VMWare pcwiz 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 - some annoyances

48 posts in this topic

Months ago I downloaded the pcwiz 10.5.2 VM. It was super slow and unusable, plus I couldn't get networking to work no matter what.

Since VMWare upgraded their software to support OS X Server, I thought I'd try upgrading to 10.5.6. I know installing clean might work better, but I already had pcwiz's VM and I don't have a retail DVD. After much trial and error, here's what worked:

1. Changed IDE virtual disks to SCSI.

2. Changed virtualHW.version = "7", added ICH7m="TRUE".

3. Updated PC_EFI to v9.

4. Changed partition from MBR to GUID.

5. Mount darwin.iso and install VMWare Tools.

6. Installed 10.5.6 Combo Update and changed /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 file to use dsmos.kext.

7. In terminal, issue command: touch "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist"

8. Edit .vmx file to mount darwin.iso at startup, change GuestOS = "darwin-64".

After rebooting, all is well. 10.5.6 works fine, this VM is FAST! 1000x faster, boots fast, runs fast, network is autodetected, an amazing difference. No need for Disabler.kext or patched kernels, works fine with the vanilla kernel, but I have some problems/questions:

1. If I put my VMWare virtual disk (.vmdk file) on an external USB drive, while booting, the VM hangs after this message:

Mar 5 13:16:06 localhost kernel[0]: kmod_control/start failed for com.orByte.

Mar 5 13:16:06 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load extension com.orByte.

Mar 5 13:16:06 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 0.627 AppleUSBOHCI[0x27dd000]

It will usually say something about "Still waiting for boot device". It works fine if I move the exact same .vmdk file to my hard drive. It didn't do this before, it seems there is a USB conflict of some kind?

2. Mouse scroll wheel doesn't work.

3. darwin.iso disconnects so I get Operating System Not Found on reboots. Is there any way to make it so it doesn't disconnect, or no longer needs darwin.iso?

4. I hear there's a hacked darwin.iso out there, what does it do? Just eliminate the need to touch ServerVersion.plist?

5. VMWareIOFrameBuffer.kext doesn't load, but device and vendor IDs look fine in Info.plist.

6. I had tried to see if I could eliminate dsmos.kext, but it doesn't work. I assume VMWare isn't expecting legit OS X Server installs to use PC_EFI or dsmos.kext, how does a legit install work and is there any way I can eliminate PC_EFI and dsmos.kext?

How did you change the partition table from MBR to GUID?

There's not really any reason to do it, I just wanted to do it because GUID is what real Macs use and the newer PC_EFI v9 that I upgraded to can handle GUID.

The way I did it was I created a new virtual disk and using Disk Utility formatted it as GUID. Then I used the Disk Utility Restore function to copy the main drive to the new GUID drive. There was some kind of protocol error near the end that occurred, but I ignored it (not sure that was a good idea or not, but I had no problems). Then I ran the PC_EFI v9 installer on my new GUID drive, then shutdown. I then edited the .vmx file so the GUID drive is my bootup drive. It booted up and works fine.

So far the only answers to my questions that I was able to find is what the hacked darwin.iso is. It is what I thought it was. I downloaded one posted by Donk, but my OS X wouldn't boot with it, probably because it's too old. I then used instructions I found to hack the darwin.iso I was already using, and that worked. Now I don't have to worry about the ServerVersion.plist file.

There's not really any reason to do it, I just wanted to do it because GUID is what real Macs use and the newer PC_EFI v9 that I upgraded to can handle GUID.

The way I did it was I created a new virtual disk and using Disk Utility formatted it as GUID. Then I used the Disk Utility Restore function to copy the main drive to the new GUID drive. There was some kind of protocol error near the end that occurred, but I ignored it (not sure that was a good idea or not, but I had no problems). Then I ran the PC_EFI v9 installer on my new GUID drive, then shutdown. I then edited the .vmx file so the GUID drive is my bootup drive. It booted up and works fine.

So far the only answers to my questions that I was able to find is what the hacked darwin.iso is. It is what I thought it was. I downloaded one posted by Donk, but my OS X wouldn't boot with it, probably because it's too old. I then used instructions I found to hack the darwin.iso I was already using, and that worked. Now I don't have to worry about the ServerVersion.plist file.

