MediaDirect button + XP + Leopard = Dual-Boot :)

74 posts in this topic

hi,

i've experienced a strange issue.

After reinstalling EFI bootloader (and a clone of Leopard), i loosed mediadirect boot ability (until here, it's normal); but xp was unable to start properly. it booted, but show me this error:

"Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Session manager initialization system process

terminated unexpectedly with a status of

0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down."

Fortunatly, after a backup of my old MRB, everything works.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks everyone who helped make this guide possible. I'm so excited I made it this far, now just one last issue. My data from the bootsector looks nothing like the one posted here. If anyone is familar with this it would be awesome if you could help me save a little bit more time.

whatnowtz2.jpg

EDIT:

Got it working by changing that one 75 to a 74, it was surrounded by similar numbers but was in a different location. It works, just not sure exactly what I am changing though :D

• 4 weeks later...

HI

i did all (but with another hex editor but i think that isn´t the problem)

my big problem is that when i press the MediaDirect button it also shows the:

H1ED86000

HFS+ partition error

what can i do??? plz help me!!!!

BIG THX FOR HELP!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a free solution which is also good to use!

I used the Ultimate Boot CD and then I went to Hard disk tools > Low Level Editing and I used the PDT Editing tool or something like that. Works great if you know a bit of DOS :P and it is free too!

Thanks for the great tutorial, but also include yahoop his table because I had the same 'problem'. It worked great here too on my M1530 :)

Is this compatible if your drive is formatted with GUID and not MBR? I'm using GUID because Vista x64 SP1 works with it natively and so does OS X.

Edit: I guess not, unless someone knows a trick. When I try to run rmbr.exe, I get two error messages. One says that it can not modify the MBR, and the other is from MacDrive saying I can not modify Mac disks.

I have this working on my m1330 with vista mapped to the power button and leopard to the media direct button

I partitioned with parted magic

installed leopard on the second partition (booted it up to make sure it was working)

installed vista on the first partition

used md disk and ran the rmbr.exe from vista comand prompt (switched the 2 and the 1 around since my partitions were setup opposit)

in vista used macdrive (the trial works for this) to mount the leopard volume

ended up useing hxd hex editor instead of acronics because its free to make the hex edits noted in the first post

rebooted and checked that both booted properly and I was good to go :P

thanks to everyone who contributed to figuring this out!

• 5 weeks later...
Congratulations! Has anyone got it working on GUID/GPT yet? There's got to be a way to do it. Right now the MD button boots just like the regular power button does except it shows the Media Direct screen instead of the Dell screen.

I have the same question. Does this trick works works with GUID partition Tables? It would be great 'cause it would let us install Leopard using the Boot 132 method (wich means safer updates) and also we would be booting Leopard witth Media Direct Button

Well, I hope anyone could be so kind to help us out with this.

Thanks in advance for the assistance

Rocko

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm trying to do this patch, but when I dump the bootsector for Leo (sda3 for me), it looks completely different from the lines you've posted. I'm suspecting that I've got a different bootloader (I installed iAtkos with the Chameleon bootloader), would this be the problem? I don't remember if chameleon gets installed to MBR or just the partition. I've attached a screenshot of what mine looks like.

I'm really hoping to get this working!

[EDIT] Wonderful news - I ran rmbr.exe, and the MediaDirect key now works to boot Leopard *without* having to patch the boot record. It looks like Chameleon (at least, the version packaged in iAtkos 4.1i) already has the active partition check disabled! [/EDIT]

post-314662-1226279261_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the MediaDirect button to boot up Mac and power button to boot up Vista, however I did not need to amend the boot record for Leo. Simply running \dellkit\rmbr.exe 1 2 was enough.

I have Vista on partition 1 and Mac on 2. Dell's 2 default hidden partitions have been removed and a new partition was created for Mac (iAtkos 10.5.5 install).

Altough the buttons work fine, there is a problem because I have a Dell M1330 with GeForce 8400M GS (no shutdown fix as yet). This setup means I cannot shutdown properly by holding down the power button anymore when the screen goes black. I now have to take out the laptop battery to shut it down.

• 4 weeks later...

after running rmbr with the options "rmbr.exe DELL 2 3" i could not boot with dmd-button at all :-(

(since i kept the little dell-partition install winxp on the second primary and osx on the third)

strange thing is, that i didn't even get the error message "HFS+ partition error". dmd-bootscreen just shows up and freezes.

i edited the relevant hex code in hfs-mbr anyway. it was not located at the beginning of the partition but in some place later (first bytes looked the same as the ones from "yahoop" and "HunterGuy2")

before the whole procedure i had been using smartbootmanager for choosing os. i uninstalled before trying to make mediabutton work. now i reinstalled it again, so i can use macos in the meantime - it works fine again with the changed hex-code too...

still i'ld like to make it work. i gues it's some problem with that "strange" rmbr.exe - seems like it doesn't even try to get to the hfs partition.

