HP Laptop 8510w Driver Installer Package for OS X 10.5.6

Hex Hex

93 posts in this topic

Remy,

Hey Jorizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

Cool, glad it's working. I've got a way better version now (2.0-beta1) complete with MenuBar slider etc. I'll upload it to my site later tonight and post something in the forum.

Regarding shutdown, I suffer the same problem and nothing has solved it and that includes the various "shutdown/restart" drivers for 10.5 and also playing around with ACPI. The problem is also in 10.6 and I think it's something to do with the native OS X shutdown/halt binary, it's probably calling some funky Openfirmware routine which leaves ACPI/BIOS shutdown in an orphaned type state. Anyways, I'm thinking of hacking some stuff together to try and isolate the problem more.

Hex

Hex,

I really love your work with the 8510w!! I'm looking forward to the shutdown fix if you can find it. Good luck with the hacking spree. If you need someone to test your stuff, you know where to find me :)

Jorizzzzzzz

i am planning to buy one of those extended batteries, longer battery life is always a good thing.. 6-7 hours would be nice :blink:

wow, wireless switch works indeed! wifi was turned off in Windows 7 via the HP Wireless Manager; I switched it on, and now it works on OSX, too.. thanks for the tip!

something off-topic: do you have any advice for someone who want to learn OSX low level / driver programming? some books, or web pages, maybe? I was programming on Windows for several years now; OSX is completely new, therefore very exciting to me :) I am about to finish Hillegass's Cocoa book, and now I want to delve deeper into the system.. I have ordered Mac OSX Internals - A System Approach, already..

Sghctoma,

Mac OS X Internals is a great book. I recommend the C++ Bible too for driver C++ syntax but while coding you got to remember it's embedded C++. But by far the most useful resources so far have been...

1) Apples opensource Darwin repository - download it all and go exploring then setup Opengrok so you can hunt for related code across all whole collection

2) The Xcode documentation for IOKit when running Xcode on 10.5.x (need Mac Dev login for ADC with 10.6)

3) The source from Superhai and other hackintosh coders especially Superhai as his code is simple to read and a total work of art

4) Google

and probably most important of all...

5) Xode's "Jump to Definition" command as you get to see syntax and type requirements for unknown functions etc. and can keep drilling down til you get to a primary type or definition

Jorizzzzzz, thanks and I appreciate the offer!

Hex

thanks for the tips, Hex Hex!

I never acutally met embedded C++, but I think it won't be a problem, since I have 8 years of experience in the field of C++ :) Superhai's sources are already on my HDD, and I think I will love the fact, that Darwin sources are open..

oh, and I have installed XCode 3.1.3, too, that way I can access the docs on snow leo..

thanks for the tips, Hex Hex!

I never acutally met embedded C++, but I think it won't be a problem, since I have 8 years of experience in the field of C++ :) Superhai's sources are already on my HDD, and I think I will love the fact, that Darwin sources are open..

oh, and I have installed XCode 3.1.3, too, that way I can access the docs on snow leo..

In that case I'll stop responding to you as though your a noobie! ;) I'm sure Embedded C++ is Apples' pseudonym for "All the C++ love but no error handling if your an idiot and screw up"

Hex

I've solved the problem with IOATAFamily.kext causing Kernel Panics when booting 10.6. Grab this file from my HexHex file share:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dzjwmymgkid/...Hex_v2.kext.zip

You then need to:

1) cd to /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

2) Backup/delete or rename AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

3) Unzip the zip file in /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns as root (sudo etc)

4) touch /System/Library/Extensions

5) Reboot and your DVD and/or SSD or IDE drive will be working

The problem was during PATA (DVD drive) PCI device configuration with channel 1. When nothing is on the channel it would fail and do a "return false". The "return false" was causing the kernel panic which it shouldn't do which makes me think Apple has changed something in the kernel with 10.6. Anyways, bit of a hack but does the trick. My debug output from the driver will show up in the kernel log but I'll remove it once the 10.6 source is released as I recompiled the 10.5.6 driver for 10.6.

Any problems, PM me or look for me in IRC #hackintosh

PLEASE NOTE: It's only complied for i386 so won't work if your running 64bit OS X 10.6

Hex

Remy,

The HP 8510w doesn't use PhoenixBIOS, it uses a custom HP bios. PM me the vendor and device id for your Dell wifi card and also the year your laptop was made and I'll see if my hacked bios is suitable for your machine.

Greets, I figured that its not PhoenixBIOS, or that it had some wierd compression applied to it. But I gave up. Instead updated my DW 1390 SPROM, seemed safer and in case of failure, cheaper as well. So got my wifi recognized as Airport card. Works perfectly.

