vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
Do Mac's get viruses?

Yes.

But, here's the questions you should be asking.
How many types of viruses?
How much do the viruses spread?
How do they spread?

If Macs were as widely used and applied as Windows computers were, they would be as prone to viruses as much as Windows would. But, since Macs are only built by one company, they aren't as spread out as PCs are.

scottishduck

scottishduck

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
A virus is supposed to cause maximum disruption to the maximum number of people. So hackers don't bother with OSX.

sama7896

sama7896

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
this discussion on the security of a mac is old

what would really be interesting is finding out some real-life user experience from one that actually got virused, not some demo by a hacker/rumour on a security convention

that must have felt special :P

Dark Horse

Dark Horse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

PLEASE do not put "Mac's" when you mean the plural rather than the possessive, it annoys a great deal of people out there...
and yes, Macs do get viruses, but on no scale compared to Windows machines

That's pretty hilarious. You correct "Greenfinch" for his incorrect use of an apostrophe and in the process you misuse "... (meant to indicate that specific text is left out but is not necessarily useful for the purposes of the discussion at hand)," use a conjunction to link two clearly separate and distinct subjects and neglect to punctuate properly. Then, you splash a huge, garish banner across the screen.

Are you familiar with the phrase "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones?" Also, I wonder: has it ever occurred to you that some of the things you do may annoy others?

It seems people are simply here to exchange information. Anyway thanks for the humorous aside.

dh

Headrush69

Headrush69

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

If Macs were as widely used and applied as Windows computers were, they would be as prone to viruses as much as Windows would. But, since Macs are only built by one company, they aren't as spread out as PCs are.

A virus is supposed to cause maximum disruption to the maximum number of people. So hackers don't bother with OSX.

Hmm, you would think viruses for other UNIX/Linux/BSD based machines would be rampant too then since they run the majority of the Internet servers.
If it was predominately due to marketshare, why did Mac OS 7 - 9 have so many viruses/spyware compared to OS X, when OS X is so much more popular? Obviously OS design plays a big part too.

Frankly it doesn't matter if OS X can get viruses, it can spread them to Windows based machines. Anytime an outbreak hurts the Internet, it affects us all, so with free scanning options it doesn't really hurt to be on guard. :P

sacgarz

sacgarz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

PLEASE do not put "Mac's" when you mean the plural rather than the possessive, it annoys a great deal of people out there...
and yes, Macs do get viruses, but on no scale compared to Windows machines

This has got to be most lame thing I have ever heard any computer user say. That it came from a Macintosh user is simply astounding but not surprising! YOU are why people think that Mac users are arrogant and condescending. Who the heck cares how they spell Mac, Macs, Mac's or what the heck ever. I am sure it only annoyed you, not the great deal of people you say. I got my first Mac 15 years ago and still own 3, I could care less how they spell it. Leave them alone.

Andy Garza

gengstapo

gengstapo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
most alikely not, but trojan is possible :(

Ryu-ka

Ryu-ka

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Do Mac's get viruses?

Yes.

But, here's the questions you should be asking.
How many types of viruses?
How much do the viruses spread?
How do they spread?

Funny story:
http://newsgroups.de...0/msg00309.html
"The 50th time the machine is booted, a poem is displayed."

Milanche78

Milanche78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
What do you think about this
http://www.securemac...na-bulletin.php

Nameci

Nameci

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Whatever OS you have if you are not careful, you can get viruses. So far, I have never been infected with one.

My God

My God

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello.

I know nothing about Mac's so here's a simple question:
do Mac computers get viruses / spyware, etc., when on the internet?

I have heard many times that they do not. Please give me the definitive answer.

If they do, what software do you recommend to counter it?

Thanks,

G.

Yes, Mac is not immune to spy software, to detect a spy software, you could do as follow:

Step 1 Open the Activity Monitor to check for unknown process. This system tool will allow you to view the programs (processes) currently running on your computer.

Step 2 Check and Research any unfamiliar processes running in your “Activity Monitor.” Critical system processes sometimes have unrecognizable names, however, and keyloggers may have a name that sounds legitimate.

Step 3 Download and install a Mac keylogger detector or another software firewall. This type of mac software alerts you when another program tries to connect to the Internet. It will detect a keylogger for mac before it sends information over the Internet, and allow you to block it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy