, determine the device number for the hard drive which Chameleon will be installed on. Use "diskutil list" and find the drive number for the drive which contains the partition you installed OS X on.

29. The EFI partition must be changed from FAT32 to HFS+ format. Reformat the EFI partition: be CERTAIN you determined the correct device number, then enter:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1

where X is the device number. Mount the partition. Enter:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

30. Issue these command to install Chameleon in the MBR and the EFI partition. Replace X by the number you determined:

cd /Volumes/usbboot

fdisk -f boot0 -u /dev/rdiskX

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

ditto -V /Volumes/usbboot /Volumes/EFI

Fdisk will ask you to confirm that you want to write the MBR. Enter "y" after verifying X is correct.

31. As in step 16 flag the first MBR partition on the hard drive as active. Type the fdisk command and then each line as shown:

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (NB: Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

f 1

w

q

32. (Thanks to munky.) Enter this command to prevent the File System Events Daemon (fseventsd) from logging on the EFI partition, which can cause it to become unmountable:

touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

33. Unmount the EFI partition and delete the directory. Enter:

sync

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rmdir /Volumes/EFI

34. Done! Enter:

reboot

then once the system is rebooting remove the USB drive. If necessary, change the BIOS settings so the hard drive with Chameleon will boot first. Booting from the hard drive should result in the Chameleon boot menu, and you can select the partition containing OS X.

Set Chameleon Options

If desired, you can edit com.apple.Boot.plist to set various Chameleon options. The available options are listed in BootHelp.txt, which is in the Chameleon doc folder. I used the options to set the default partition in the boot menu, and also the graphics enabler and built-in Ethernet enabler. The enabler options are new in Chameleon RC2, and with those I no longer needed a device-string in com.apple.Boot.plist. Read Chameleon 2.0-RC2 is available with new features and less bugs on the Chameleon web site for more information about that.

35. In the newly-installed OS X, run Terminal and mount the EFI partition. Enter:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

36. For the default boot partition, edit com.apple.Boot.plist. Enter:

diskutil list

In the output from "diskutil list", find the identifier for the partition you want to be the default for booting. Edit /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (I used vi), and add the following key/string pair:

<key>Default Partition</key

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

where x and y are the first and second digits from the partition identifier. Add it making sure not to split up an existing key/string pair.

37. For the graphics and Ethernet enabler options, also in com.apple.Boot.plist. add:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

38. Unmount and remove the EFI volume. Enter:

umount /Volumes/EFI

rmdir /Volumes/EFI

When you reboot, the partition you chose should be the one initially selected in the Chameleon boot menu.

Good luck!

How did you get your onboard sound working in Retail 10.5.6 ? I have tried every known method

and have failed at every attempt. Thanks

How did you get your onboard sound working in Retail 10.5.6 ? I have tried every known method

and have failed at every attempt. Thanks

Probably best to not quote the entire tutorial when you reply :D

I assume you're asking about audio for the Bad Axe 2 motherboard. I used STAC9274D.v7 from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130380. I couldn't get that to work with Chameleon with kexts in the Extra folder. I had to add HDAEnabler.kext and replace AppleHDA.kext in the installed system. Fortunately, since it's just audio, if it breaks after an update (it usually does) the system still boots and runs fine otherwise until you re-install it.

I'm attaching a script I wrote to install STAC9274D.v7. The script assumes the current directory contains the script itself and the unzipped STAC9274D.v7 folder. You could also do the installation with OSx86Tools.

install_audio.pl.zip

• 2 weeks later...

SigmaTel_STAC9227.txt

Probably best to not quote the entire tutorial when you reply :thumbsup_anim:

I assume you're asking about audio for the Bad Axe 2 motherboard. I used STAC9274D.v7 from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130380. I couldn't get that to work with Chameleon with kexts in the Extra folder. I had to add HDAEnabler.kext and replace AppleHDA.kext in the installed system. Fortunately, since it's just audio, if it breaks after an update (it usually does) the system still boots and runs fine otherwise until you re-install it.

I'm attaching a script I wrote to install STAC9274D.v7. The script assumes the current directory contains the script itself and the unzipped STAC9274D.v7 folder. You could also do the installation with OSx86Tools.

Oh yes of course, sorry about that , I could see how that would flood the topic, and thanks for responding so quickly :thumbsup_anim: There is however i beleive a slight difference in my Bad Axe 2 the model is S975XBX2 but still has the same sound card from what I can tell from my research, perhaps not noticable changes that I can tell since I don't have KLR or KR or even 975xBx2 can you confirm this , I can provide you with what ever you need, codec dump etc, match 100% with Turugas patcher for 975xbx2 Thanks, will try this method and get back to you :hysterical:

I have done as instructed installed using your script, repaired permissions and rebooted

still no sound, however it show this in About this for the sound

Audio built in

Device ID 0x80860420

Audio ID 4

Available Devices ( Is blank and shows no devices )

Any ideas ?

