Acer Aspire 5100

10 posts in this topic

I was able to install Kalyway Mac OS X Leopard :P on this laptop. I was not able to boot, I was geting "...booterX..." error which I couldn't find solution for on the net and figured out myself that there is some MBR problem, and I installed some boot manager and was able to boot it but it is geting stucked on booting on one message or sometimes it is showing 0.5sec noisy screen and then black. I added a picture of all the boot messages on my blog on this website, you can view it here.

:D:D:D Ok, and now THE GOOD NEWS! :D:D:D

I was only able to boot in Leopard when I insert installation dvd and on boot screen press F8 and then type rd=disk0s2 where "0" is my HDD number and "2" is my partition number. ONLY THEN I am able to run Leopard with about 4 minutes waiting, and also this is NOT WORKING ALWAYS!!! Sometimes it is also geting stuck:(.

And when I boot I have resolution of 1024x768 as the only possible choice. Audio is working :D . Wireless is NOT working :( , the rest is I think ok... The graphic card is ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 with shared memory of 128MB.

:(:(:(:( PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!! :(:(:(:(:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem. Everything worked immediately down to webcam, USB Bluetooth, WiFi etc etc except for my graphics card. I'm running Kalyway's 10.5.2 on an Acer Aspire 5100. The card is ATI Radeon Xpress 1100. I think the problem is from having added both the ATI drivers so I'll come back later after having changed it and see if the problem is resolved. If anyone could shed some light I'd be eternally greatful.

Hi.

I am a totally newbie to this....

My big qustion is..... IF you succed in installing... is it then posible that you could make an step by step istallation, so that noutcases like me can do it ourselfes? I know this is a big quest you are on! And i hope you will share it if its weill done :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey there guys, I have a friend who has this laptop. I will go through and test some of the installs. I am going to use the Kalyway 10.5.2 install disk. Be back in about an hour. Please post a message on this to tell me if you are still interested. lol.

UPDATE

Ok so I got Kalyway 10.5.2 working. After a bunch of premature shut offs I got it working by leaving all the options the same and only checking the AMD patches. I also used the Time Machine Fix, and the Battery Monitor patch (which didn't work)

So far

Working

Keyboard and touchpad:

Audio

Video (is default driver, no QE/CI)

Not Working:

USB (Sucks hardcore)

Wireless

So does anybody have any drivers for these non working issues? Or any ideas where to get some?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys, why are you using 10.5.2 or 10.5.6 ?

With iDeneb 10.5.8 Lite almost everything works out of the box.

Working:

Sound, LAN (wired), USB, Trackpad, Battery, FN keys, Display 1280x800x32 (with Callysto 003 QGL working but no QE/CI )

PCMCIA, and Apple update

Not Working

Webcam, WiFi, SD card reader and Sleep option

This is what I had selected during installation

- iDeneb Main System ˇ

- Chameleon 1.0.12

- 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

- Apple Decrypt

- Disabler

- DSDT

- TimeMachine Fix

- VoodooPS2 Trackpad

- AboutThisMac Fix

- SystemProfiler Fix

- AppleHDA

- Firewire Remove

- IOPCMCIA

- SD/SDHDCI

- AppleATIATA

- Voodoo Battery

EDIT:

got WiFi working :unsure:

HOW?

Replace Atheros PCI-E card with compatible PCI card like Broadcom BCM4318

Callisto_b003fixed.zip

• 4 months later...
Guys, why are you using 10.5.2 or 10.5.6 ?

With iDeneb 10.5.8 Lite almost everything works out of the box.

Working:

Sound, LAN (wired), USB, Trackpad, Battery, FN keys, Display 1280x800x32 (with Callysto 003 QGL working but no QE/CI )

PCMCIA, and Apple update

Not Working

Webcam, WiFi, SD card reader and Sleep option

This is what I had selected during installation

- iDeneb Main System ˇ

- Chameleon 1.0.12

- 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

- Apple Decrypt

- Disabler

- DSDT

- TimeMachine Fix

- VoodooPS2 Trackpad

- AboutThisMac Fix

- SystemProfiler Fix

- AppleHDA

- Firewire Remove

- IOPCMCIA

- SD/SDHDCI

- AppleATIATA

- Voodoo Battery

EDIT:

got WiFi working ;)

HOW?

Replace Atheros PCI-E card with compatible PCI card like Broadcom BCM4318

Hi

Where i can replace the PCI card??

Thanks..

Hi

Where i can replace the PCI card??

Thanks..

You can take the laptop to your local PC wizard icon13.gif ?$ :tomato: or like I did, DIY@HOME ;)

- Buy or order a Broadcom BCM4318 mini PCI WiFi ( I found mine in a fried-up Dell laptop :D )

- Disconnect the AC adapter and take out the battery

- Press and hold the power button 10 sec to discharge residual electricity

- Remove the bottom cover plate

- In this pic You can see the PCI WiFi

laptop-disassembly-05.jpg

The PCI-e Wifi (if You have one) is situated next to the memory, covered with black plastic foil. The black and white cables will lead to it.

- Replace the WiFi card ( be very careful with the areal cable connectors )

- Reassemble your laptop

- Boot and edit AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext BCM43xx driver

Good Luck!

p.s. There is an less elegant but cheap alternative EM4454 USB but don't use supplied drivers, download the latest version instead MacOS-10.3-10.4-10.5.zip

• 2 years later...