eSata P5W DH Deluxe hotplugin

Januz

10 posts in this topic

Hey,

I just bought a P5W DH Deluxe and installed Jas 10.5.2 on it without any problems. But I can only connect my external HDD via eSata if it is connected and running on startup. If I try to connect/turn it on later when the system is already running, the HDD won´t be recognized...

If have ACHI enabled in the Bios - are there other things to consider? Has anybody of you been able to plug and play eSata drives on a P5W? I meen I´d like to turn on and off my external drive when I need it without rebooting...

Thank you,

Januz

As for a I understand, changing to eSATA is merely extending the internal cable to the outside! The BIOS still has to know there is a drive connected and for that to happen it needs to see it during the boot sequence! unless you have a MB that supports hot plug, only USB and Firewire can be loaded and ejected while the system is running!?

SticMAN

Hey,

I just bought a P5W DH Deluxe and installed Jas 10.5.2 on it without any problems. But I can only connect my external HDD via eSata if it is connected and running on startup. If I try to connect/turn it on later when the system is already running, the HDD won´t be recognized...

If have ACHI enabled in the Bios - are there other things to consider? Has anybody of you been able to plug and play eSata drives on a P5W? I meen I´d like to turn on and off my external drive when I need it without rebooting...

Thank you,

Januz

Hmm, I thought that eSata is hot plugable. And I have a native eSata-slot on my MB. So I think it should work, and have read that in Xp it works. So is the problem due to Bios settings or to using Mac Os?

Thanks again,

Januz

Depending on your motherboard, eSATA is probably using an additional controller which has its own device ID. You need to identify this controller, its ID, the kext designed for it, and add this ID to that kext.

For most ASUS motherboards, internal IDE + eSATA is handled by the jmicron controller. Each bus (IDE + SATA) MAY have a different ID, and this ID changes depending on the BIOS setting (IDE/AHCI/RAID).

To make things clear, consider each bus and each mode are like totally different devices.

For jmicron, the kexts that deals with IDE are AppleVIAATA.kext or jmicronATA.kext (work the same), the one that deals with AHCI is AppleAHCIPort.kext (probably).

So, set the mode you wish to use from the BIOS, get the IDs (from windows or OSX using this DPCI manager), and add those IDs to the relevant kexts.

I haven't tested any of this, just relying on my "generic knowledge"

Thanks for the replies!

@Kabuzu: I will try that on the weekend

@peach Os: Did it work out of the box? What are your Bios-Settings besides AHCI enabled? Which Install Method did you use, any additional kexts? Do you have sleep?Thanks again for answers,Januz

Edit: @Peach Os: Sorry, didn´t read your Specifications. So you installed via Retail Dvd? What about the Bios Settings and kexts?

I installed a retail disc using terminal in an other leo install. before I installed efi and used guid partition table.

the only change in bios that has any influence is switching the disk mode to ahci. no hotplug in ide mode.

I don´t remember installing any additional kexts for this,but I will compare it to my kalyway install the next days.

helpful thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=76404&hl=