Realtek ALC883 - Everything is OK

hypnotic

13 posts in this topic

Realtek ALC883 - Finally everything is working as it is supposed to be.

Dear Guys,

I have a Asus S96S Notebook with Realtek ALC883 sound chip 3 Ports / Digital on ICH8.

I know many of you is familiar with similar threads but there has been no driver worked completely well for me and this is why I am sharing my method with you.

I hope this would help some of you who could not get it all till now.

We are starting with installing of ALC883Audio pack in our system which is in ALC883Audio.zip archive.

According to your system you may pick 3 Ports / 3 Ports Digital / 6 Ports / 6 Ports Digital inside the Custom settings.

I chose 3 Ports Digital one since this is what my notebook's specification.

After reboot.

We are installing two kext files

AppleHDA.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

by using Kext Helper

You may find these two Kext Files and Kext Helper are in HDA.zip archive.

I have tried different combination of installations, extracting files from ALC883Audio Installer Pack and install kexts separately. But none of those attempts have been successful like this one. So this is important installing first ALC883Audio pack according to your system using it is own installer wizard. And after that installing of those two Kexts by Kext Helper are coming up.

What happend when I installed these two drivers standalone ?

SkippyRetard's pack made my speaker / headphone / digital out / microphone enable but could not give information in System Profiler.

coconup's kexts gave me only one output which is HDA Output. But he made AutoSwitching that I loved it so much!!! And some little information appeared in the System Profiler. But not complete like now.

So what now ?

I have complete choices of Output and Input in my Sound Preferences and All is working flawlessly!! Thank you SkippyRetard!

I have AutoSwitching option between Headphones and Internal Speaker!! Thank you coconup!

This autoswitching is working amazing, as you may see in the pictures I attached, when I plug my headphone it shows as Headphones and when I unplug my headphone ? This time it shows up as Internal Speakers. This is happening completely automatically. So there is no need anymore to go to sound preferences and change this option when you need to listen via heaphones after speakers or vice versa!!

I have all correct information in my System Profiler thanks to this combination way of installing these both excellent drivers!!

For those who may be interested in my sound dump file, I am attaching this one also here.

I really hope this helps someone out there.

You may try on your own risk.

Credit goes to :

skippyretard

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=36520&st=0

coconup

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...135212&st=0

Thank you both for your great work!

ALC883Audio.zip

HDA.zip

post-165412-1236774365_thumb.jpg

post-165412-1236774400_thumb.jpg

post-165412-1236774415_thumb.jpg

post-165412-1236774430_thumb.jpg

RealtekALC883Dump.zip

hey, you are welcome :). btw, that topic you posted is pretty old. I now use my own legacy drivers that work perfectly with the original 10.5.5 applehda (no luck with 10.5.6 so far). To use these kexts you must have an unmodified applehda.kext in /s/l/e and a bootloader that supports the /extra folder (eg. pc_efi v9). Then you should put them in /extra/extensions.mkext with all the other modified kexts you are using.

The problem with the kexts you posted was that the internal mic recorder very badly and it was almost useless... let me know

these are my latest drivers: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1020036

Hello coconup!

I have iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 , PC_EFI V9 . So I have /Extra/Extensions/ folder.

As you said in your recent thread, I did place original AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. And erased all other modified kexts from this folder.

And placed HDAEnabler.kext , LegacyHDAController.kext , LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext in my /Extra/Extensions/ folder.

But nothing happend, no sound now. Seems like a BIOS problem ??

if you want to use legacy kexts, you must place all your modified kexts in extra/extensions.mkext. you can pack them all together using mkexttool. here it is: MKextTool.zip

also, remember to install 10.5.5 applehda.kext in your s/l/e folder because my legacy kexts have problems with the 10.5.6 one. let me know ;)

ps: be careful not to put extesions.mkext in extra/extensions but just in the extra/ folder, and then delete you extra/extensions folder

Okay, I exactly did what you explained. But didn't work, I guess I miss something.

