• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

sodafox

sodafox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I tried all that, it said kext succefully loaded, I rebooted, and guess what? no airport! How I find the right number to put, like 4320... How I find mine?

If you have a win xp install running on your machine the vendor and device ID number will show up in the device manager under the wireless card's properties. (details tab)

I am running a belkin card with the 8001 broadcom chip which translated to a easy to read description is:

14e4 => vendor ID (belkin)
4320 and/or 4306 => device ID

This info will appear in the format as indicated in a drop-down box like this in the details tab:
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320.....etc

See if this helps and let us know how you go...

soda

marcrem

marcrem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
First of all, thanks to pay attention to my problem.

Ok so when I go to check my card details, its:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1043...etc.

my card is a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Any idea?

technoir

technoir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

First of all, thanks to pay attention to my problem.

Ok so when I go to check my card details, its:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1043...etc.

my card is a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Any idea?

I also have one of those. The chipset is by a company called 'Symbol'. It's not a Broadcom and wouldn't work with the procedure here. I'm looking to get it working as well. If I run across a fix, I'll check back.
If you can easily get to your mini pci card, look at it. Some of these Intels have almost a white wrapper. Take it off and look for 'BCM43xx' or the word Symbol on the actual chip.

marcrem

marcrem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I tried to put pci8086,1043 in a string, but still not working...

I cannot really take a look inside this laptop... As I understand, there is not a solution for now?

sodafox

sodafox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I tried to put pci8086,1043 in a string, but still not working...

I cannot really take a look inside this laptop... As I understand, there is not a solution for now?

Yeah, generally speaking this solution supports only broadcom based chipsets since this is what is used by apple in their airport cards and hubs...

Sorry that I can't help you anymore at the moment.

soda

Duncster

Duncster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
You guys are gods!!! :D

All working perfectly on my Compaq Evo N800v running a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless PCMCIA card.

This is what I did (I also found I was unable to directly edit the files in the text editor) - (please forgive me if I've basically repeated what has already been said - I'm a support guy - I have to log faults with software every day, so I tend to be a bit thorough with details :P )

- Launched the Terminal window.

- Typed: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/contents/info.plist

- Changed the following lines:

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

to:

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

(ditched the last line)

- Ctrl+0 to save, [Return] to use offered filename (ie, what it already is)

- Ctrl+X to exit whatever this command line editor is called ;)

- Restarted osx86

- Launched the terminal window again.

- Typed: sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Changed the line which reads:

<string>en0</string>

to:

<string>en1</string>

and change:

<integer>0</integer>

to:

<integer>1</integer>

If there is an additional interface already using en1, change it to en2 and the integer to 2 (this worked for me)

- Ctrl+O to save changes, [Return] to accept filename.

- Ctrl+X to exit editor.

- Restart osx86

- Open Network Preferences - It should say it has detected a new Airport interface, or something, say OK.

- Click Show, select Airport.

- Click Apply Now.

You should now have full Wireless network access.

Thanks for all yer helps :)

D.

chenzhu_an

chenzhu_an

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You guys are gods!!! :D

All working perfectly on my Compaq Evo N800v running a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless PCMCIA card.

This is what I did (I also found I was unable to directly edit the files in the text editor) - (please forgive me if I've basically repeated what has already been said - I'm a support guy - I have to log faults with software every day, so I tend to be a bit thorough with details :star_smile: )

- Launched the Terminal window.

- Typed: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/contents/info.plist

- Changed the following lines:

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

to:

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

(ditched the last line)

- Ctrl+0 to save, [Return] to use offered filename (ie, what it already is)

- Ctrl+X to exit whatever this command line editor is called :whistle:

- Restarted osx86

- Typed: sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

<string>en0</string>

to:

<string>en1</string>

and change:

<integer>0</integer>

to:

<integer>1</integer>
If there is an additional interface already using en1, change it to en2 and the integer to 2 (this worked for me)

- Ctrl+X to exit editor.

- Restart osx86

- Open Network Preferences - It should say it has detected a new Airport interface, or something, say OK.

- Click Apply Now.

You should now have full Wireless network access.
Thanks for all yer helps :whistle:

D.

I did exactly the same thing, and I'm pretty sure mine is 14e4,4306, but I still didn't get the Airport Icon on the top bar. My laptop is Fujitsu P5010D, with Broadcom 4306 wireless mini-pci card installed.

Anyone could help??? :o

Duncster

Duncster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Unfortunately, I can't help, as I don't actually know what all this hacking around with these files actually does. Just that it seemed to work for me!

If someone could explain what these settings actually do, that would be really helpful.

D.

sodafox

sodafox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I did exactly the same thing, and I'm pretty sure mine is 14e4,4306, but I still didn't get the Airport Icon on the top bar. My laptop is Fujitsu P5010D, with Broadcom 4306 wireless mini-pci card installed.

Anyone could help??? ;)

Hi there,

...it's really important to ensure that you have made the changes to the brcm4311.kext correctly; this by its self will give you the airport icon(it will not work at this stage but it should show in the taskbar).

The other important thing is to confirm the vendor & device ID's correctly because this change will defintiely not work if they are different.

The brcm4311.kext info.plist file 'tricks' osx into thinking that your broadcom 4306/4320 chip is an actual airport card. If you enter the wrong numbers here and they don't actually match the numbers in the physical device's firmware the kext wont load in.

If you can recheck the bcrm4311.kext info.plist file and also verify the the device's actual ID's using win XP's device manager to make sure that you have a broadcom chip.

Let us know how you get on....

soda

marcrem

marcrem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for your help, if you find a way to fix my problem, tell me please!

chenzhu_an

chenzhu_an

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi there,

...it's really important to ensure that you have made the changes to the brcm4311.kext correctly; this by its self will give you the airport icon(it will not work at this stage but it should show in the taskbar).

