:poster_oops: .dmg mounting issue after upgrading to 10.4.4 or 10.4.5

The White Rabbit

4 posts in this topic

Hi there !

Starting a new thread about another issue some of us have encountered just after upgrading our 10.4.3 to 10.4.4 or 10.4.4 to 10.4.5 using someone's patches and method.

Of course, everything went fine during upgrade ; no error at all for my part.

But after chmoding, chowning and repairing permissions, from separate 10.4.3 and from 10.4.5 (sorry I didn't take the time to test it from 10.4.4 for I've upgraded it to 10.4.5 as soon as it worked), I'm still unable to mount .dmg files from 10.4.5 ...

More precisely, I get an hdiutil error ("Device is not configured") everytime I try to.

Last WE I played for a while with 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 disk / FS related extensions, trying to downgrade some of theme to fix the issue, but nothing did it.

After a new "googling" about this hdiutil specific error, I found in the command's man page that such an issue could be related to a .kext called "IOHDIXController" unable to load at startup.

So I wonder if replacing the 10.4.5 one - assuming there is one - by a 10.4.4 or 10.4.3 version could solve the problem.

Not at home to test for the moment, but I'm gonna try it tonight.

And pleade tell me about any progress ...

Any help welcome !

PAX !

P.S. : further investigations make me think that the Private Framework called "DiskImages" (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework) could obviously be faulty.

So let's play with this one too ...

Plz post your findings ...

Upgrading 10.4.4 from 10.4.3, I had the same problem, solved this way:

- booting onto 10.4.3

- repairing permissions of 10.4.4 from the system 10.4.3

- rebooting onto 10.4.4

- repairing permissions of 10.4.4 again but from 10.4.4

So the problem is bound to 10.4.5 kexts ... but instead of replacing all of them with 10.4.4 or 10.4.3 kexts - and lose all benefits of the new ones -, I think we should investigate to find the faulty one, so that we could downgrade only this specific file ...

Only if you get the .dmg issue after upgrading to 10.4.5, please try replacing IOHDIXController.kext v. 10.4.5 by the 10.4.4 one and test ; if it still doesn't make it, please try the 10.4.3 one too ... and of course don't forget to chmod-chown-repairPermissions-delete kextcache and extensions.mkext every time you change the kext.

PAX !