I placed those 3 kext files into Extensions.mkext file using MKextTool.

And located it into /Extra/Extensions.mkext

I am pretty sure PCEFI V9 is working fine.

By the way there is only AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/ the one from 10.5.5. you attached in your recent thread.

Should I place AppleAzalia.kext or ALCinject.kext into Extensions.mkext file ?

Because there is still no Audio available. And I did erase both kext files before.

And I think I need one of them ???

no you don't need them, do you have hdaenabler installed and running? if so, you should at least have the audio recognized in system profiler... also, do you have sound assertions while booting?

ps: just to be sure, if you are using extra/extensions.mkext instead of the extra/extensions folder you must put all your patched kexts in extensions.mkext and delete the extensions folder under the /extra one

What does go into /System/Library/Extensions/ folder other than original AppleHDA.kext ?

I don't have any kext related with sound in /System/Library/Extensions/ other than AppleHDA.kext ( the one you attached )

And I have only HDAEnabler.kext , LegacyHDAController.kext , LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext related with sound inside the Extensions.mkext that I used MKextTool for combining these kexts all in one :rolleyes: And I used i386 architecture when doing this.

And Extensions.mkext is located in straightly in /Extra/

Maybe I should erase Extensions folder entirely also because it is exist and some kext files are in it. Maybe conflicting ? I will try with another AppleHDA.kext also.

I got your point at least HDAEnabler should be working and give some info under System Profiler. I really don't know how to solve it now. Maaaybe there is a connection between HDAEnabler and AppleHDA and maaaybe I am using wrong one.

I will keep trying, and come back here. Thanks anyway so far.

alright, in your extra/ folder you have an extensions.mkext file and an extensions folder. now you should put all your kexts that are in the extra/extensions folder in extensions.mkext (with mkext tool) with the audio legacy kexts and hdaenabler, then put extensions.mkext in the extra folder and delete the extra/extensions folder, then let me know if the audio works :(

The Problem is solved !!

I think the issue was related with iAtkos 5i.

From I deleted the Extensions folder in location /Extra/ HDAEnabler and other kexts in Extensions.mkext started loading during boot.

It seems like it was unnecessary folder was staying there, and perhaps conflicting.

Now! All is fine one more time :(

Since my webcam doesn't work on MAC yet, I had no interest using and trying audio/video features. Maybe I had noise in my microphone with previous kexts and now it is all clear :( I dunno :))

Thank you for your great work ! :)

The Problem is solved !!

I think the issue was related with iAtkos 5i.

From I deleted the Extensions folder in location /Extra/ HDAEnabler and other kexts in Extensions.mkext started loading during boot.

It seems like it was unnecessary folder was staying there, and perhaps conflicting.

Now! All is fine one more time :)

Since my webcam doesn't work on MAC yet, I had no interest using and trying audio/video features. Maybe I had noise in my microphone with previous kexts and now it is all clear :) I dunno :))

Thank you for your great work ! :)

post-165412-1236858486_thumb.jpg

post-165412-1236858721_thumb.jpg

post-165412-1236858733_thumb.jpg

post-165412-1236858743_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Have just installed this on my Hackintosh - Ideneb 1.4, Gigabyte G31M-E2SL Motherboard.

Find that Speakers work when connected to rear ports, I am able to switch to headphones and Microphone when they are plugged in to front panel by using preferences panel - I have to internal microphone ports showing in sound input section (however sound panel does not say "Headphones" in output section). SPDIF out in my system is plugged in to Asus 9400GT video card for HDMI out. This does not work even though HDMI video does work - maybe due to video card?? Is there another option I could try - would like a Line In for Garage Band guitar - would it be OK to plug guitar in to microphone? Used 3 ports digital out when installing (this is what motherboard has - maybe worth a try as 6 ports digital out?? Sorry if this a bit noob like, but I've bee a windows user forever and am just getting to grips with this stuff.

cheers

Gary

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...