GnatGoSpla,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on how you accomplish the update, right now tried a few different ways but cannot update from 10.5.2, get kernel panics, thanks in advance,

vmware image of pcwiz

Sam

GnatGoSpla,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on how you accomplish the update, right now tried a few different ways but cannot update from 10.5.2, get kernel panics, thanks in advance,

vmware image of pcwiz

Sam

To perform the update, I installed the 10.5.6 Combo Update and then had to sudo -s and change "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" in the install script to dsmos.kext. When it rebooted, I got a kernel panic too, so it was necessary to change some things to the following values:

virtualHW.version = "7"
guestOS = "darwin-64"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "c:\leopard.vmdk"
scsi0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
ich7m.present="TRUE"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "J:\Virtual Machines\Mac OS X Leopard\darwin.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:da:c4:98"
scsi0:0.redo = ""
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

Make sure you change the scsi0:0.fileName to point to your pcwiz .vmdk. The pcwiz image comes IDE and changing it to SCSI gives a warning, but I ignored that warning and had no problems whatsoever. Be sure to change the path to point to your copy of darwin.iso also, you'll need the hacked version unless you create ServerVersion.plist by issuing this command from Terminal:

touch "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist"

Having that file prevents some client-only programs from installing, so I prefer not to have that file and to use the hacked darwin.iso.

Anyway, once I made those changes, no more kernel panics and it boots fast and runs pretty fast on my 2.1GHz C2D.

BTW, if you are NOT using a supported CPU, then you'll probably need to mount this image and install the Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel. Usually I do that by booting an original pcwiz image that worked while mounting my modified .vmdk as a secondary drive on scsi0:1.

It's probably also a good idea to update to the latest PC_EFI v9 since I think the pcwiz image is using v5.1.

GnatGoSplat,

thanks so much for the help,

also something funny, took pieces off like floppy etc, thinking that would help, and that made the system crash, put them back and now things seems to be working,

again thanks,

Sam

GnatGoSplat,

Yup, everything seems to be working perfectly with update 10.5.6, mouse wheel working fine, also first time I get the mouse going in and out of virtual machine working (no need to direct input in or out-release) so it seems the vmware tools are doing something

running vmware worktation 6.5 and tried it in xp and vista as host, just wanted to have all major os running close by, love to tinker with stufff :)

sorry to hear about mouse, that can be very annoying

sam

did more test and the only thing I found that stop working correctly was the copy and paste shortcut with the keyboard, but copy and paste between host and different guest works fine, so I'm cool with that for now, mouse shortcuts work though

have you hear anything about quartz, that would be awesome but wishful thinking it seems for the moment

oh and check this out

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/driv...steermouse.html

sam

edit: I fix the issue with the shortcuts by using keyboard maestro, found out that the shortcuts were disabled, so that did the trick

did more test and the only thing I found that stop working correctly was the copy and paste shortcut with the keyboard, but copy and paste between host and different guest works fine, so I'm cool with that for now, mouse shortcuts work though

have you hear anything about quartz, that would be awesome but wishful thinking it seems for the moment

oh and check this out

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/driv...steermouse.html

sam

edit: I fix the issue with the shortcuts by using keyboard maestro, found out that the shortcuts were disabled, so that did the trick

Thanks for the link, but Steermouse doesn't fix it either. It doesn't seem to detect any button clicks at all, although it has a handy Analyze Device which does show left and right mouse clicks, but center wheel click and scroll wheel don't do anything at all. I think I may have a hardware/kext issue. Did you change any kexts at all after doing the 10.5.6 ComboUpdate?

Yeah, quartz would be great. I think if VMWareIOFrameBuffer.kext would load correctly, we could get quartz. The VEN and DEV ID's look fine, but I think that SVGA_CAP_TRACES_FAILED message during boot is the reason it doesn't load correctly.

On mine the keyboard copy & paste shortcuts are mapped to WindowsKey-C and WindowsKey-V by default, so I guess it thinks WindowsKey is the Command key.

Thanks for the link, but Steermouse doesn't fix it either. It doesn't seem to detect any button clicks at all, although it has a handy Analyze Device which does show left and right mouse clicks, but center wheel click and scroll wheel don't do anything at all. I think I may have a hardware/kext issue. Did you change any kexts at all after doing the 10.5.6 ComboUpdate?