Tried the .6 version, but it seems to be really unstable for me. Crashed when I was tring to install NVkush, crashed when I was tring to upgrade to 10934. So, I'm back to Leopard now. Just reinstalled everything from Retail DVD. Installed Chameleon 2.0RC1 and added my SMBIOS.plist and DSDT.aml to Extra folder. Added AppleDecrytp.kext, ACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext to Extra folder as well and my Leopard is booting now. Slow as hell but booting. But I have difficulties copying your IOPCCardFamily.kext to Extra folder. I think it doesn't get loaded as the boot time doesn't improve. I have tried different things, like checking Root in plist file. Copying Vanilla IOPCIFamily.kext to Extra folder as well, not sure if it has any other dependencies. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions how to get your IOPCCardFamily.kext working from Extra folder?

Don't want to move on to Audio, Video before I get this boot time fixed. If you have any other hints for Chameleon 2.0 implementation (I think you fiddled around with it as well) would be welcome as well.

Remy,

Sorry to hear about your probs with 10.6 Mine is perfect and now is even more stable than 10.5.x to the point where it's my main OS for "the day job".

I don't use Extra Extensions... played around with it initially but it became a pain when booting between different version builds on different partitions. The whole dependency thing that your seeing with IOPCCardFamily.kext is a perfect example as you'll need to put a load of kext's in the Extra/Extensions directory for it to work and even then I think it'll be uglier than using /S*/L*/E*.

If you must use /Extra/Extensons then only use the simple driver with no dependencies such as dsmos, PS2nub, decrypt etc.

The only other option is to create a directory like "Extra/AdditionalExtensions" and create a mkext file of it with /S*/L*/E* and leave that in the Extra directory. The command is something like:

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/AdditionalExtensions /System/Library/Extensions

or if you've got an Extra Dir on each partition you could do:

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/AdditionalExtensions /System/Library/Extensions

That should solve your dependancy issue although I haven't tried it myself (Google).

Hex

Hej Hex

I have a HP8510w and want to install OXS. I tried various methods, and every time I screwed up lol. It's not irreverseble, but I just want a stable system because I need to go on a holiday for 1 week and edit video every day.

Do you think 10.5.6 is the best option, a retail install with your driverpackage? Or are you working on a new package and should I wait...

We are leaving in 2 weeks and I have another laptop that I use right now (the HP is a new one to be used in the future), so I can wait.

I have a HP8510w and want to install OXS. I tried various methods, and every time I screwed up lol. It's not irreverseble, but I just want a stable system because I need to go on a holiday for 1 week and edit video every day.

Do you think 10.5.6 is the best option, a retail install with your driverpackage? Or are you working on a new package and should I wait...

If you go through the thread you will notice that the results are different. For HexHex its 10.6 that is really stable, for me it didn't work out that well. The reasons for that can vary. But there is no quarantees in this business, you can only test it out yourself. In general Mac betas are absolutely different breed than M$, so you shouldn't be afraid of that. Question is how well it will work on your laptop.

My suspicion for my laptop is that I have 4GB of memory, but 1 DIMM (2GB) is 667 MHz and another is 800MHz. This might cause instability in snow as it has complete rewrite on resources. Another question is, do you need MBR, if you do then Leopard is more reliable. That was another reason I opted for Leopard. I had 5 partitions (200MB for EFI, 15GB for 10.5.6, 50GB for 10.6, 50GB for Windows XP and the rest for data). I did manage to get the XP and s..w Leopard to dual boot on GUID partitions but it had issues.

To cut the long story short, you have to test out yourself, if you need really stable system, replace your HP8510w to MacBook. Thats what Im planning to do anyway when my HP dies.

In that case I'll stop responding to you as though your a noobie! :) I'm sure Embedded C++ is Apples' pseudonym for "All the C++ love but no error handling if your an idiot and screw up"

Hex

yeah, I've started reading docs, and looks like only RTTI, exception handling, and STL are missing from Embedded C++.. I think I can live without them :)

well, I stop being off-topic, and ask something related to OSX on 8510w: how warm is your laptop? mine is way too warmer on OSX than on Windows 7.. when running on battery, the situation is much worse, because the fan is not spinning at all.. anybody else experiencing this problem?

one more thing: any success with booting a 64 bit kernel? mine won't boot, because dsmos.kext could not be loaded.. 

I think I just gonna go for 10.5.6 then.

Installing it now again.

