Finally Wireless networking!

PLDRAGON

110 posts in this topic

Hi there,

...it's really important to ensure that you have made the changes to the brcm4311.kext correctly; this by its self will give you the airport icon(it will not work at this stage but it should show in the taskbar).

The other important thing is to confirm the vendor & device ID's correctly because this change will defintiely not work if they are different.

The brcm4311.kext info.plist file 'tricks' osx into thinking that your broadcom 4306/4320 chip is an actual airport card. If you enter the wrong numbers here and they don't actually match the numbers in the physical device's firmware the kext wont load in.

If you can recheck the bcrm4311.kext info.plist file and also verify the the device's actual ID's using win XP's device manager to make sure that you have a broadcom chip.

Let us know how you get on....

soda

Hey, I opend up my P5010D, and found out the chip was really BCM4306, which is clearly written on the mini-pci module. I don't have XP installed on my laptop now, so, i guess this is the only way that i can make sure it's a Broadcom 4306 chip.

But when I tried editting brcm4311.kext info.plist, it still didn't give me the Airport Icon...

What should I do then???

Thanks alot for ur help

Hey, I opend up my P5010D, and found out the chip was really BCM4306, which is clearly written on the mini-pci module. I don't have XP installed on my laptop now, so, i guess this is the only way that i can make sure it's a Broadcom 4306 chip.

But when I tried editting brcm4311.kext info.plist, it still didn't give me the Airport Icon...

What should I do then???

Thanks alot for ur help

Hi again,

If you followed Duncster's steps from his previous entry you should be ok. (scratches head)

There are a couple of things else you can do thou'.

1- I assume you checked to ensure that the changes were made and did actually save in the brcm4311 info.plist file.

2- Did you delete the the 2 cache files in the extensions folder... these need to be deleted before osx will see your changes. If you don't delete these files osx will continue to use the cached hardware settings (deleting these will force osx to rebuild these 2 files on restart and then see your changes).

3- Can you turn off any 'plug n pray' settings in your bios? I don't think osx likes to assign resources and prefers to allow this bios to do this.

This is normally enough to get a broadcom based chipset to run... even thou' your chipset says 4306, it will probably need to be used as a 4320; list this first in your changes.(my chipset is a 4306 also but works with the 4320 settings)

Have a go with these suggestions and let us know if this helps

soda

Hi again,

If you followed Duncster's steps from his previous entry you should be ok. (scratches head)

There are a couple of things else you can do thou'.

1- I assume you checked to ensure that the changes were made and did actually save in the brcm4311 info.plist file.

2- Did you delete the the 2 cache files in the extensions folder... these need to be deleted before osx will see your changes. If you don't delete these files osx will continue to use the cached hardware settings (deleting these will force osx to rebuild these 2 files on restart and then see your changes).

3- Can you turn off any 'plug n pray' settings in your bios? I don't think osx likes to assign resources and prefers to allow this bios to do this.

This is normally enough to get a broadcom based chipset to run... even thou' your chipset says 4306, it will probably need to be used as a 4320; list this first in your changes.(my chipset is a 4306 also but works with the 4320 settings)

Have a go with these suggestions and let us know if this helps

soda

hey hey hey....SODA...u r the man~~~

it worked, after I deleted those two cache files, and reboot the system...

Thanks a lot~~~

Hi,

I did the above, now I can see the network icon on the top right but when i click on it, "AIRPORT: Not Configured" is greyed out. What can I do to make this work?

Thanks

Hi scamit....

I've cut and pasted the appropriate parts of Dunstar's post above which you will need to do in order to get that greyed out airport icon working. (his instructions are nice and easy to follow)

- Restarted osx86

- Launched the terminal window again.

- Typed: sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Changed the line which reads:

<string>en0</string>

to:

<string>en1</string>

and change:

<integer>0</integer>

to:

<integer>1</integer>

If there is an additional interface already using en1, change it to en2 and the integer to 2 (this worked for me)

- Ctrl+O to save changes, [Return] to accept filename.

- Ctrl+X to exit editor.

- Restart osx86

- Open Network Preferences - It should say it has detected a new Airport interface, or something, say OK.

- Click Show, select Airport.

- Click Apply Now.

That should see you sorted hopefully.

Let us know how you get on... :whistle:

soda

Okay, two different wireless cards here and I can't get an ID from either! Trying to get it from XP this is what I get:

Linksys WPC11-PCMCIA\THE_LINKSYS_GROUP__INC.-INSTANT_WIRELESS_NETWORK_PC_CARD-0C0B\1

Orinoco Gold-PCMCIA\LUCENT_TECHNOLOGIES-WAVELAN/IEEE-C908\1

i check my internal Intel card and something similar to what has been posted here. Also, any thoughts on a Cisco Aironet internal card?