Thanks

PS here is my Codec dump for the S975XBX2

SigmaTel_STAC9227.txt

I think the problem is that we have different codecs in our motherboards. Your dump shows an STAC9227, but my motherboard has an STAC9274D. I've attached the dump for that. The kext is for STAC9274D, so it's not too surprising it won't work for STAC9227. Perhaps you could get some help in the thread I referenced for the STAC9274D kext.

I'm not sure how significant the audio info in System Profiler is. I've had sound working when System Profiler said no audio devices. However, in my current installation it shows this:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID:	0x80860419
 Audio ID:	4
 Available Devices:
 Line In:
 Connection:	1/8-Inch Jack
 External Microphone:
 Headphone:
 Line Out:
 S/P-DIF Out:
 Connection:	Optical

STAC9274D.txt

Thanks for your quick reply, on this matter, sound issue resolved, well somewhat, sound

is working now using STAC9227_0x83847618Installer.app by Turuga, sound output seems to work

Input and line out still testing, but no success so far with mic input atm. Sound works but has no

properties in Audio Built In.

I owe lot of thanks to dougaa for getting me on the right track to get sound working

though his methods did not work for me, he made some suguestions and in the end

sound is now working flawlessly, I don't have the reboot and loose sound as most do

so im thankful to that ;) . And finally thanks to all other person involved in this comunity

who has invested so much time into the OSx86 Projects.

I know there are alot more people that have this same board and had the sound issues that

i have, so I will post a full topic for this matter in a few days, when I have time to test

on another install using this method, to ensure the steps taken for success.

System is

S975XBX2

EVGA 8500 GT 512 PCI/E Full Q/E support - using NVKush.kext

Sound now working output only for the time being using the above Installer

Install was done with Retail Leo 10.5.6 From USB with Chameleon 2 and updated to 10.5.8 Via Apple updater

Everything worked out of the box, except sound

video worked fine on first boot, but to get Q/E working

I used a modified NVkush.kext

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dougaa,

Thanks a lot for this very accurate guide.

At first, I'm working on Mac Pro 1.1, Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and DVD is 10.6.

I've got a problem that I can't solve, I've followed your instructions :

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Done

Terminal results :

Begins with:

>>> Copying /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD

copying file ./.DS_Store ...

15364 bytes for ./.DS_Store

copying file ./.file ...

0 bytes for ./.file

copying file ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources ...

6947 bytes for ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources

copying symlink ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources ...

linked ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources

and around 32 000 lines later...:

copying file ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi ...

319152 bytes for ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

copying file ./usr/standalone/i386/Firmware.scap ...

15729264 bytes for ./usr/standalone/i386/Firmware.scap

copying symlink ./var ...

linked ./var

bash-3.2#

I can't see any error messages

and "OS X Install Image" is still empty with 7,14 Go available, only some hidden folders are on both partitions (usbboot and OS X Install Image) .fseventsd, .Spotlight-V100, .Trashes

I repeated all points from 1 to 10 three times with the same result.

I get the following through terminal:

post-51103-1255767075_thumb.jpg

What is strange is that Finder shows the partition name as "OS X Install Image" but at the window top shows "OS X Install Image 1"

post-51103-1255767499_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

lion,

Edit: I found that on the System Disk there is a directory "Volumes/OS X Install Image", and all files are inside ...

I remember now, first try I made a mistake with the partition name on USB key, instead of "OS X Install Image" I wrote "OSX Install Image", and execute all points up to 10, when I came back there wasn't any error ... because the first command "install -d "/Volumes/OS X Install Image/Optional Installs.localized"" didn't find the directory so IMHO created it.

I'm trying once more... sorry

lion,

Edit: I found that on the System Disk there is a directory "Volumes/OS X Install Image", and all files are inside ...

I remember now, first try I made a mistake with the partition name on USB key, instead of "OS X Install Image" I wrote "OSX Install Image", and execute all points up to 10, when I came back there wasn't any error ... because the first command "install -d "/Volumes/OS X Install Image/Optional Installs.localized"" didn't find the directory so IMHO created it.

I'm trying once more... sorry

lion,

That would explain it. OS X adds the 1 to the name because it has to do that to make the name unique.

I haven't updated the tutorial for Snow Leopard yet. The same general procedure should work, but some details may change. For Snow Leopard, step 9 wont' work, but you can skip it because Snow Leopard is smaller than Leopard. But in order to free up some space, after step 10, delete Xcode.mpkg in Optional Installs on the USB drive.

I think for the kextcache command to work for Snow Leopard, you have to run it from a machine running Snow Leopard, which for most people would require using a real Intel Mac, unless you know how to run it in single user mode at boot time.