Leopard - SATA without AHCI mode

davidcmc

13 posts in this topic

Some mobos from Gigabyte only work with Leopard if you set SATA to AHCI MODE in BIOS.

I've tested here and it simply won't boot if I set AHCI MODE to DISABLED in BIOS.

I don't like AHCI MODE because it decreases a bit (only a bit) the HD performance and increases the boot time of my system.

Is there any way to boot Leopard without AHCI MODE?

Some mobos from Gigabyte only work with Leopard if you set SATA to AHCI MODE in BIOS.

I've tested here and it simply won't boot if I set AHCI MODE to DISABLED in BIOS.

I don't like AHCI MODE because it decreases a bit (only a bit) and increases the boot time of my system.

Is there any way to boot Leopard without AHCI MODE?

Not AFIK when AHCI is a BIOS mode......

Not AFIK when AHCI is a BIOS mode......

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you mean...

Let me explain:

Theres an option in the BIOS of my mobo called SATA AHCI that you can set to ENABLED or DISABLED.

Leopard only works here (and on a lot of other Gigabyte mobos) if I set to ENABLED.

Currently, I'm using Windows Vista on my system with SATA AHCI DISABLED.

I'm planning to install Leopard in some weeks but I don't want to have to enable AHCI.

So I ask (again): Can I install Leopard without AHCI mode? If so, how?

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you mean...

Let me explain:

Theres an option in the BIOS of my mobo called SATA AHCI that you can set to ENABLED or DISABLED.

Leopard only works here (and on a lot of other Gigabyte mobos) if I set to ENABLED.

Currently, I'm using Windows Vista on my system with SATA AHCI DISABLED.

I'm planning to install Leopard in some weeks but I don't want to have to enable AHCI.

So I ask (again): Can I install Leopard without AHCI mode? If so, how?

Since AHCI is the control specification for the SATA host controller, perhaps you can run Leopard without AHCI by ONLY using IDE HDDs and Optical drives.......

Since AHCI is the control specification for the SATA host controller, perhaps you can run Leopard without AHCI by ONLY using IDE HDDs and Optical drives.......

As I told you, Gigabyte mobos can run SATA HDs without AHCI mode. All you have to do is DISABLE AHCI MODE in BIOS.

If Windows can do that, Leopard must do that too. I think it's only a kext problem...

As I told you, Gigabyte mobos can run SATA HDs without AHCI mode. All you have to do is DISABLE AHCI MODE in BIOS.

If Windows can do that, Leopard must do that too. I think it's only a kext problem...

I am aware that the SATA host controller can run in legacy IDE mode, AHCI mode, or RAID mode......BUT OS X is not Windows.....

• 2 weeks later...
I am aware that the SATA host controller can run in legacy IDE mode, AHCI mode, or RAID mode......BUT OS X is not Windows.....

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is for some boards the right kext to boot in IDE, depends on the SATA Controller of your board

AppleVIAATA is another choice, NForce another,

AHCI works out of the box

( you need to inspect kexts, if the vendor+ID are listed with the proper numbers, ICH6,7,8,9,10 for Intel, dont know the other)

i prefer AHCI, because in IDE i had troubles with my SATA DVD Drive ( stopped working and blocked the controller, Apple uses an ATA DVD Drive afaik)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to add my voice.

I've also been looking for a solution to this problem. AHCI certainly does add a bit of time onto the boot process, and personally I feel like my harddrives are less responsive. I've got a 3.4GHz Quad Core processor it should *not* take more than one bounce to open an application (small applications like Adium etc). If I open one at a time, it will be ok, but I mean, I have to wait until almost NO HD activity at all.

Anyway, it may sound dumb, but I just want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of my HacPro.

Clearly this is possible as some distributions do not require you to change to AHCI mode, and yet can see and use the HDs just fine. Basically, gotta find that kext, but it would be nice if someone would just say "Oh, yes, it is the JMicronController" or w/e (thats just the first one that popped into my head).

The kext you need is the one the other poster told you, assuming it includes the corresponding device id for your board.

If you have problems when lots of disk activity occur that your computer becomes less responsive you have another troubles not caused by the AHCI driver because that should not cause any CPU usage spikes.

• 8 months later...
i boot it from IDE with sata HD, but it's works slowly ( leopard 10.5.6 retail).....

here : more test for this mobo http://osx86hard.com/read-htm-tid-119.html

I'm interessed for IDE too... because I have an aces aspire 5520 and that laptop cannot run sata HDD's in ahci mode...

I haven't found any modded BIOS or kext to run macOS on it can u help me how i can do?

I have with USB installed but when I insert the HD into the laptop it says "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE" many people has this problem too! :);):D

Hello,

i'm currently up and running my Snow Kitty (10.6.2) in Sata without AHCI mode. However only my HDD with Snow Leopard and my SATA DVD-Drive is detected by the OS. My other two HDDs aren't recognized. When switching back to AHCI, everything works as intended. When I first tried to get the System booting with IDE instead of AHCI, Mac OS X wouldn't start. I had to use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to get it working.

Any hint of how to get it working? My HDD with Snow Leopard is on Channel 3, my DVD-Drive on 2 and the other HDD on 0 and 1.

Any help would be appreciated :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

i'm currently up and running my Snow Kitty (10.6.2) in Sata without AHCI mode. However only my HDD with Snow Leopard and my SATA DVD-Drive is detected by the OS. My other two HDDs aren't recognized. When switching back to AHCI, everything works as intended. When I first tried to get the System booting with IDE instead of AHCI, Mac OS X wouldn't start. I had to use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to get it working.

Any hint of how to get it working? My HDD with Snow Leopard is on Channel 3, my DVD-Drive on 2 and the other HDD on 0 and 1.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Hello,

is it possible to install SL without AHCI?

thanks N!tr@m