And yes, I have seriously considered buying a macbook, but at my university I could buy the HP for only 600 euro's, including Vista Business, a backpack, keyboard, mouse, stand, and 5 years (!) warranty (they replace everything in one day or you get a new one with your hard disk if it takes longer...)

so that was kindoff a way better deal than buying a real macbook...considering my student-status with absolutely no money at all :)

If I'm rich I buy macbook, now I have to do it with this.... And MacOSX is a better choice for me because I am an industrial design student...

yeah, I've started reading docs, and looks like only RTTI, exception handling, and STL are missing from Embedded C++.. I think I can live without them :)

well, I stop being off-topic, and ask something related to OSX on 8510w: how warm is your laptop? mine is way too warmer on OSX than on Windows 7.. when running on battery, the situation is much worse, because the fan is not spinning at all.. anybody else experiencing this problem?

one more thing: any success with booting a 64 bit kernel? mine won't boot, because dsmos.kext could not be loaded..

Sghctoma,

I test booted into x64 but loads of stuff doesn't work (i.e. all i386 drives and apps) and you need to get a 64bit version of dsmos.kext etc. Go here , should be everything needed to at least boot.

I did have heat problems especially after sleep but solve it by edits to my DSDT. Are you using mine or your own? My temps are about 60 deg.cel normally and about 40 deg.cel after sleep but the downside is that the fan is always on. I haven't yet mastered how the fans and temps are configured in DSDT and would like to get to the point where everything sits at around 50 deg. cel as the noise is a little noisy and 60deg little too warm (but not too bad).

For those of you having problems with stability my advise is to be willing to spend time diagnosing your problems one by one. I know it sounds obvious but every problem can be solved given the right technique and willingness to dig deep (and maybe reboot a million times while debugging ;).

I had near perfect stability on 10.5.2, 10.5.4 10.5.6 and now 10.6 - doesn't mean everything runs perfectly but I know enough about my configuration to keep it stable and considering my 8510w is my primary work machine for 10-12 hours each day that ain't too bad for an unsupported OS. So in summary "work you problems" but keep a fallback/recovery plan up your sleeve for when you test something past breaking point. Personally I use SuperDuper and mirror my "working partition" to another partition whenever it's in a good reliable state before I try a new driver or tinker with the unknown.

Regards,

Hex

Hex Hex,

Thx, again! I know I need a 64 bit dsmos.kext, and the one I am using contains 64 bit code.. at least, file tells me that it contains:

/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext/Contents/MacOS/dsmos: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures<BR>/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext/Contents/MacOS/dsmos (for architecture i386):Mach-O object i386<BR>/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext/Contents/MacOS/dsmos (for architecture x86_64):Mach-O 64-bit kext bundle x86_64

btw, the boot log tells, that the symbols _OSRuntimeFinelizeCPP and _OSRuntimeInitializeCPP cannot be resolved, therefore dsmos cannot be loaded.. still trying to figure out, what those symbols are, and why they can't be resolved..

unfortunately, the links on the page you adviced are dead :(

I am using your DSDT, and my CPU temp is around 60deg.c, too.. but only when running on power adapter.. when running on battery, the fan completely stops, so the temp goes up to 75-80deg.c.. I think I will spend some time to poke around DSDT..

and finally some good news: with Slice's IOPCIFamily v2.6.1 sleep works on snow.. the first time I put the machine to sleep, it happens painfully slowly, but the subsequent sleeps are very quick..

For those of you having problems with stability my advise is to be willing to spend time diagnosing your problems one by one. I know it sounds obvious but every problem can be solved given the right technique and willingness to dig deep (and maybe reboot a million times while debugging :D.

I couldn't agree more. I think that during the last few months I have made more restarts than during past 10+ years. Right now I have 10.5.7 installed with Chameleon 2.0RC1 and your installation package (FULL install) + my custom SMBIOS.plist file. I checked different MacBook Pro laptop specs and found one that resembled my HP 8510w most. It as MacBookPro3,1. So took the values from that BIOS + added my custom settings (Memory, Bus speed, Serial etc). Processor speed is still 44GHz or something like that, haven't figured out why its not taking the value from my plist file, but I think there is some kind of SMBIOS injector involved.

But the system itself is really stable and Im trying to get the PCMCIA + SD card working now. Will let you know if I find something useful.

I have found one more small fix. Maybe some of you have noticed that you can't turn off your Bluetooth from top bar. It's grayed out. The reason for that is IOBluetoothFamily.kext>Contents>Plugins>BroadcomUSBBluetoothUCIController.kext>Info.plist does not have HP Bluetooth device information. So simply lets add this to plist file:

<key>HP Integrated Bluetooth 2.0</key>
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>com.apple.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
	<key>IOClass</key>
	<string>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
	<key>IOProviderClass</key>
	<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
	<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ClassicMustNotSeize</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>idProduct</key>
	<integer>5917</integer>
	<key>idVendor</key>
	<integer>1008</integer>
</dict>

I found it from here: http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-108855...-bluetooth-kext

Not sure if it helps with any other issues (sleep, shutdown, etc), but it will allow us to turn off the Bluetooth from the menu. Will look into PCMCIA now, I still have some issues with that and USB. Will let you know if I find anything.

