Chief technology officer leaving Apple Computer

thrunner

1 post in this topic

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L&type=business

Chief technology officer leaving Apple Computer

Avadis Tevanian, Apple Computer Inc.'s chief technology officer, is leaving the company to pursue other interests, the company confirmed Monday. Tevanian, who came to Apple in 1997 from his previous post working for Steve Jobs at NeXT, played a key role in developing Mac OS X.

Although Apple wouldn't say what Tevanian's plans are, Apple spokeswoman Katie Cotton wrote in an e-mail that, "He plans to take some time off in the interim. He hasn't left yet, though. His last official day is March 31."

In an interview he once gave the computer science department at his alma mater, Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Tevanian was asked if he ever had an epiphany.

"The day I met Steve Jobs. NeXT, the company he was CEO of then, was very interested in using the research we had done (the Mach operating system) and this was when I heard just how interested he was in it. I ended that day with a feeling of, 'It is time for me to get in gear, finish my Ph.D and get out in the working world.' The end result was that I made it through the Ph.D. program in only 4 1/2 years -- which is very short."

-- Al Saracevic