Easy Update Guide 10.5.2-10.5.5

Ryu-ka

10 posts in this topic

I've noticed that there are many update guides scattered all over the place. I decided to take all of them, and glued them together. First of all, I do not take any credit for these guides. I had no part in creating these guides. I only re-wrote the guides based off the ones on recycledpapyr.us and insanelymac. Remember to backup your kexts in the System/Library/Extensions folder. For any of these updates, you'll need these programs:

-Kext Helper b7 (for patching new kexts)

-Taruga's AppleHDA.kext patcher (in case you need to patch your AppleHDA.kext for any reason before starting)

-Kalyway Mac OS X 10.5.3 Combo Update (you can only use this if you have a SSE3 Intel CPU, and if you don't want to use the alternate guide)

-Mac OS X 10.5.X Combo/Delta Update (obvious reasons)

Do NOT ask me where to get these! You can get Taruga's HDA patcher somewhere on this forum. Just Googe Kext Helper b7, and you should get a good link. The updates can be found on Apple's website. Kalyway Combo Update can be found on [torrent site]. Just search for Kalyway Update 10.5.3 and you'll find it. NOTE: do not attempt this guide for 10.5.6. I haven't updated it to work for 10.5.6.

**Thanks to recycledpapyr.us, insanelymac.blogspot, Taruga, Espresso Report, Kalyway, Apple, and cheeta.net**

BEFORE UPDATING, BACK UP THE FOLLOWING:

-AppleHDA.kext

-AppleAHCIPort.kext

-AppleAHCIPlatform.kext

This is a universal guide for all updates! The process is exactly the same!

1)- Download the Update from Apple's websie

2)- Mount the .dmg, but don't install the update

3)- Open terminal and type

sudo -s

and type your password

4)- Type

while sleep 1
do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext;
done

5)- Run update

6)- Press ctrl-c to end the script

7)- Go back to Terminal and type

nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

8)- (Note that this step is not required, but to be safe, you might want to do it) Go to the last page of the script and find the line "Don'tStealMacOSX.kext". Change it to "dsmos.kext"

9)- Reboot and type "update -v" (no quotes)

10)- If you have problems booting, try "-v -f -x" or "-v -x"

11)- Open Kext Helper b7 and use it to patch AppleHDA.kext, AppleAHCIPlatform.kext, and AppleAHCIPlatform.kext

12)- Repair permissions

while sleep 1
do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext;
done

5)- Press ctrl-c to end the script

6)- Run the Delta/Combo update

Good effort but sorry, not only is that an archaic method, pressing ctrl-c to cancel and THEN installing the update will undoubtedly crash your system beyond repair (not even -s mode will work) and you'll have to use a DVD or alternate method to delete the AppleIntelCPUPM kext.

Not only that, you failed to mention the DSDT patch required for vanilla users updating to 10.5.6.

In other words: Guide is incorrect, not recommended. Please update or delete.

Good effort but sorry, not only is that an archaic method, pressing ctrl-c to cancel and THEN installing the update will undoubtedly crash your system beyond repair (not even -s mode will work) and you'll have to use a DVD or alternate method to delete the AppleIntelCPUPM kext.

Not only that, you failed to mention the DSDT patch required for vanilla users updating to 10.5.6.

Oh, hmm. Well I just updated to 10.5.3 and was going to do the combo update to 10.5.5 this way. I guess I won't try it then... Bah I wish I knew what options to click on my update, but my TM backups won't image using my kalyway 10.5.2 disk (and as a second problem the disk I use for my TM backups is in a different state until January...) and it's a pain trying to get back to pre-update attempt everytime...

Oh, hmm. Well I just updated to 10.5.3 and was going to do the combo update to 10.5.5 this way. I guess I won't try it then... Bah I wish I knew what options to click on my update, but my TM backups won't image using my kalyway 10.5.2 disk (and as a second problem the disk I use for my TM backups is in a different state until January...) and it's a pain trying to get back to pre-update attempt everytime...

This guide is updated all it needs to be. If you will look at the Apple support site and this side you will see this is all you need. The DSDT patcher and disabler kext is not needed. The problems people are having is caused by an incomplete download of the updates. Down load the update..follow this guide or the guide you have been doing for 10.5.3- 10.5.4 - 10.5.5 and if your download was done in the last couple of days after Apple fixed their site you should be ok. To start with see the update in this link.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

All is good...

Thanks for telling me ;)

Steps 5 and 6 should be inverted. You run the update WHILE the script is running, when the update is done THEN you press Ctrl+C, or else the script does not remove the new kext.

Sorry for my inaccuracy, I just inverted steps 5 and 6 :D

Again, feel free to post advice, flaws, etc.