Also I believe that its preferred to use AppleDecrypt.kext instead of dsmos.kext. Not sure how and if it helps, but I have seen in many places that its the prefferred method. Might be the legal issue. So if you have illegal copy of the Mac OS X, this might not differ.

Remy,

That Bluetooth plist fix works perfectly in 10.6, an excellent find and thanks!

For Sleep I tried the IOPCIFamily.kext from Slice (v2.6.1) but it does not work for me which is rather curious. Still the same old problem of screen powers-off but the CPU & USB are still powered on and a hard power-off is needed to reboot and get it alive again.

Thanks,

Hex

If anyone has MacBook Pro (Mid 2007) MacBookPro3,1 and could run a bunch of benchmarks, that would be nice. Preferred would be Mac OS X 10.5.7 with the BIOS MBP31.0070.B07

The best option would be CPU-Z under Windows XP (if you have bootcamp), but ioreg, dmesg, system_profiler and kextstat would help as well. Or if you have any other tool to extract as much system info as possible, that could help as well.

Just post them here or PM to me.

ok, it turned out, that the links on the site for the 64 bit dsmos weren't dead, I just couldn't reach them via browser.. i used wget, and was able to get them, so I was finally able to boot a 64 bit kernel.. yeah :rolleyes:   of course, it is unusable, because of the missing drivers..

ok, back to 32 bit.. i've found some strange things about sleep:

- if Disabler.kext is present, sleep won't work.. without it, it works like charm..

- if DSDT.aml is in the / directory, the fan is spinning at max RPM after a sleep.. however, if the DSDT.aml is in the /Extra directory of Chamaeleon, this does not happen.. i've tried several DSDT's and this happens with all of them..

I found the hardware dumps for MacBook Pro 3,1 - BTW this is very close match to HP 8510w. So hardcore DSDT and SSDT coding should fix most of the Sleep, Power and Shutdown issues. If anyone else wants to compare them, the dumps are located at http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ic=359&st=0

Will let you know when I make any improvement. I have general knowlidge about ACPI, so it should be fixable. Only issue is 500+ kb file size, which makes it quite time consuming.

Hi

Is there any change of a new driver package this week?

I am running 10.5.6 now very stable, but still no sleep and it only start when I have my Alu mackeyboard attached.....

So it is not ideal to have on a camping for 2 weeks...

grtz,

Edwin

Edwin,

I wasn't planning to update the 10.5.6 package as I'm solely working with 10.6 now as I feel it's more stable and generally a much better OS. With that said you should be able to resovle your keyboard and Sleep issues.

For keyboard, are you running the Voodoo PS2 driver? It's called VoodooPS2Controller.kext and also gives you a scrollable trackpad etc. With this driver you don't need the other PS2Nub drivers etc in my installer package.

For Sleep, have you installed Superhai's EHCIUSB driver? I think they may solve your sleep problem assuming your laptop tries to go to sleep but switches back on by itself after about 5 minutes and keyboard activity. In the system log it says something like "System Doze".

Hex

Hi

I have very little time to experiment. I have only one real issue that is in my way of 2 weeks of laptopping.

I have no wireless, but that is not yet solved by anyone..

I also have no battery indicator. And that's really annoying! How should I know how long I have left?

I can click on an empty spot in the right-top bar, and the battery menu opens, but there is no icon with a percentage...

Hi

I have very little time to experiment. I have only one real issue that is in my way of 2 weeks of laptopping.

I have no wireless, but that is not yet solved by anyone..

I also have no battery indicator. And that's really annoying! How should I know how long I have left?

I can click on an empty spot in the right-top bar, and the battery menu opens, but there is no icon with a percentage...

I just followed the instruction in the following post and I got the battery indicator to show and functioning properly.

PowerManagement.bundle

For wifi, I had a Linksys WUSB54GC adapter lying around and followed the instructions in the following thread to get it working on my 8510w

Linksys WUSB54GC adapter

Hope this helps you some.

Also, this is all done on 10.5.7. The only issues I've noticed so far are that the audio ports aren't functioning properly, sleep has some issues, i need to hold the power button when shutting down to completely power off, and I've had some problems getting the newest version of the backlight utility working. I think it may be something to with not removing the previous version before trying the newest one.