WUSB54GC: How to use new official driver & utility

Warstrong

299 posts in this topic

If you have troubles, please follow this post and reply if you need further help!

Please consider a donation! I could use some money and wasn't able to get a paypal account going until 2/23/10! Send PayPal donations to mbab85@gmail.com - thank you!

Disclaimer: The WUSB54GC is a different product than the WUSB54GCS (the one with speedbooster), so if you're buying one based on this driver you should make sure it's the standard model. There are probably more reliable options out there but this might work if you already have one of these adapters- definitely worth a try as most people get it working without much trouble. All current versions, 1-3, are supported. 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) has been reported working. These versions were uploaded on March 17, 2010 and will be referred to as the "March" versions.

Download Here

Directions:

Simply download the file above and unzip it. Choose the folder you use according to your WUSB54GC version and OS X version.

• Panther=10.3.x
  • Tiger=10.4.x
  • Leopard=10.5.x
  • Snow Leopard=10.6.x

Open the folder so that you see the "Applications", "Library", and "System" folders. Then open up another Finder window and go to the root (beginning) of your hard drive. Now just copy over the "Application" and "Library" folders to the root of your drive. Expect to be prompted for your login. Now install an application such as Kext Helper B7, Kext Installer, or this nice app we aren't allowed to link to for some stupid reason. Use whatever program you downloaded to install the WUSB54GC kext (it's at System/Library/Extensions inside the folder you unzipped). Reboot.

Post-Install

You may have to open up System Profiler, click on "Network" and hit apply for the card to connect. Remember that you also must use the "USBWirelessUtility" application to set up your connection and that you must start that every time you restart your computer. I recommend right clicking on its dock icon and checking "Open at Login". If you have any problems don't hesitate to ask for help.

If those kext installation apps don't support your computer (ie, you have a PPC (G3, G4, G5) or are running 10.4), you can follow these instructions:

Put the kext file(s) in /System/Library/Extensions/

Open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities) and set right permissions on kext by entering

sudo chmod -R 755 nameof.kext
sudo chown -R  root:wheel nameof.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Delete extensions.mkext in /System/Library/

Repair permissions with Disk Utility and reboot

Please consider a donation! I could use some money and wasn't able to get a paypal account going until 2/23/10! Send PayPal donations to mbab85@gmail.com - thank you!

If those kext installation apps don't support your computer (ie, you have a PPC (G3, G4, G5) or are running 10.4), you can follow these instructions:

1. Put the kext file(s) in /System/Library/Extensions/

2. Open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities) and set right permissions on kext by entering

sudo chmod -R 755 nameof.kext
sudo chown -R  root:wheel nameof.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

3. Delete extensions.mkext in /System/Library/

4. Repair permissions with Disk Utility and reboot

--------------------------------------

Ignore the downloads below, they are from the old methods. Their instructions can be found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1192097

12_04_08_Ralink_Modded.zip

12_04_08_Ralink_Modded__No_RT2500__Recommended_.zip

Linksys_WUSB54GC_Setup.zip

Linksys_WUSB54GC_Version_3_Setup.zip

Linksys_WUSB54GC_Complete_Setup_v1_3_3.0.mpkg.zip

WUSB54GC_Apps_and_Kexts.zip

For_WUSB54GC_Version_1.zip

For_WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3.zip

For_WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3_updated.zip

For_WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3_updated.zip

WUSB54GC_February___Panther.zip

WUSB54GC_Version_1___Tiger.zip

WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3___Tiger.zip

WUSB54GC_February___Leopard.zip

WUSB54GC_Version_1___Snow_Leopard.zip

WUSB54GC_Versions_2_3___Snow_Leopard.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
why there is a folder named _MACOSX??

how many kext i need to install?

that _MacOSX folder is just a folder that is usually hidden and you don't need to pay attention to it (I think its purpose is to arrange the icons in certain places in a window). You are installing these two .kext files:

RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext

They should be installed using the utility linked to in the original post. You probably don't need to set the -f boot flag or replug the device because they seem to have been fixed by Ralink. Reply back if you need more help.

