7300GT vs 8400GS

SynMoo

3 posts in this topic

I'm replacing my ATI card so I can keep my dual monitor support when I jump into Leopard.

I have two options: a 7300GT and an 8400GS. Both are pretty much the same price and both are working on the HCL.

It would seem then 7300GT has a slight performance boost over the 8400GS, but I'm not sure which is more or less likely to give me compatibility problems. The extend of gaming is the wife playing Sims 2 in Windows.

Opinions anyone?

I'm replacing my ATI card so I can keep my dual monitor support when I jump into Leopard.

I have two options: a 7300GT and an 8400GS. Both are pretty much the same price and both are working on the HCL.

It would seem then 7300GT has a slight performance boost over the 8400GS, but I'm not sure which is more or less likely to give me compatibility problems. The extend of gaming is the wife playing Sims 2 in Windows.

Opinions anyone?

Well cards aren't judged by themselves alone, it really depends on how much you support it, like RAM, CPU power, monitor resoultion, etc...)

I have a 8400 GS M (laptop card), and honestly is great. Works with games such as Crysis, Half-Life 2, etc...

But, if you get this version of the 7300GT, it totally beats the {censored} out of my card. (Only problem, it's AGP)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143102

Thanks for your input! I was mostly concerned about compatibility, but it seems that either one won't be an issue. I have a 7600GS (QE/CI, dual monitor) in my current hackintosh (Intel) and the new one will be AMD. Wish I could run vanilla kernel on it like I do my Intel one though. :thumbsdown_anim:

I went with this 7300GT:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500033

Should work just fine and give the Sims 2 a boost for the wife! Coming from an ATI X700.

Other machine specs: DFI Infinity NF570-M2/G (nForce 570 MCP), AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2GB RAM.