The other important thing is to confirm the vendor & device ID's correctly because this change will defintiely not work if they are different.

The brcm4311.kext info.plist file 'tricks' osx into thinking that your broadcom 4306/4320 chip is an actual airport card. If you enter the wrong numbers here and they don't actually match the numbers in the physical device's firmware the kext wont load in.

If you can recheck the bcrm4311.kext info.plist file and also verify the the device's actual ID's using win XP's device manager to make sure that you have a broadcom chip.

Let us know how you get on....

soda

Hey, I opend up my P5010D, and found out the chip was really BCM4306, which is clearly written on the mini-pci module. I don't have XP installed on my laptop now, so, i guess this is the only way that i can make sure it's a Broadcom 4306 chip.

But when I tried editting brcm4311.kext info.plist, it still didn't give me the Airport Icon...

What should I do then???

Thanks alot for ur help

sodafox

sodafox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hey, I opend up my P5010D, and found out the chip was really BCM4306, which is clearly written on the mini-pci module. I don't have XP installed on my laptop now, so, i guess this is the only way that i can make sure it's a Broadcom 4306 chip.

But when I tried editting brcm4311.kext info.plist, it still didn't give me the Airport Icon...

What should I do then???

Thanks alot for ur help

Hi again,

If you followed Duncster's steps from his previous entry you should be ok. (scratches head)
There are a couple of things else you can do thou'.

1- I assume you checked to ensure that the changes were made and did actually save in the brcm4311 info.plist file.

2- Did you delete the the 2 cache files in the extensions folder... these need to be deleted before osx will see your changes. If you don't delete these files osx will continue to use the cached hardware settings (deleting these will force osx to rebuild these 2 files on restart and then see your changes).

3- Can you turn off any 'plug n pray' settings in your bios? I don't think osx likes to assign resources and prefers to allow this bios to do this.

This is normally enough to get a broadcom based chipset to run... even thou' your chipset says 4306, it will probably need to be used as a 4320; list this first in your changes.(my chipset is a 4306 also but works with the 4320 settings)

Have a go with these suggestions and let us know if this helps

soda

chenzhu_an

chenzhu_an

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I'll do this later, cuz gonna have an important exam soon...

I'll let u know the result.

Thanks again

scamit

scamit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I did the above, now I can see the network icon on the top right but when i click on it, "AIRPORT: Not Configured" is greyed out. What can I do to make this work?

Thanks

mgt42

mgt42

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Working beatifull on HP ZD8000 laptop, thanks man : this is my setting:

WLAN Broadcom 802.11b/g

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_12FA103C&REV_03\4&5A988DE&0&18F0

chenzhu_an

chenzhu_an

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi again,

If you followed Duncster's steps from his previous entry you should be ok. (scratches head)
There are a couple of things else you can do thou'.

1- I assume you checked to ensure that the changes were made and did actually save in the brcm4311 info.plist file.

2- Did you delete the the 2 cache files in the extensions folder... these need to be deleted before osx will see your changes. If you don't delete these files osx will continue to use the cached hardware settings (deleting these will force osx to rebuild these 2 files on restart and then see your changes).

3- Can you turn off any 'plug n pray' settings in your bios? I don't think osx likes to assign resources and prefers to allow this bios to do this.

This is normally enough to get a broadcom based chipset to run... even thou' your chipset says 4306, it will probably need to be used as a 4320; list this first in your changes.(my chipset is a 4306 also but works with the 4320 settings)
Have a go with these suggestions and let us know if this helps

soda

hey hey hey....SODA...u r the man~~~
it worked, after I deleted those two cache files, and reboot the system...

Thanks a lot~~~

sodafox

sodafox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hi,

I did the above, now I can see the network icon on the top right but when i click on it, "AIRPORT: Not Configured" is greyed out. What can I do to make this work?

Thanks

Hi scamit....

I've cut and pasted the appropriate parts of Dunstar's post above which you will need to do in order to get that greyed out airport icon working. (his instructions are nice and easy to follow)

- Restarted osx86

<string>en0</string>

to:

<string>en1</string>

and change:

<integer>0</integer>

to:

<integer>1</integer>

- Ctrl+X to exit editor.

- Restart osx86

- Click Apply Now.

That should see you sorted hopefully.

Let us know how you get on... :whistle:

soda

chazman

chazman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
My osx now recognizes my card, and has the icon. But the airport option is greyed out...and I've been changing those damn .kext files AND deleting the cached files too.

Any idea on what could be doign this?

SLVR6

SLVR6

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Okay, two different wireless cards here and I can't get an ID from either! Trying to get it from XP this is what I get:
Linksys WPC11-PCMCIA\THE_LINKSYS_GROUP__INC.-INSTANT_WIRELESS_NETWORK_PC_CARD-0C0B\1
Orinoco Gold-PCMCIA\LUCENT_TECHNOLOGIES-WAVELAN/IEEE-C908\1

i check my internal Intel card and something similar to what has been posted here. Also, any thoughts on a Cisco Aironet internal card?

chazman

chazman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Well, after finding out that nothing WORKED at all. I gave up and did a fresh install of 10.4.5.

I thought, what the hell...I'll try one more time.

I edited io80211family.kext with my wifi card's info

rebooted

Apple gave me an error saying "io80211family.kext failed to load...blah blah blah".

I almost punched the screen. Well, it wasnt THAT bad but I was pissed. Until I...

I opened disk utility.

Repaired permissions and then verified them.

Rebooted and it RECOGNIZED THE CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

So for everyone who is having trouble with their broadcom card, try repairing permissions and then verifying them. I didnt even have to touch my networks.plist file or whatever it's called.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy