itakos Leopard nVidia PNY 7600 GS 512 meg CI yes QE no

TyCeilican

3 posts in this topic

I'm currently running itakos Leopard 10.5.2 and I'm using Compaq Presario everything works fine. Except I'm having problems getting full Quartz Extreme support. I'm getting resolution options 800 x 600 up to 1024 by 768 with the ability to change hertz from 75 to 60. I'm fine with the resolution on my better monitors I get better resolution options. Full resolution infact. I get CI support but no QE. It is driving me a bit crazy. Sad part is the only reason I want full support is so that I can run WoW. I know but its my crack of choice.

I'm currently using the NVinject.kext and NVinjectGo.Kext from the NVinject 0.2.1.

The PC works wonderfully and I like the fact that its not running a MS os.

Anyone who has been able to get the PNY nVidia 7600 GS 512 meg to get full support? I would love to know how you did it step by step as I'm not a total noobie to the mac world but I'm not all that experienced getting them to work on well non mac hardware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well to no surprise, my addiction to get this work has meant a few hours of non stop hacking. And the solution was relatively simple. http://nvinject.free.fr 512meg rom update was the fix.

1. Getting a copy of my firm ware was fun, not very difficult because I had an XP Live CD, and a thumb drive I was able to copy Nabitor (I hope that is spelled correctly) on to.

2. Started up XP live disk, and then started Nabitor read in device firmware Saved a backup copy just incase and made a few of my own special changes to the one I was going to modify, mostly to the greeting. When the pc starts and the firmware for the hardware says what It is I made mine say some more. (just because I could). Exited Windows.

3. Restarted in OS X, downloaded the Rom Patcher and patched the modified rom. Downloaded nvflash 5.67 the latest version at the time to my thumb drive. (my thumb drive is using hp boot up utility and windows 98 dos system files) This allows my thumb drive to be used as a boot device. I should mention that since non of my pc's have floppy disks this was just a pain in the azz to make. copied the moded.rom to my nvflash folder were the exe resides.

4. Restarted and booted from my thumb drive went and followed all the instructions on how to nvflash from http://nvinject.free.fr. This makes for 2 backups of my original rom, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

5. Rebooted in OS X, downloaded the nvinject.kext for 512 vram. set the permissions on as directed on the nvinject website. Restarted, and to my great surprise I was now at 100 percent functionality.

I currently work with many imac's and several macbook pro's I am the it manager of a mostly windows shop with several mac's. Upper management is pushing a change in our environment and having a hackintosh at home that is 100 percent capable of doing everything my imac in the office is able to do is very nice. I'm running all the software with out any problems, was able to run vm fusion and get full resolution. I have since hooked up my better monitor and am getting full resolution out of it.

I would like to thank everyone at http://nvinject.free.fr for providing the information. I did not need to post on your forums your information was excellent. I do feel that for the newbie who has a 512 meg video card that is not getting identified, I wouldn't not attempt hacking at your video card's bios unless you really don't need that video card. as it could potentially damage the device. But anyone with moderate level of understanding of the bios and what it does should have no problems attempting to fix their video card.

Thanks again to everyone at InsanelyMac and Nvinject.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...