HP Compaq nc6220 & wlan/bluetooth

mrpijey

8 posts in this topic

I have a HP Compaq nc6220 laptop. In Windows mode I can enable and disable both WLAN and Bluetooth using a special button on the keyboard. When it's on a blue light usually lights up at two places. But when I boot OSX neither light is on, and nothing happens when I press that button. So I wonder, is the hardware disabled or does OSX simply detect and reject it? I don't know how to check what's detected or not... but OSX should at least make use of the bluetooth on the laptop.... it works fine with a bluetooth USB dongle, but if I somehow could enable the built in..... Any ideas?

I also have a nc6220 laptop and was facing the same problem. You can enable the bluetooth and wifi card during the power on tests right before the Darwin boot loader message, or boot windows and enable the wifi by pressing the button and then reboot

your laptop to OSX.

Although enabled only the bluetooth works the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG is not supported by any driver ( at least to my knowledge ) yet.

I'am thinking about giving 10.4.4/5 a try today how about you what version are you running ?

Enjoy...

I tried that, but it doesn't work. If i boot Windows and enable it the blue led turns off during reboot. And nothing happens if i press it before Darwin boots.

I am running 10.4.5 atm. Works OK except some apps crashes. Video works good, so does audio. But as usual no PC-card support, no wlan or built in LAN so the machine is totally disconnected from the world. Bluetooth doesn't work either since it won't enable. Only way I can get bluetooth working is by plugging in an USB one, but then i have to reboot the system to enable it. OSX also has massive problems handling USB-harddrives, everytime i try to format an external drive the Disk Utility app hangs indefinately and nothing happens with the drive until i reboot the entire machine.

Unfortunately my experience is the same as your mrpijey. I have a Bluetooth dongle that works well but I cannot persuade the built-in bluetooth to work.

I have a very usable 10.4.5 installation, but I have to plug in a mouse (synaptics touchpad doesn't work), a bluetooth dongle (for the mouse, but also to sync with my P910i) and a wireless adapter (built-in wireless adapter isn't recognised. The main problem with all of this is that it makes my laptop less than fully portable as I end up having to plug loads of devices in before I can turn the damned thing on.

• 1 month later...

This is all quite strange as I have a Nc6220 aswell where the touchpad and the bluetooth work out of the box in 10.4.3 and 10.4.6.

I've even managed to get the built in ethernet (BCM5751) working too by following haters method:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=4987&st=100

Read from about page 6 onwards.

The only thing I can't get going is the WiFi (Intel 2200 BG)

Nick

• Like 1

Hi all,

I also have a nc6220 and like Sitting Duck, bluetooth works out of the box, including by using the button with the blue led. Here are some additional infos:

• I used the 10.4.4/5 Universal DVD then the 10.4.6 update patched by Myzar
  • Integrated Ethernet needed a little hacking following instructions of the thread already mentionned by Sitting Duck
  • Power Management need also some hacks for the battery meter to appear in the top bar
  • a PC keyboard driver was also necessary to map the keyboard correctly (even if still no "Del", "Home", "End", ...)
  • Intel 2200BG wireless is not recognized and there's no existing solution, AFAIK
  • everything else worked perfecly out-of-the-box, except PCCARD (if you have a clue...) and SD card slots

I don't face any application crash and Darwine is coping nicely with some of my Windows applications (still have problem with DarwinPorts to install Freetype for applications that requires TrueType fonts, though)

So at the end of the day, I would recommend this laptop.

HTH,

edav.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

This is all quite strange as I have a Nc6220 aswell where the touchpad and the bluetooth work out of the box in 10.4.3 and 10.4.6.

I've even managed to get the built in ethernet (BCM5751) working too by following haters method:

http://forum.osx86pr...pic=4987&st=100

Read from about page 6 onwards.

The only thing I can't get going is the WiFi (Intel 2200 BG)

Nick

That link to the osx86project is not working. Can someone please describe the steps or upload the kext to get the broadcom ethernet working in nc6220?