... You are installing these two .kext files:

RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext

They should be installed using the utility linked to in the original post. You probably don't need to set the -f boot flag or replug the device because they seem to have been fixed by Ralink. Reply back if you need more help.

my case is quite strange,

if those two kext installed on /S*/L*/E* then USBWirelessUtility says NO DEVICE!!

but when those two kext installed on /Extra/Extensions alongside with IONetworkingfamily.kext then the device is recognised in network pane as eth0.

however the problem is USBWirelessUtility always crashed when launched so there is no way to set up the device.

could you please help me to overcome this problem?

Edited by barbie

my case is quite strange,

if those two kext installed on /S*/L*/E* then USBWirelessUtility says NO DEVICE!!

but when those two kext installed on /Extra/Extensions alongside with IONetworkingfamily.kext then the device is recognised in network pane as eth0.

however the problem is USBWirelessUtility always crashed when launched so there is no way to set up the device.

could you please help me to overcome this problem?

Could you please provide information about your system? Like what parts make up your system, how did you install osx, what version is it, did you use boot-132, did you previously have this stick working even partially, do any other apps crash when they shouldn't, and did USBWirelessUtility always crash?

my system is a netbook with following parts:

Mother Board ECS J10IL

Processor Intel Atom 1.6GHz

Memory 2GB DDRII

SATA Hard Drive 160GB

OSX 10.5.6 vanilla install with PC EFI 9 and DSDT patch and no other apps has ever been crash.

the stick has never been working before and USBWirelessUtility always crash if the stick being detected.

if the kext installed on /S*/L*/E*/ then stick will not be detected and USBWirelessUtility running well with NO DEVICE!! information.

my system is a netbook with following parts:

Mother Board ECS J10IL

Processor Intel Atom 1.6GHz

Memory 2GB DDRII

SATA Hard Drive 160GB

OSX 10.5.6 vanilla install with PC EFI 9 and DSDT patch and no other apps has ever been crash.

the stick has never been working before and USBWirelessUtility always crash if the stick being detected.

if the kext installed on /S*/L*/E*/ then stick will not be detected and USBWirelessUtility running well with NO DEVICE!! information.

So when you have installed the kexts USING OSX86TOOLS, the brand new USBWirelessUtility that came with the official Ralink driver says "NO DEVICE!!"? I'm thinking maybe the RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext file is being loaded instead of the RT73USBWirelessUtility that I know is neccessary for this card to work. I'm going to see if this works with just the RT73 driver and no RT2500 driver (now that I think about it, it should)

The conflict might also exist because you are running 10.5.6 and I am running 10.5.4. Maybe 10.5.6 makes the software unstable. Don't try to downgrade just yet, it may just be the RT2500 driver. I'll be back with an update soon.

Update: I just checked with my System Profiler and the RT2500 driver isn't being loaded, which means it's useless for this card. I think it may be causing a conflict in your rare case, so you should just delete the RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext from System/Library/Extensions. Also, in your case you should delete it from /Extra/Extensions if you haven't already. Attaching a .zip without the RT2500 driver now.

... I think it may be causing a conflict in your rare case, so you should just delete the RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext from System/Library/Extensions. Also, in your case you should delete it from /Extra/Extensions if you haven't already. Attaching a .zip without the RT2500 driver now.

i have some progress now, in my system RT73 kext aparently should be installed both on /S/L/E AND /E/E to make RT73USBWirelessUtility run. however the utility only detect the card as DISCONECTED!!, i have try to plug/unplug the card, repair permissions, boot with -F, delete mkext but the result is just the same. what should i do then?

just to log in another success story!

after several times restart the system (more than 4 times) for the purpose of clearing the system cache,

edit: or maybe because i activate the card under windows and then swicthed to osx to make it operate.

the card now is in fully operation.

thank you Warstrong for your kext and help.

-case closed-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just have to install the setup file right? The one you modded? Since I've done this, I have to start the USBwireless utility each time I boot, is that right? Also I've had 3 kernel panics since I installed it, I thougth that wouldn't happen with the modified installer?

I'm running XXX Osx 10.5.6 on a Acer Aspire 5715z and I'm using the WUSB54GC. It works, which I'm grateful for, but without kernel panics and maybe without the need to start the utility manually each time it would be much better!

