Dual Video card - ATI Only

Kuebeker

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

After spending more then 2 months on this site, 1 for choosing my hardware and 1 of dissecting all the OS X installation

hiccups I ended up getting 2 Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 Toxic card. and here I thought I was one smart cooky only to

find out today that ATI dual Video card does not work.

Am I ever pissed! I mean WTF!.. really! If there is no freaking way to get it to work how come after spending countless

hours reading ATI driver posts NOT ONCE DID I COME ACROSS THIS TOPIC! There are some SERIOUS loop holes on this site.

I think that after spending so many hours on this site I have the right to at least vent my frustration!

But I do recognize that on the flip side I would have never been able to make my hackingtosh work.

So before I restart my hardware search for dual nvidia sli cards for a triple monitor setup have this question.

Has any one out there ever tried using 2 official ATI Radeon HD 3870 Mac & PC Edition video cards for a triple monitor

setup successfully?

FYI I am not interested in mixing ATI and Nvidia cards yet. I wlll search then post the question in a new topic if needed.

Again as with my other posts ... Please keep your replies in line with the subject and do not reply stupidities just to up your

post counter cause thats lame and really annoying!

I will keep it simple and short...

SLI and crossfire do not work in osx... Dual cards like 2 Nvidia or ati that dont run sli/crossfire shoud work... I am not as sure in that point when it is ATI as i am with the nvidia...

But again sli and crossfire do not work in osx

and mixed ati and Nvidia dont work also... Only pure ati or pure nvidia when running dual

I will keep it simple and short...

SLI and crossfire do not work in osx... Dual cards like 2 Nvidia or ati that dont run sli/crossfire shoud work... I am not as sure in that point when it is ATI as i am with the nvidia...

But again sli and crossfire do not work in osx

and mixed ati and Nvidia dont work also... Only pure ati or pure nvidia when running dual

SLI/Crossfire drivers for Hackintosh actually are not available.

Two graphics cards Nvidia are working very well.

One Nvidia and One ATI: don't works.

Two ATI cards: I have not tried

Giorgio

I know that OS X does not yet support crossfire or SLI.

Apple is acting the same way as when there video cards where still PCI based while the rest of the evolved world had switched to AGP.

I guess I will start looking for Nvidia chip based cards.

The question has not yet been answered and is one that will determine if I really have to switch to Nivida.

Has any one out there ever tried using 2 official ATI Radeon HD 3870 Mac & PC Edition video cards for a triple monitor

setup successfully?

If 2 official ATI mac cards work then the obvious question will be: Can we flash the Mac rom on PC cards?

I read some where that it has already been attempted, without success. The PC rom chip can not hold the much larger MAC rom file.

The same was true with Nvidia but a genius cut out all the fat and got it to fit. So who knows!

Then again flashing has become useless for 90% of users since they only use 1 card that it works out of the box.

This will effectively slow down the development and maybe render it useless.