Giving up on GIGABYTE GA-EP45-P3

theotherone

2 posts in this topic

After trying to replace my beloved BADAXE2 in a rush, I am nearly in the process in giving up with these Konfiguration:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3P (F6)

CPU: 3,16 GHz E8500 Dual Core 2 (45nm)

10 HDs (8 on a HPT 3520 RAID Controller)

ATI HD3870

etc. (see my sig)

What went wrong? I tried the boot-132 Method and was able to install 10.5 without problems, even booting after that worked. Updating to 10.5.4 with the delta-installer worked but after that - no way booting the updated 10.5.4. Kernel-panics, looking after starting with -v -s it stucks where the name of the motherboard was given. And yes, i tried the various kexts floading around here from the P35-Boards to no avail. Maybe i was to hasty because i needed working machine soon...

So finally i tried the all-new iATKOS 10.5.4 and it worked as advertised, installed complete (Restart or shutdown don't work, but OK). But the problems continue: Sound from my USB-Sounddevices (Creative x-Fi, etc) was distorted and stuttering, so i searched for solutions her on the board and found that installing the modbin-kernel 9.4 could resolve the timing problem with the new 45nm CHIPS from Intel (E8500). Tried this and it worked for me. Next Stop: Ethernet on the 2 internal Ethernet Ports is painfully slow (for webpages somewhat OK, for Downloads it sucks bigtime with around 20kB from 220 possible on my DSL-Connection). The same is true for an added WIFI-Card (ASUS WL-138G V2). Tried with the realtek v2 Drivers and tried with Original APPLE- IONetworkingFamily.kext. No go....

So, what i want to do now is trying a last Install with Boot-132 and carefully updating to 10.5.4, i think it must be possible to get this beast running with Vanilla-Install and a handful kexts, maybe modbin kernel 9.4 needed for sound (internel azaila-sound may work, but i use ony USB-Sound, so i'm not interested in using the internal soundchip 889a).

If i'm not going to reach a fully working configuration i will finally trash the GA-EP45-DS3 and go and buy a working-premium board, maybe someone could recommend something with firewire, 1 or 2 Gigabit-Ethernet-Ports, 4 sata-ports (RAID not needed), etc.

Thanks for some Help with this.

Using Kalyway, myself and many others have had success using the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P. Has all the prerequisites that you need- only one Gb ethernet port, though.

The latest bios has the added bonus of having good overclocking. Won't break the bank either.