Virtualizing Tiger in Leopard

7 posts in this topic

This is not directly related to Hackintosh, but it is in the same realm. I have a MacBook Pro with Leopard installed. I want to run Tiger in Vmware Fusion. Right now I have a Tiger partition that I would like to use. Is there any way to get this partition of Tiger to show up in Fusion?

This is not directly related to Hackintosh, but it is in the same realm. I have a MacBook Pro with Leopard installed. I want to run Tiger in Vmware Fusion. Right now I have a Tiger partition that I would like to use. Is there any way to get this partition of Tiger to show up in Fusion?

Ross,

I'm also curious if it's possible to create a VM of an already existing installation of Tiger. I have a work Macbook Pro with a 160GB HDD that has a Tiger Image on it, with Cisco VPN certs loaded, etc.

Well, Tiger doesn't have several things I've become accustomed to with Leopard and a work Leopard image isn't even in the picture. So, for now I've swapped Hard-Drives with a 100GB i had from an old work T60. I still have Tiger on the original MBP hard-drive and I've installed Leopard on the 100GB drive I have in the MBP now.

I'm curious if it's possible to virtualize the image of Tiger that I have on my 160GB HDD, while the 160GB HDD is running in the MBP? Then I'd like to take this image and run Tiger as a virtual machine within Leopard. So I can have my normal work environment (Leopard) but also have VPN capabilities when I really need them.

Also, there's no chance of my company allowing this, if they even knew I was running Leopard and no antivirus I'd have to return the laptop (their minds are wired by Microsoft).

Any help's appreciated,

-P2

One of the better/faster versions for VMware for windows or Fusion is 10.4.3 build 8F1099, it has better things than 10.4.1 but maybe some program coud not run without 10.4.4 to 10.4.8

Picture_1.jpg

I run this VM indistinctly on VMware for Windows or Fusion.

One of the better/faster versions for VMware for windows or Fusion is 10.4.3 build 8F1099, it has better things than 10.4.1 but maybe some program coud not run without 10.4.4 to 10.4.8

post-123-1211750510_thumb.jpg

I run this VM indistinctly on VMware for Windows or Fusion.

Is there any specific method of installation? Or is Tiger now supported to be installed into a VM.

I just used Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) to make a .DMG of my Tiger install. Is it possible to mount .DMG's as CD or USB drives in VMWare Fusion? This way I can boot from the VM into Tiger and use CCC to re-install Tiger onto a partition into the Virtual Machine, theoretically...

I'll try after classes tomorrow.

-P2

If the deadmoo method worked for tranporting the VMware imaged disk to a real disk it should work the other way too.

Installing Tiger 10.4.3 was very easy, those days were no encrypted files or need to use hacked kernel (well only for SSE2 of course), you can run 10.4.3 on Intel or AMD seamlessly, I can boot with both processors without touching anything.