Anyone installed it on a HP NW8440?

gn!uz

16 posts in this topic

Hey,

I tried to install it using the 10.4.8. JaS SSE3 Intel only. I deselected all options except: 10.4.8. Combo, SSE3 hack Semtex. After a succesfull installation it reboots and hangs with this message:

panic(cpu1 caller....unresolved kernel trap cpu 1, type 14=page fault)..

some lines below Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0

Anyone got an idea? Its an Intel Centrino Duo T2600

I'm wondering which steps I have to take to get this thing booting.. And are people here having success with an ATI FireGL?

Many thanks..

Hey,

I tried to install it using the 10.4.8. JaS SSE3 Intel only. I deselected all options except: 10.4.8. Combo, SSE3 hack Semtex. After a succesfull installation it reboots and hangs with this message:

panic(cpu1 caller....unresolved kernel trap cpu 1, type 14=page fault)..

some lines below Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0

Anyone got an idea? Its an Intel Centrino Duo T2600

I'm wondering which steps I have to take to get this thing booting.. And are people here having success with an ATI FireGL?

Many thanks..

You need to tell OSX to disable one of the CPUs.

During bootup, press F8.

Then type in:

cpus=1

That will get the system to boot.

I've been able to get the Video graphics working just fine, using no additional packages. I set the graphics mode in the boot parameters. I have not been able to get the network card functioning, which is driving me to distraction.

--Shawn

Thanks for your reply.. At least someone with an nw8440.. Can you describe which components (hacks) you installed to get it running..?

Also, you are saying I need to disable one cpu. But which steps will make core duo work? And what about sata and the Ati FireGL? Aaahhh.. This seems like a very nice system to run osx on.. But sadly there's little info about this puppy..

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply.. At least someone with an nw8440.. Can you describe which components (hacks) you installed to get it running..?

Also, you are saying I need to disable one cpu. But which steps will make core duo work? And what about sata and the Ati FireGL? Aaahhh.. This seems like a very nice system to run osx on.. But sadly there's little info about this puppy..

Thanks again!

Sadly, I'm forced to use this PC at work, the machine in my sig has been sold, I am working on a new AMDX2 machine for HTPC... I use a Mac Pro at home, wife has a Macbook. The 10.4.8 JaS Install works out of the gate on the video. I just had to make the resolution a boot parameter. Still trying to get the Ethernet to work. I've tried several BCM hacks. Sound is not working yet, but network was more important ;-)

OK...

Got the Onboard Nic working using several postings and created a working IONetworkingFamily.kext that works with my HP nw8440.

The instructions for the most part are here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=24479

I did have to set the mac address and run repair disk permissions before it worked, But works like champ now.

I have attached the kext below.

I'm going to start on tearing and sound now...

--Shawn

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Well finally some luck to get the system to boot.. I *fixed* my issue: panic(cpu1 caller....unresolved kernel trap cpu 1, type 14=page fault) by setting the -z option (Semthex parameter for setting FSB=166MHz) and all went well.

It seems my NIC is recognized by default, no sound, and video with QE/CI out of the box indeed but I get some artifacts and cannot set the resolution by default. I only tried to set the parameter "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" and that did not work.. In your sig I read you are using 1400x1050x32? Is this correct? I tried borisbadenov to fix the 5200 but that results in a black screen...

Hey,

Well finally some luck to get the system to boot.. I *fixed* my issue: panic(cpu1 caller....unresolved kernel trap cpu 1, type 14=page fault) by setting the -z option (Semthex parameter for setting FSB=166MHz) and all went well.

It seems my NIC is recognized by default, no sound, and video with QE/CI out of the box indeed but I get some artifacts and cannot set the resolution by default. I only tried to set the parameter "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" and that did not work.. In your sig I read you are using 1400x1050x32? Is this correct? I tried borisbadenov to fix the 5200 but that results in a black screen...

I tried using 1600x1200x32 and it automatically set the screen to 1400x1050x32.

Have you figured out what the sound card is? or what drivers we might need?

--Shawn

• 4 months later...

Hi I was just trying all the combinations in the forum about mobility x1600 on the FireGL V5200 but none of them work. Somehow get the feeling the EDID I got from phoniex 1.3 is wrong... So I guess 1400x1050 is the max we can get?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, search by nx9420, that one with ATIinject worked with nw8440. Chunnan's rev8 will make the PCMCIA working. For sound has to go found the universal HP laptop mute button fix.

hi guys, i'm new here so be nice.

I'm also going to install this on a NW8440

I will be using Atkos 2.0 is that correct? Should I still disable the CPU? Is there a recommended guide I should follow? i'm a total noob with mac os. But I am familiar with all other IT related stuff. Just want to run macos on this laptop.

Thanks for helping guys.

Bist

Hi, Also got the nw8440.

to Bist:

- Installed today with iAtkos 2.0i. Had to disable 2nd Core, ATA Native and Virtualization (all of them in the BIOS)

This is What I did:

- Had Win XP installed (but wouldn't care I it get messed up, I planned on reinstalling if something went wrong).

1. Using Paragon Partition Manager I resized my Win XP Partition and made a new fat32.

2. Disabled setting in BIOS (see above) and booted Leopard DVD. used -v but works without it.

3. Opened Disk Utility, selected FAT32 part and select ERASE (Apple Journaled; first option)

4. Customized Install

a) First attempt selected:

- ATI 1600

- INTEL SATA

- SPEED STEP

RESULT: boots till the point it seems to enter OS X and suddenly... Black Screen (waited for 10 mins and nothing) I pressed the sensor that activates when you close the laptop and the result was a solid, light blue screen. nothing more.

:) Second attempt: Clean Install not even pressed the customize button.

RESULT: Boots to OS X, the welcome video played nicely.

Graphics: only 1024x768 and lots of artifacts

Sound: Seems Its detected even the buttons for volume and mute work (seems to turn up and down the volume in the graphic displayed by apple) but the orange led next to mute keps on and no sound. I think there is a fix for this somewhre.

USB: Working, attached some external HD's.

DVD: recognized and capable of burning (not tested).

Maybe you can chose some options and customize your install someway to make it work (kernel's or something).

The boot loader works great but now if I select windows I will crash at a Blue Screen. (I read somewhere that if you insert windows CD and chose repair It will work again, then you need to chose MAC partition as bootable. BTW I'm reinstalling windows instead of repairing, I'll post the result).

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Post your results please!

• 2 months later...

Ok I got it to work but can anyone please tell me step by step how to get the onboard nic to work. I don't understand a thing on what files I should edit. I tried a few thing but i'm lost here. What driver will work and wht should I do?

All these bits and pieces are just not doing it for me.

What I also would like to know is how I can permenanty can make sure that he boot with the optio "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32". What file should I edit to make it a permanent setting?

Thanks mates

• 2 months later...