Well, after finding out that nothing WORKED at all. I gave up and did a fresh install of 10.4.5.

I thought, what the hell...I'll try one more time.

I edited io80211family.kext with my wifi card's info

rebooted

Apple gave me an error saying "io80211family.kext failed to load...blah blah blah".

I almost punched the screen. Well, it wasnt THAT bad but I was pissed. Until I...

I opened disk utility.

Repaired permissions and then verified them.

Rebooted and it RECOGNIZED THE CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

So for everyone who is having trouble with their broadcom card, try repairing permissions and then verifying them. I didnt even have to touch my networks.plist file or whatever it's called.

Got a Dell 1470 off ebay for $18 to replace my 2200BG, plug it in and change the string to 4319. reboot ...bang....AirPort Extreme.

=================

Dell 600m 2.1GHz

Display 1440 x 1050

1GB RAM

60GB HD

Wireless Works 4319

Ethernet Works

Bluetooth Works

Sounds Works

Got a Dell 1470 off ebay for $18 to replace my 2200BG, plug it in and change the string to 4319. reboot ...bang....AirPort Extreme.

=================

Dell 600m 2.1GHz

Display 1440 x 1050

1GB RAM

60GB HD

Wireless Works 4319

Ethernet Works

Bluetooth Works

Sounds Works

How did you get Bluetooth working?

Didn't do anything special, it just works right after I installed 10.4.5 reboot Bluetooth pops up on menu bar.

I just got another Dell notebook working, Insp 5100. All works love it.....

=================

Dell 600m 2.1GHz

Display 1440 x 1050

1GB RAM

60GB HD

Wireless Works 4319

Ethernet Works

Bluetooth Works

Sounds Works

USB2 Works

hey guys.. ive got a linksys wireless pcmcia card which is detected as a 14e4 4230 card. when i first installed mac os 10.4.5 i got a small icon near the time of a pci card... when i click on it i get a little popup saying that it can see a broadcom wireless card.

i then changed the deviceid strings in the IO...... .kext file how you guys explain. but if i connect the card in, the system totally locks up.

any suggestions?

Lucky you. I can not get the 1470 card to work in one Latitude 610m, but I could get the 1450 card to work in another one.

Help.

I have Broadcom 4324A. I removed AppleAirport2 and am using IO80211family.

It already has the 4324 string in it so I leave it alone.

On boot, in verbose, it sees the BCM and shows its MAC address.

Having messed with networkinterfaces.plist, no airport icon shows up, no joy.

Help?

Didn't do anything special, it just works right after I installed 10.4.5 reboot Bluetooth pops up on menu bar.

I just got another Dell notebook working, Insp 5100. All works love it.....

=================

Dell 600m 2.1GHz

Display 1440 x 1050

1GB RAM

60GB HD

Wireless Works 4319

Ethernet Works

Bluetooth Works

Sounds Works

USB2 Works

Do you know what bluetooth card is in your system?

Hi,

Broadcom 4324A here.

No joy.

No amount of editing kext (shouldn't be necessary, 4324 is already in there) or with networkinterfaces has got it working.

Only sign of hope is that when booting I see a Broadcom 440ex that I don't recall seeing before.

Sorry in advanced if this issue has already been addressed but i did not find any information on it. I have DELL wireless 1450 a/b/g USB 2.0 adapter which i believe has the broadcom 4309 chipset. i have done this edit but still have had NO luck with getting it to work. can anyone help who has the same adapter and has gotten it to work!?

CHIPSET 4318: thanks for the information! i have a newer revision of the F5D7001 card (ver 1212) i bought at CompUSA - with a brdcm chipset of 4318. Once i put that in the plist along with the other mods, worked great!

I have a Gateway 3018gz. It was a pain in the :) to find out which modlel of the chip I had. I installed osx86 hoping it work... :weight_lift:

any way i finaly got it to work by adding as many diffrent model number i could find... a long process.

I destroyed my install into a babling mess the first time i tried.

Just want to thank everyone in the form for all the help.

I gave up after i got it to work so i know the driver is either 4306 or 94306 when you go to modify your string for any one else with the same laptop.

ps: I get better signal in osx than the "official" drivers in xp...

does anyone know if I can put this thing in 700M?

=================

Dell 600m 2.1GHz

Display 1440 x 1050

1GB RAM

60GB HD

Wireless Works 4319

Ethernet Works

Bluetooth Works

Sounds Works

CHIPSET 4318: thanks for the information! i have a newer revision of the F5D7001 card (ver 1212) i bought at CompUSA - with a brdcm chipset of 4318. Once i put that in the plist along with the other mods, worked great!

Could someone please summorize just exactly what has to be done to get it to work ?

Like, plist and "all the other mods"..