Looking forward to your answer!

Fabian

I just have to install the setup file right? The one you modded? Since I've done this, I have to start the USBwireless utility each time I boot, is that right? Also I've had 3 kernel panics since I installed it, I thougth that wouldn't happen with the modified installer?

I'm running XXX Osx 10.5.6 on a Acer Aspire 5715z and I'm using the WUSB54GC. It works, which I'm grateful for, but without kernel panics and maybe without the need to start the utility manually each time it would be much better!

Looking forward to your answer!

Fabian

I believe all you have to do is install the setup file and then tell the wireless utility app to "Open at Login" by right-clicking on the app's dock icon. I actually never used that installer since I already got my system running with the more manual method of installing the kext using OSX86Tools. The kernel panics might actually be caused by the fact that you're running 10.5.6 based on the fact that someone has PM'd me saying he had kernel panics with 10.5.6 and then reinstalled osx and only updated 10.5.5 and then installed my package with no problems. But he never said anything about using my package on his 10.5.6 if I recall correctly. Nobody else has reported KP's with this though. Please reply back.

Works beatifully!

My airport started KP'ing on me, after a re-install of the OS it still happened.

But after this wonderful piece of code, I'm wireless once more. Why did no else think of this before?

iBook G4, 1333mhz OSX .4.11

No problems as of yet..

I believe all you have to do is install the setup file and then tell the wireless utility app to "Open at Login" by right-clicking on the app's dock icon. I actually never used that installer since I already got my system running with the more manual method of installing the kext using OSX86Tools. The kernel panics might actually be caused by the fact that you're running 10.5.6 based on the fact that someone has PM'd me saying he had kernel panics with 10.5.6 and then reinstalled osx and only updated 10.5.5 and then installed my package with no problems. But he never said anything about using my package on his 10.5.6 if I recall correctly. Nobody else has reported KP's with this though. Please reply back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having difficulty in getting it to work. I've tried the manual method along with your install but the device still isn't recognized. I added the -f with the osx86tools but that didn't do anything.

Thanks for the help.

ps.

Not sure if this matters, but I have a WUSB54GC ver.3.

I'm on 10.5.5

I'm having difficulty in getting it to work. I've tried the manual method along with your install but the device still isn't recognized. I added the -f with the osx86tools but that didn't do anything.

Thanks for the help.

ps.

Not sure if this matters, but I have a WUSB54GC ver.3.

I'm on 10.5.5

Sorry for the slow reply

Version 3 of this adapter is different. It uses the 2870 (really the 3070) chipset. No worries though, I just made a package for this version. Uploading now :(

Does this work in iatkos 10.5.6?

I've got an acer aspire on and I'm afraid the internal card doesent work so have to buy an USB wifi device...

I found the WUSB54GC in a catalogue from a nearby store for 249 DKK and going to buy it in a few hours... Was Just wondering if it works in 10.5.6 with voodoo kernel :P

Does this work in iatkos 10.5.6?

I've got an acer aspire on and I'm afraid the internal card doesent work so have to buy an USB wifi device...

I found the WUSB54GC in a catalogue from a nearby store for 249 DKK and going to buy it in a few hours... Was Just wondering if it works in 10.5.6 with voodoo kernel :(

It seems like it's working in 10.5.6, so I'd do it. The fact that it's iAtkos is pretty much insignificant. I don't have a machine running 10.5.6 so I can't tell you for sure, but I imagine many others would have reported issues with 10.5.6 by now if there were issues. It's a pretty good adapter once it's working, and this is probably one of the easier ones with the setup packages.

It seems like it's working in 10.5.6, so I'd do it. The fact that it's iAtkos is pretty much insignificant. I don't have a machine running 10.5.6 so I can't tell you for sure, but I imagine many others would have reported issues with 10.5.6 by now if there were issues. It's a pretty good adapter once it's working, and this is probably one of the easier ones with the setup packages.

OK so I bought it 20 minutes ago will try follow you tutorial here! Will post and update!

BTW: My god this USB adapter is big... Not funny having it in the side of my PC lol