Yeah, quartz would be great. I think if VMWareIOFrameBuffer.kext would load correctly, we could get quartz. The VEN and DEV ID's look fine, but I think that SVGA_CAP_TRACES_FAILED message during boot is the reason it doesn't load correctly.

On mine the keyboard copy & paste shortcuts are mapped to WindowsKey-C and WindowsKey-V by default, so I guess it thinks WindowsKey is the Command key.

nope didn't change kexts, but did remove the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext,

also tried the running virtual machine in linux, linux been the host, but it tells me that the os is not the server version and shuts it down, oh well you can't have it all

sam

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext didn't seem to change anything for me, I guess my mouse problem is elsewhere. :(

That message is usually caused by an unhacked Darwin.iso. You need either a hacked Darwin.iso OR if using original darwin.iso, you need ServerVersion.plist. Do you have one or the other?

I'm just running VMWare Player 2.5.1 build-126130. I do have the newest VMWare Workstation at home on a Windows 7 host and I THINK the mouse scrolling doesn't work on it either. Not really sure though because it's a Thinkpad laptop with the scroll button, but pressing that scroll button doesn't do anything. Possibly not an accurate test, I've never actually tried a real mouse on that one.

There's a link to it on PCwiz's website

You can either download 36 incremental parts (just don't try to unRAR it all at once if ANY of the files are under 95.8 MB [mine was; crashed my XP AND 7 virtual machine, as well as freezing Mac OS X], otherwise, it will freeze your system, force you to reboot, and then crash the host a few times [in my case, the host that I was unzipping it under was XP and Vista]), or you can torrent it from a Google keyword on the same site.

I copied that to a 8GB USB flash drive, installed Chameleon, and it works fine as a bootable drive. However, I hope that if I were to download 10.5.6, they might include a version of the AppleBCM5754.kext driver that I need for networking on a Dell Optiplex 745.

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext didn't seem to change anything for me, I guess my mouse problem is elsewhere. ;)

That message is usually caused by an unhacked Darwin.iso. You need either a hacked Darwin.iso OR if using original darwin.iso, you need ServerVersion.plist. Do you have one or the other?

I hacked the darwin.iso, I just tested it to make sure, both, unhacked and hacked, the problem is that the hacked doesn't want to work in linux as host, I don't have the serverversion.plist, as is not needed with the hack version, but maybe it could for for linux to have both hacked darwin.iso and that file,

but right now i'm fine with xp, on a side note tried the image that works great on vista, and the keyboard it not working correctly, will try to update everything from scracth on that unit to see if that helps, as the original file keyboard works ok

hrum,

first thing first, download "vmware pcwiz 10.5.2" type that and torrent and you will get a whole bunch of places to download it, that works out of the box, you don't need darwin.iso for that one, darwin.iso is needed when we update to 10.5.6

darwin.iso is part of fusion 2, the vmware's version for mac, but you need to hack it or use the serverversion.plist mention previously, google "hack darwin.iso leopard install fusion" that will let you know what you need to do, to hack the darwin.iso thus eliminating the need tp "touch"(command) serverversion.plist file

GnatGoSplat, thanks again for the help

sam

To perform the update, I installed the 10.5.6 Combo Update and then had to sudo -s and change "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" in the install script to dsmos.kext.

I mount MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.6.dmg and then double click on MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.6.pkg to start installer which causes the system to crash during install. Do you extract the pkg and modify the kext in there before installing or after?

[EDIT] Do I need to edit the pkg with Pacifist first? I am not familiar with this procedure.

Sorry, I forgot to mention if you run the ComboUpdate BEFORE changing GuestOS type to darwin-64, you also have to run that script that kills AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. You can probably find that via Google. If you can change GuestOS to darwin-64 first, then you don't need that script. Either way you do need to change Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext in the script to dsmos.kext before rebooting.

Changing the original "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmx" so guestOS = "freebsd-64" becomes guestOS = "darwin-64" makes the guest unbootable.

I tried the alternative you mentioned, and ran the following in Terminal before running the combo update:

sudo -s
while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

[edit] Install Succeeded

But what script are you referring to concerning dsmos? Sorry for such a basic question.