the code in my com.apple.Boot.plist file is: <key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>-NONE</string>

(<key>Quiet Boot</key> doesnt't exist)

for installing i used "universal installer with "efi cameleon patcher" on an external harddrive and put an copy of the wohle partition on the third primary patition of my harddrive.... i would be happy about any ideas for an solution.

thank you

*Edit*I'm not sure about, that this might help to find the problem (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...9086&page=8):

I think the key here is that the replacement MBR dsd ended up with is in fact a non-MD MBR, so he has been misled by his disassembly of the code. Mark has previously detailed the problem when the first descriptor in the partition table is 'active', and I suspect this is the situation dsd created for himself when he wiped the disk and reinstalled. Running mbrfixer.exe afterward installed a MBR incapable of booting any of the special Dell partitions (DellRestore, HPA MD, or non-HPA MD), so subsequently disassembling the MBR code will, naturally, not reveal how those partitions are
supposed
to boot.

FTR, I don't have a system with MD installed on it, but based on the MBRs Mark has sent me, I can tell you the following. Bear in mind, dsd, that you're not looking at a true Dell MBR. Here's how a true Dell MBR is supposed to work:

DellRestore: custom MBR looks over partition table for a partition of type 'DB'. If found, change 'DB' to '0C', make that partition 'active', then continue with typical boot process (i.e., pass control to the 'active' partition).

non-HPA MediaDirect: custom MBR looks over partition table for a partition of type 'D7'. If found, changes 'D7' to '07' and makes it 'active', then continue with typical boot process.

HPA MediaDirect: custom MBR (i.e., LBA Sector 0) looks for extra boot code in LBA Sector 3. If found, runs that code. The extra LBA3 code has within it a "fifth" partition table entry representing the hidden HPA partition. Through an orchestration of GETMAX/SETMAX commands and on-the-fly rewrite of the partition table, the MBR exposes the HPA and boots the partition within it.

Since i don't know engought about the backround (and not even wether mediadirect is installed in mbr or hpa on my machine) i'm afraid to mess up something by changing type of the mac-hfs-partition to "DB" or "D7" with some mbr-tool.

Is there anybody smart enough out there... please? :-)

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone is following this topic anymore but I tried this an ended up with a mess:

My Partition setup is:

disk0s1 DellUtility

disk0s2 RECOVERY

disk0s3 VISTA

Extended:

disk0s5 HACKINGTOSH

disk0s6 MEDIADIRECT

After running rmrbr 3 5, shutdown and starting with MD button I got the MD splash and nothing else. Trying to start with normal power button gave me a "No boot device" error. ARGHHH!

GParted liveCD showed no partions at all anymore!!!

Luckily I had installed OSX on an extenal HD as well and restored a backup of the MBR. dd-ing it back to /dev/rdisk0 suddenly revealed my old partitions. PHEW!

Any suggestion as to wether this was caused by the omission of 75 -> 74 (code was different, maybe I should have read on) or by the fact that OSX is on a logical partition iso a primary partition?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I've managed to customize a bootloader "XOSL" (one of the best bootloaders) so I can choose which OS I want to boot with the MediaDirect button, using a checkbox in its GUI :)

With this, you can boot whatever partition you want, even logical ones, unlike the "rmbr" alternative. Still, MacOSX needs to be on a primary partition to boot.

If it interests someone, I will post a complete guide with a link to download the customized XOSL.

If you don't know this bootloader, check thoses screenshots : http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/shots.html

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone

I've managed to customize a bootloader "XOSL" (one of the best bootloaders) so I can choose which OS I want to boot with the MediaDirect button, using a checkbox in its GUI :)

With this, you can boot whatever partition you want, even logical ones, unlike the "rmbr" alternative. Still, MacOSX needs to be on a primary partition to boot.

If it interests someone, I will post a complete guide with a link to download the customized XOSL.

If you don't know this bootloader, check thoses screenshots : http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/shots.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hopefully going to attempt this soon on a dell inspiron 1525 to use the MD button for leopard and power button for vista. The laptop has MD3.5 on but this never worked very well with Blue rays after the updates. You may be interested to know that version 4 can be installed in vista and works much better when updated without affecting the version on the MD partition. The partition still worked even when the vista version was totally uninstalled.

I hope to install the OSX in this MD partition (expanded from space from C drive) and would like to use the XOSL method but need to do some more research 1st. But would this be viable as the beginning of the MD partition would be moved? It would remain a primary partition. Otherwise an extended partition would need to be created in between the 2 in the shrunken space.

This customised bootlader sounds good is there a download link for kasawebs version and that guide that was mentioned maybe?

:)

• 5 months later...

I followed to the letter but did not find the number 75 in any of the first two rows, the third had a 74 and two 75 did not change anything. Segui with the tutorial and finished it. I boot XP and when he throws to pull the Hackintosh starts the program but did not come to run tells me I have to restart your computer ....

• 4 months later...